eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Sponsored walk: For those folk who asked.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yorkiesauctions View Post
    It's just you lass, the rest of us have very innocent minds.
    Yeah, I've noticed that.

I've just found this photo of what I'll be climbing to the top of....hopefully. I'm not sure from which direction we approach it yet though because the NSPCC still haven't sent me my maps and stuff.

Rotherham, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View PATRIOT73's Feedback (+173)
    All-About PATRIOT73
    View PATRIOT73's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yorkiesauctions View Post
    lol, I have a game plan, lets just hope it works. lol

I plan on stopping just twice during the trek for 15 minute breaks and food. I know from experience that one of the toughest points in long treks is getting started again if you rest too long, and it's normally at those times when you suffer from cramp or the pain from the blisters get to you the most. So I'll be setting myself a steady pace but with few breaks. Hopefully that should ensure that I complete the walk in under 12 hours.

I'll be taking plenty of high energy food and drinks to consume as I walk, my daughter has even bought me some Kendal Mint Cake (the M.O.D issue it to the soldiers to help boost their energy levels) to help get me round. lol. I've got to make up a first aid kit yet, I'll need to take all the usual stuff for cuts and bruises, blisters, sprains, and soreness due to clothes or pack straps rubbing, and I'll need sun cream (just in case), and a supply of Migraleve, my asthma inhalers, and something for headaches. I also need a compass and to learn how to calibrate it and how to read a map. It's very easy to get lost on the Dales if the cloud comes down and you can only see a few feet infront of you.

So still a bit to do yet, bloody work keeps getting in the way and holding me up.
    u ll be needin 1 o these then
    "WALKING IS DEFINITELY OVERRATED"

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    Yeah, I've noticed that.

Why do I get the feeling you don't believe me?, lol

That was my thought when I saw it too.

Ever get the feeling you've been suckered?, I notice there was no photo of it before I registered for the walk. lol
    Yorkie

My FaceBook page.
    My Twitter page.
    My YouTube channel.

Mention eBid if you add me on FaceBook or Twitter so I know where you are from.

Quote Originally Posted by PATRIOT73 View Post
    u ll be needin 1 o these then
    I aint ready for a granny trolley yet lad.

Although I might end up looking like this when we set off...

Yorkie

My FaceBook page.
    My Twitter page.
    My YouTube channel.

Hmm, I wasn't a happy lad yesterday when my maps and other information finally arrived.

There were a few things which I feel the NSPCC have had on their site for folk to read before they paid their £15 to register for the walk. They're not major things but they are things which may put some folk off doing the challenge walk and I think should have been out in the open before hand.

For example...

I didn't know that they can stop you from doing the walk at the starting line if they think that you are unable to complete the course because of ill health or whatever.

I didn't know that you have to hit certain checkpoints by certain times or they will stop you from going on and pull you out of the walk.

I didn't know that they can pull you out of the walk at any time if they feel you are unable to complete it.

In the info pack it say's that you must do at least two months training before the walk as it is a difficult walk and you need to be pretty fit to finish it within the time limit. That's all well and good but there is only approx 5 weeks left to the walk so how are folk going to do two bloody months training?. lol

There are a few other minor things as well which I feel should have been made clear before folk registered. I know some of it is common sense stuff but a lot of non-walkers take part in these events and it would be very helpful to them to have things pointed out to them from the start.

Anyway, non of the above has put me off and obviously I'll still be doing it, although I might have to hold my breath everytime I pass a Marshall so they don't hear me wheezing because of my asthma and pull me out of the challenge. lol
    Yorkie

My FaceBook page.
    My Twitter page.
    My YouTube channel.

It will probably be the back of the pack that they will be looking at more closely.
    Ken

For low cost Prints and Affordable Originals just Click the Logo

http://tinyurl.com/39bkpc/images/affordablelogo.jpg
    and check out my other stores

Ken's Cave

Fantastic Fotos Store

Quote Originally Posted by kengillam View Post
    It will probably be the back of the pack that they will be looking at more closely.
    I hope so because I plan to be around mid of the pack for most of the way. I don't know how many are doing it but my number is 401, I'm not sure if that's any indication as to how many have registered so far or not?

I did a 10 mile walk this afternoon in the wind and rain and mud and was dead chuffed to complete it in 2 hours 40 mins and not be tired or out of breath at the end. Okay I admit it was an easy walk compared to the walk I'm doing in September but that's still a pretty good time for 10 miles in this weather and my fitness level must be pretty good for me not to be tired at the end. It's boosted my confidence a bit anyway.
    Yorkie

My FaceBook page.
    My Twitter page.
    My YouTube channel.

Never done a 10 mile walk, 10 mile runs back in the mid 1980's, used to be about 60-65 mins for those. I did a 25 mile walk back in the 1960's can't remember what the time was though. I know me feet ached like hell the next day, mind you I hadn't done any training
    Ken

For low cost Prints and Affordable Originals just Click the Logo

http://tinyurl.com/39bkpc/images/affordablelogo.jpg
    and check out my other stores

Ken's Cave

Fantastic Fotos Store

Thread Information