My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Acer query

Default Acer query

anyone know what the default settings are on an acer laptop that has windows vista home premium pre-built on it, keep getting low memory coming up and can't remember what the default programs are. So if anyone knows please let me know.
    Don't walk in front of me..I may not follow-don't walk behind me..I may not lead-just walk beside me and be my friend.
    Albert Camus

PERSONAL RECORD SET
    27hours 30minutes without sleep

Scarborough, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View heatemyfather's Feedback (+53)
    All-About heatemyfather
    View heatemyfather's Listings
    Forum Posts

What do you mean exactly by default programs? What have you changed?

For Vista you should have 2GB of RAM for good performance, RAM is cheap right now so I'd recommend buying some new, Crucial are a good place to buy from online.

http://www.crucial.com/
    http://www.crucial.com/uk/

Use their system checker to see how much you could fit and recommendations.
    Last edited by heatemyfather; 13th June 2009 at 08:07 AM.
    My auctions: video games, photography stuff, miniature wargaming hobby bits and pieces
    My eBid stores: Miniature Hobby Store | Old Games
    My eBid adverts page (also home to my free eBid promotional graphics):
    http://www.jonathanmortimer.co.uk/adverts/

Default as in, the original programs, its an acer 5315 with 1gb ddr2
    Don't walk in front of me..I may not follow-don't walk behind me..I may not lead-just walk beside me and be my friend.
    Albert Camus

PERSONAL RECORD SET
    27hours 30minutes without sleep

Forum Newbie
    All-About strav
    View strav's Listings
    Forum Posts

Check on the Acer website and download the latest drivers/software for your model. Alternatively, reinstall with vista 64 bit but first ensure you have 2gig of Ram.

Scarborough, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View heatemyfather's Feedback (+53)
    All-About heatemyfather
    View heatemyfather's Listings
    Forum Posts

Having been to the Acer website myself I cringe at advising people to go there, knowing how bloody awkward it can be to find the correct drivers and then download them (their ftp servers can be very flaky), but this is the best thing to do.

I'm assuming you have Vista Home Premium 32-bit. To check what you have, go to http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/0...r-x64-version/
    and follow the instructions shown for Vista. I've repeated one of the methods here:

1. Click Start, type system in the “Start Search” box, and then click System Information in the “Programs” list.
    2. The operating system appears as follows:
    * For a 64-bit version operating system: x64-based PC appears for the “System type” under “Item”.
    * For a 32-bit version operating system: x86-based PC appears for the “System type” under “Item”.

Download all of the drivers on the page at the link below and install them one by one, several reboots may be requested but you can probably defer them until you've installed all of the drivers, just be sure to remember to reboot after the last one is installed.

http://www.acer.co.uk/acer/service.d...CRC=2980211862

(if you have 64-bit Vista Home Premium, select this from the Operating System drop-down menu on the same page).

Anything that came with Windows should be on your Windows install CD, or Restore CD depending on what came with your computer (I would not buy a computer without one if it came with an operating system pre-installed). If you don't have a Windows install CD, well, you may be able to download some of the programs such as Internet Explorer from the Microsoft website but there won't be a whole operating system for you to download.

If you want to re-install Windows from scratch you will definitely need a Windows install CD. There is sometimes an installer package installed on the hard drive of some systems, It's usually mentioned in your manual how to generate install CDs from such packages (you will need one or more blank CDs or DVDs), there may be a program for doing this in Windows (which assumes you can get into Windows though).
    Last edited by heatemyfather; 23rd June 2009 at 06:04 PM.
    My auctions: video games, photography stuff, miniature wargaming hobby bits and pieces
    My eBid stores: Miniature Hobby Store | Old Games
    My eBid adverts page (also home to my free eBid promotional graphics):
    http://www.jonathanmortimer.co.uk/adverts/

Forum Newbie
    View systemservices's Feedback (+6)
    All-About systemservices
    View systemservices's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default acer defult

all acers have factory restore partition
    once u have restored it you could use msconfig to disable programs from the startup menu to increase performnce or use the advanced system properties to change the ay your computer displays things. ie for pest performance not best appearance

Morning we can help you with this part or problem please email us directly with exact problem your experinecing or parts you require and we can list on the site with a buy now for you or help with the repair

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by systemservices View Post
    all acers have factory restore partition
    once u have restored it you could use msconfig to disable programs from the startup menu to increase performnce or use the advanced system properties to change the ay your computer displays things. ie for pest performance not best appearance

Morning we can help you with this part or problem please email us directly with exact problem your experinecing or parts you require and we can list on the site with a buy now for you or help with the repair
    Before you waste too much of your time, can I suggest you get into the habit of checking the posting date on messages before replying?

Thread Information