Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A-thrifting we will go...

Default A-thrifting we will go...

Why in the world should anybody want to buy used clothing?!

For one thing, it's become fashionable (no pun intended), and with good reason. We can feel good about stretching our clothing budget and demonstrate our frugality in a tough economy--and look good doing it.

And if you think this is just for the have-nots, think again. My local representative to Congress is married to a gorgeous English girl half his age and a good half foot taller. Awhile back, there was a piece in the local paper about her shopping in thrift stores and consignment shops, and the lovely items she finds. This is a gal whose husband is in national politics and who can afford to shop retail. She's also bright enough not to confine herself to retail, and manages to look perennially fabulous in "gently pre-owned."

Of course, when I discussed this with the owner of a local consignment shop, we both nodded our heads sagely and said, "Of course, SHE'D look good in a burlap sack."

I've been thrifting for ages, well before it was cool or they even had a name for it. In fact, I've found so much good stuff I've had to list it on eBid!

Quote Originally Posted by rethreads View Post
    Why in the world should anybody want to buy used clothing?!

For one thing, it's become fashionable (no pun intended), and with good reason. We can feel good about stretching our clothing budget and demonstrate our frugality in a tough economy--and look good doing it.

And if you think this is just for the have-nots, think again. My local representative to Congress is married to a gorgeous English girl half his age and a good half foot taller. Awhile back, there was a piece in the local paper about her shopping in thrift stores and consignment shops, and the lovely items she finds. This is a gal whose husband is in national politics and who can afford to shop retail. She's also bright enough not to confine herself to retail, and manages to look perennially fabulous in "gently pre-owned."

Of course, when I discussed this with the owner of a local consignment shop, we both nodded our heads sagely and said, "Of course, SHE'D look good in a burlap sack."

I've been thrifting for ages, well before it was cool or they even had a name for it. In fact, I've found so much good stuff I've had to list it on eBid!

That's usually the only way I buy clothing. Love it!! Especially 'like' items sold in lots too, you know...lot of ladies medium tops..things like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubysafira View Post
    That's usually the only way I buy clothing. Love it!! Especially 'like' items sold in lots too, you know...lot of ladies medium tops..things like that.
    I buy most of my clothes used too. Then if I need to fill in with something that I have to buy at retail, I can without breaking the bank. And I think the variety is so much better when you don't just see half a dozen of the same items.

Forum Diehard
    View lilused's Feedback (+183)
    All-About lilused
    View lilused's Listings
    Forum Posts

I like to buy used too, (have to, actually) but there is another bonus. If it is washable, already has done shrinking, and fading. You can see how it takes to laundering.

View pearlygirl555's Feedback (+203)
    All-About pearlygirl555
    View pearlygirl555's Listings
    Forum Posts

Since I make my own clothes I don't shop for used garments, but I do buy things for mom there. All her items have to be slit down the back as she is bedridden, and for a dollar or so a garment I don't feel like I am taking a liberty with the item.

One thing I notice consistently is that the older garments are better made than the new, even among the non-designer labels. You have to go back about 20 years or more but there is a reason those items manage to look good after so many years, even if they have been enjoyed for a lot of those years.
    "You're a guest of nature.....so behave!"

Quote Originally Posted by pearlygirl555 View Post
    Since I make my own clothes I don't shop for used garments, but I do buy things for mom there. All her items have to be slit down the back as she is bedridden, and for a dollar or so a garment I don't feel like I am taking a liberty with the item.

One thing I notice consistently is that the older garments are better made than the new, even among the non-designer labels. You have to go back about 20 years or more but there is a reason those items manage to look good after so many years, even if they have been enjoyed for a lot of those years.
    I am very impressed that you make all your own clothes. How clever you must be. I don't do much more than hem jeans any more, honestly.
    But yes, one reason sisters and I shop this way is that if we wear something for one season, we've more than gotten our money's worth. And if some accident should befall something, we can afford to be a little more philosophical about it.

All-About pearlygirl555
    Forum Posts

I'm not that clever, I just do the same pattern over and over again with short or long sleeves

But I do love the capes I've made, I lined them with amazing shiny material, really enjoy looking at boughten garments with interesting linings too.

Quote Originally Posted by pearlygirl555 View Post
    I'm not that clever, I just do the same pattern over and over again with short or long sleeves

But I do love the capes I've made, I lined them with amazing shiny material, really enjoy looking at boughten garments with interesting linings too.
    Sorry, but it still sounds clever to me. AND ambitious. LOL

All-About pearlygirl555
    Forum Posts

It does give me a reason to hoard plenty of fabric

Forum Saint
    Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey, United Kingdom
    View meebo1's Feedback (+7886)
    All-About meebo1
    View meebo1's Listings
    Forum Posts

My daughter has been the one to buy 2nd hand clothes, while I used to make most of my own and the children's when they were small. Even made a suit for OH once But then I started work in a clothes shop and all that stopped, as we had to wear current fashion from the shop. But now I am 'retired' I intend to start again, especially as I find the current fashion uninspiring (must be getting old)

Thread Information