eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Store criticism welcomed! Sales are slow

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View gyronny's Feedback (+1772)
    All-About gyronny
    View gyronny's Listings
    Forum Posts

I think one needs to suspend modern attitudes and just go along for the ride. I was hooked before I even started reading, I thought the idea of taking the school bully from Tom Brown and making him a reluctant hero was brilliant.
    Flashy is a braggart, a lecher a bully and a coward, but his saving grace is he has no illusions about himself.
    I think it's just so funny, how he accidentally exploits Victorian sentiment and ends up a General and VC winner while remaining an arch cad.
    That said, the books show an astonishing knowledge of the period and are informative without being dull or boring. There aren't many novels that have footnotes that I read and follow up on.
    They can be read in any order, but it's best to stick to the chronological sequence, which was not the order they were published in
    I'd try again, Kimbo and keep the tongue in cheek aspect firmly in mind. I hope you enjoy them, they're a rich and satisfying read.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gyronny View Post
    I think one needs to suspend modern attitudes and just go along for the ride. I was hooked before I even started reading, I thought the idea of taking the school bully from Tom Brown and making him a reluctant hero was brilliant.
    Flashy is a braggart, a lecher a bully and a coward, but his saving grace is he has no illusions about himself.
    I think it's just so funny, how he accidentally exploits Victorian sentiment and ends up a General and VC winner while remaining an arch cad.
    That said, the books show an astonishing knowledge of the period and are informative without being dull or boring. There aren't many novels that have footnotes that I read and follow up on.
    They can be read in any order, but it's best to stick to the chronological sequence, which was not the order they were published in
    I'd try again, Kimbo and keep the tongue in cheek aspect firmly in mind. I hope you enjoy them, they're a rich and satisfying read.
    I'll give it another go, if I find a later book going cheap at a booty or something. I don't think it's a matter of "modern values" particularly, I read a lot of period stuff that has some casual bigotry that would get modern books banned, but I don't have a problem with things being "of their age". Perhaps I just find the character too unlikable to care. But I will give it another go.

All-About gyronny
    View gyronny's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hope you enjoy it!

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hope you enjoy it!
    I'll report back when I do.

Wink Got some Suggestions

Hi thought i'd take a quick look at your store and i have to say i cant see anything fundamentally wrong. The scanned pics of your books are clear so the buyer knows exactly what they are getting (much better than a hazy pic). Have you thought of adding a womens/romance section of books they are always quite popular. Or how about a book sale e.g 3/2 offer. Although you include a snippet of what the book is about how about a full synopsis of the book to really stir the readers interest!! Or even write a short review about the book saying what you found mosting interesting/exciting about the book. Hope this helps or gives you inspiration )

Smile

Thanks klj
    I've started altering listings, I'd figured out the staggering them bit, and will be taking all the other comments on board. Looks like I've got some major re-structuring to do
    As I said, I got lazy listing over on greedbay and brought my idle habits here!
    Oh well better get stuck in, there's a lot to do
    Mike
    ps That's Flashy all right! Been my hero since he first appeared.
    At least you admit it!! Some people are very hard to convince that being a bit sloppy and not polishing your listings is the cause of no sales. So many feel that if ebid just did more,,,,,,,,,

Goes back to basics: good searchable title, good searchable description which expands on info, limited auction time so you get into google searches, clear condition listed, good shipping rates, combined shipping clearly explained, and a longer, more detailed bio page. Surprising how many do all of the above wrong and whine that they can not sell on ebid ("something is wrong with ebid").

All-About gyronny
    View gyronny's Listings
    Forum Posts

#25 & #26
    Thanks for the comments, I'm taking everything on board and using the advice given within the context of my intended store.
    I might have a 3 for 2 sale if I can see a way of doing it, it would be difficult to organise, given the differential in my prices.
    Just registered with google checkout and am in the looooong process of updating everything, it's a steep learning curve here!
    Fingers crossed for some sales!
    Drop in and help boost my sales!
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Gyronny-Books

Forum Newbie
    All-About neilsrarebooks
    View neilsrarebooks's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default first listing no views

Am I doing something wrong? i dont get it...i have a book listed at 99p worth well over a hundred pounds and not one bid or view?
    can anyone offer some advice please?
    This is my first listing as am new to ebid, surely thought i would of at least had a few bids or views?

Forum Saint
    View Pink_Panther's Feedback (+177)
    All-About Pink_Panther
    View Pink_Panther's Listings
    Forum Posts

Don't I just know! I spend far too much on books, that's why I'm trying to sell some, I need funds to get a whole new load. I can't walk past a bookshop, something drags me in.
    It's called 'Bookshop Constipation' - I can't pass a bookshop either!

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by neilsrarebooks View Post
    Am I doing something wrong? i dont get it...i have a book listed at 99p worth well over a hundred pounds and not one bid or view?
    can anyone offer some advice please?
    This is my first listing as am new to ebid, surely thought i would of at least had a few bids or views?
    Well, it gave me the chance to see what happens when you make a bid on a listing with a reserve, so thanks for that. Sorry, it's no help to you at all!

The odds of your making a sale from a single listing here are very, very slim. It just doesn't get the traffic. Unless you have something that is going to be specifically searched for by collectors, frequently enough to coincide with your offering, rare enough to be unavailable on better known sites... and a myriad other conditions that apply.

Thread Information