eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything you need to know about the NSPCC and my challenge.

Thumbs up Everything you need to know about the NSPCC and my challenge.

I've started this thread so that folk will know exactly what I'm doing, what the charity is, and why I'm doing it.

I've included all the information that I can think off, so everything anyone could want to know should be here in this thread for all to read.

What is the NSPCC?

The National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children.

Most of their work is with children, young people and their families. They also work to achieve cultural, social and political change - influencing legislation, policy, practice, public attitudes and behaviours and delivering services for the benefit of young people.

They want to see a society where all children are loved, valued and able to fulfil their potential. To do this, they have four objectives:

1 To mobilise everyone to take action to end child cruelty.

2 To give children the help, support and environment they need to stay safe from cruelty.

3 To find ways of working with communities to keep children safe from cruelty.

4 To be, and be seen as, someone to turn to for children and young people.

They have 180 community-based projects and run the NSPCC Helpline and ChildLine in the UK and the Channel Islands.

After the death of baby P calls to the NSPCC Helpline have risen by 30%

The charity walk.

The HACK 2009 – Hike Against Cruelty to Kids - is a 25-mile sponsored challenge walk to raise money for the NSPCC in September 2009. The course has to be completed within 12 hours.

The hike takes place in the stunning Yorkshire Dales National Park, where I will join other walkers through natural woodlands, valleys, viaducts and gorges and climb the pinnacle of the Ingleborough peak, Yorkshire's most famous flat top mountain which stands at 2,373ft tall, to enjoy one of the best views in England. Then I will walk back down through picturesque villages, finishing in Clapham, close to the birthplace of one of the founders of the NSPCC, Benjamin Waugh.

This is Ingleborough Massif, the mountain that I have to climb.

You can sponsor me and keep an eye on how much I have raised so far by going to my sponsorship page HERE. You can sponsor me using Paypal, credit card, or debit card. It's quick and easy.
    Last edited by yorkiesauctions; 4th August 2009 at 07:32 PM.
    Yorkie

My FaceBook page.
    My Twitter page.
    My YouTube channel.

Mention eBid if you add me on FaceBook or Twitter so I know where you are from.

To give you some idea of the walk I have posted the maps below.

Yorkie

My FaceBook page.
    My Twitter page.
    My YouTube channel.

Maps continued...

Yorkie

My FaceBook page.
    My Twitter page.
    My YouTube channel.

My aim, why, and preperation.

My aim is simple, to raise as much as I possibly can for the NSPCC to help them put an end to cruelty to children.

Apart from wanting to raise funds for the NSPCC I am also doing this challenge for several personal reasons. The reasons are as follows...

1 I had a poor early childhood, hence why I tend to support childrens charities. I don't have any spare money so I thought that the challenge walk would be a good way of me supporting the NSPCC and raising funds for them.

2 I've got to the stage in life where I am bored with always staying in my comfort zone, I want to push myself more.

3 I've never done a walk like this before and I've certainly never climbed a mountian, so this gives me a chance to push myself.

4 I suffer from Asthma and I have a severe fear of heights, this will give me a chance find my limits and face one of my biggest fears.

Preperation.

I have invested in some proper walking equipment, a good backpack, walking trousers, walking boots, walking socks (yeah I never knew there was such a thing either!), a waterproof lightweight coat, and other eqipment.

I'm learning how to calibrate a compass and how to use it along with the maps. I never knew that maps use true north whereas a compass obviously uses magnetic north. Good job I found out now innit!

I've been walking as much as I can but have been restricted because of work and family commitments. I've managed a few 10 mile walks up to Saddleworth Moors and back and I've started walking to and from my second job three times a week (it's an 8 mile round trip). I plan to walk to Uppermill and back this weekend or next weekend, that's an 18 mile round trip. I've also walked to Holmfirth and back too, that's 16 miles.

One thing I have realised from preparing for this walk is that I am fitter than I had realised, which is good.

Here are a couple of maps of the walks that I've done and one of a planned walk that I will do soon.

Last edited by yorkiesauctions; 4th August 2009 at 11:16 AM.
    Yorkie

My FaceBook page.
    My Twitter page.
    My YouTube channel.

Conclusion.

I am determined to do my best for this charity, it is something which I think is very worthwhile and deserves our support for all the good and essential work that they do.

I am a little nervous about doing the challenge, mainly because I don't want to let folk down, but also because I will be facing my biggest phobia when I climb Ingleborough Massif. I think that I'll manage the distance okay but the time limit and the mountain climb make the challenge a lot harder than simply walking 25 miles.

I think I'll complete the course on time, I'm looking forward to doing it and I am nervous at the same time.

I set my fund raising target at £250 because it has cost me around £200 to buy all the eqipment and for the registeration fee, but I am way past that target already so I'm happy about that. I still aim to push the fundraising though because every little extra will help the NSPCC and the children, so the more I raise the better.

Oh yeah! I nearly forgot...

This is the poster I made and have been using to gain sponsorship.

Last edited by yorkiesauctions; 4th August 2009 at 10:16 AM.
    Yorkie

My FaceBook page.
    My Twitter page.
    My YouTube channel.

Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View Huddylion's Feedback (+4843)
    All-About Huddylion
    View Huddylion's Listings
    Forum Posts

Nice one Frank, rather you than me ,just wish I could mange something like that.
    Pleased we choose you for the next YDC, another fantastic charity,and I do hope that,EVERYONE will do it for you on the next YDC,am sure most will, I know I will be doing it for your charity walk
    Well done that man.

My feedback of
    is 100% positive and has all been earnt here on Ebid

Cheers Pete, it'll be a struggle but I think I'll manage it....just!

I'm dead chuffed about the next YDC, it will be a massive boost for the NSPCC.

I've been gobsmacked by the support I've received with this, folk have been brilliant.

I think I have broken the £500 mark now, I can't be sure until I've collected all the offline donations but it looks like I have around £120 to add to the current total of £402.

At least when I'm crapping missen climbing that chuffin Ingleborough I'll know that it's all worth it. lol

Thanks for all the support folks!, you're a good bunch.
    Yorkie

My FaceBook page.
    My Twitter page.
    My YouTube channel.

...BY ECK MR CARR............now i deff know ure more mental than i thought lol thats one mighty big walk ure doing there.....BUT YOU WILL DO IT.....if anyone can you can........but good luck its gonna be a hard one......shut up lol

View Rednosty's Feedback (+998)
    All-About Rednosty
    View Rednosty's Listings
    Forum Posts

Huh that mountains Easy peasy it only about 2" high on my scree

Vintage Mechanical and Quartz Watches
    and collectables

Click on the link to enter my store

Why not visit my New Store. Where you will find almost anything

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Rednostys-All-Sorts-Store

Quote Originally Posted by Rednosty View Post
    Huh that mountains Easy peasy it only about 2" high on my scree
    Phew! that's a relief then, I'll just step over the bugga.
    Yorkie

My FaceBook page.
    My Twitter page.
    My YouTube channel.

Thread Information