Forum Newbie
    Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View lyterain's Feedback (+2)
    All-About lyterain
    View lyterain's Listings
    Forum Posts

Red face Payment Options

Hi there,
    Just reigistered a month ago and decided to do the BIG move from FEEbay. However I'm a little confused about the payment methods here. I have registered with PPPay.com and I also have a paypal account.

What I wanted to know was which would you recommend as a seller?

I prefer to use Paypal as I've had my account with them for years and their fees won't be so bad now I don't have to pay out for ebay. PPPay.com confuses me a bit. I was wondering about the escrow service.

Would you have to send items recorded delivery using escrow?

I've sent a few items recorded delivery in the past and I haven't always got a signature or confirmation of delivery from Royal Mail :-S

Has there ever been a case of a buyer receiving goods but not confirming with Escrow that they have, what would happen in such a case?

Also if the buyer prefers to use escrow could I charge the price for recorded delivery on top of the BUY IT NOW price? (Obviously after the listing as ended and the buyer confirms they want to use the escrow service).

I prefer to provide free shipping but when I use that I send my items 2nd class so no tracking number there.

I think that's everything. I seriously need to make back all the money I lost on ebay (how they get away with it is a wonder).

Many Thanks

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

The more payment options you provide the more chance of making a sale. PayPal is still the buyer's favourite means of paying so the seller has to go along with that. It would be good if PPPay seriously took PayPal on but, to be honest, they don't seem interested in even making a half hearted attempt.

PPPay is useful when both the buyer and seller have accounts there as there are no transaction fees for transfers between accounts. There are issues with PPPay that can confuse new users and have led to several sellers removing it as an option from their listings.

Escrow is explained at: https://www.pppay.com/help_centre.php?mo=escrow#4 and answers your query regarding what happens if a buyer fails to notify receipt of the goods. What is not clear (to me anyway) is who notifies the seller that the item has arrived - as stated at 4.6

If the buyer wishes to use a payment or mail service other than is offered in the listing then it is up to them to negotiate that with the seller along with any addition fees involved.

Most people ( especialy the ones migrating from feebay) are used to Paypal, so it is always a good idea to offer it amongst other methods.
    After a while, you will notice which method your buyers tend to prefer.
    Why not take a quick look at my Stores?

Find all kinds of books HERE

Find 'Plus Size' Clothes HERE

Find NEW tiny Baby Stuff HERE

Find 'Bits & Bobs' HERE

View klj's Feedback (+3320)
    All-About klj
    View klj's Listings
    Forum Posts

I might just add that escrow services usually only come into play when you are dealing with an expensive item, or have some concerns about the item/seller. It isn't used as an ordinary means of purchase for everything. There are other escrow services available if you don't sign up with PPPay and have a buyer that wants escrow.
    Google is another option used here quite a bit for payments, and is very much like PayPal.

Forum Lurker
    View Bitsofthis's Feedback (+50)
    All-About Bitsofthis
    View Bitsofthis's Listings
    Forum Posts

I dont have a paypal account, however I still manage to sell things. I find that most my buyers use Google Checkout, only 1 has used PPPay and another has sent a cheque.

With not having paypal, I do try to offer as many forms of payments as possible. Personally I love Nochex as the buyer does not have to register for an account and the fees are cheaper than the others.

Thread Information