eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Tiscali - anybody in? - giving up

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

I've just had a contact through my website from a poor Tiscali user who can't get into ebid and had no idea what was going on. How many more are there out there who are just giving up? ebid needs to grasp tiscali warmly by the throat and get this sorted.

I'm grateful to the contributors on this thread, and elsewhere, that meant I could offer my correspondant some help!

Quote from Tiscali Broadband "support" <cough> forums.

I have a friend who is also with Tiscali.

They have been toying with the idea of using ebid as both a buyer and a PROFESSIONAL seller.

They too cannot get access to ebid from Tiscali

I went round to their house yesterday to do the HOSTS fix for them, they do not dare do anything that involves 'messing around' with their PC, so I always get called in for that job.

I couldn't remember where the folder where the HOSTS file was and when it seemed to them that I was struggling.

After a while of me trying to find the HOSTS file they said

"oh don't bother, it looks as if it might be a bigger problem. We'll just stick with ebay"

EBAY 1 - EBID 0
    http://im1.ebidst.com/upload_banner/booksforsale_61768.jpg

Booksforsale For Vintage Homewares and New & Secondhand Books

Main Store - Click Here

Join ebid here

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by booksforsale View Post
    Quote from Tiscali Broadband "support" <cough> forums.
    I sent ebid a support message (but marked it no reply required) showing them the exchange I'd had this morning. Since they're not saying much, we have no way of knowing how seriously they're taking this problem, and whether or not they're simply dismissing it as "not our problem". I made the point that while we're all working our socks off trying to promote ebid, all that work could be undone by a few confused Tiscali users bad-mouthing ebid over this issue.

Until we get some serious information back from ebid, or some progress is made, I'd suggest that anybody with this sort of evidence that it's hurting ebid's reputation and customer base - and thus all of us - forward the information to support.

View havugot1's Feedback (+1790)
    All-About havugot1
    View havugot1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi,
    A reply on tiscali forums claim it is not just Tiscali with the problem;

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/forums/show...3&goto=newpost
    reads
    ----It's not just Tiscali with the problem.

I have experience the same thing with Eclipse, who tell me the problem lies with ebid who tell me there is no problem at their end.

I have also heard that the same problem exists for BT braodband users as well.

At least OpenDNS fixed the problem for me.----
    Andi

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

I'm a BT broadband user, and my system worked fine the very next day with no fiddling about.

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View lofty100e's Feedback (+74)
    All-About lofty100e
    View lofty100e's Listings
    Forum Posts

The link with the other site is true, they are not listed as partners, but there is a link in the shopping section which goes directly there and they do advertise heavilly on that site.

I agree though that their "help" is appalling from what I have heard, they should be able to fix a problem that seemingly every other ISP has solved long ago. No wonder they are a struggling business.
    To view my listings: click here: www.loftys-stores.com

To join eBid click this link: http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/253503

Forum Newbie
    View scarletdivauk's Feedback (+37)
    All-About scarletdivauk
    View scarletdivauk's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicina View Post
    From what I've read elswhere, Tiscali are removing posts on this matter from their forums, they do seem to be the last major UK ISP whose users are still not getting access.

Virgin seem to have finally updated, so I've been able to remove the forced redirect.
    Thank you thank you Gothicina!!!

I have been going crazy trying to access e.bid for over a month - I am also with Tiscali
    thanks to your oh so simple instructions I have managed to do what Tiscali can't and log onto e.bid.
    My registered card had run out so my listings were removed and I couldn't reply to a buyer...... boo! all bad news. Then I found your wonderful guide - which I urge everyone to try - get yourself back on the site and save your sanity!!
    A million thank you's! xx Scarlet xx

Quote Originally Posted by scarletdivauk View Post
    Thank you thank you Gothicina!!!

I have been going crazy trying to access e.bid for over a month - I am also with Tiscali
    thanks to your oh so simple instructions I have managed to do what Tiscali can't and log onto e.bid.
    My registered card had run out so my listings were removed and I couldn't reply to a buyer...... boo! all bad news. Then I found your wonderful guide - which I urge everyone to try - get yourself back on the site and save your sanity!!
    A million thank you's! xx Scarlet xx

This is really worrying - how many more are there out there????

If I had been a Tiscali customer when all this started, I would have switched to another ISP long ago. It sounds like people in the UK are much too tolerant!

I'm on my 7th ISP in 8 years. Started with Earthlink, they were fabulous for four years, then their service fell apart. Then during two years of hell I tried AOL, PeopleSoft, another no name I can't remember, NetScape (never even managed to get online with that one), MSN, then finally went with my cable company AT&T and have had no problems for over two years now. When eBid upgraded, my system didn't even blink.

I switched to Hotmail a long time ago so I don't have to change my email address. The only hassle is to back up any emails I want to keep onto a CD. It really doesn't take long.

When ANY company, online or land-based, messes me up, I leave.

View gazza's Feedback (+2)
    All-About gazza
    View gazza's Listings
    Forum Posts

Have all Tiscali users finally been updated now? Did they actually give a reason as to why they would not update their DNS servers.

Have they offered any compensation?

It is incomprehendable that an ISP of their size could not do the most simple and basic of their duties for the amount of time the problem occurred.

G
    Last edited by gazza; 30th July 2009 at 10:41 PM.
    eBid.net
    Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy
    GBP and USD Affiliate Program Re-Launched .. Promote eBid and earn
    Got a problem? Record it for us using http://screencast-o-matic.com/

Thread Information