Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7

Scarborough, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View heatemyfather's Feedback (+53)
    All-About heatemyfather
    View heatemyfather's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SalusLibrorum View Post
    I was hoping that Windows 7 was going to be an improvement on previous incarnations - and the computer press seemed to be optimistic that it was.
    Reading a bit more on it, I think all that Windows 7 is, really, is what Vista should have been in the first place - i.e. leaner in it's core than Vista turned out to be (which was a real botch-job if internet reports are to be believed). I watched system resources while I ran Windows 7 and noticed that it has similar requirements to Windows XP - BUT it does require greater graphics capability (hardware) than an XP machine for doing even simple things like playing the included chess game in 2D mode (which is painfully slow)

What problems did you have Astral that made Linux not worth the effort?
    If I may offer my reasons for not getting along with linux - I found that it didn't offer me anything that I didn't already have in Mac OS X, and there were problems with basic hardware drivers (which was supposed to be an automatic part of the install, but just didn't work), when I asked for help with this and a few other things which didn't work as promised I was always treated in a condescending manner, as if I had no business being there because I wasn't already an expert. This has sadly been a common experience for me with linux forums, which leads me to believe that the core linux community have a big chip on their shoulder when it comes to newbies asking for help with the simple things (like getting it to work!) The worst part is that they didn't even have an answer for my queries. Could it be that they didn't know what was wrong? Or maybe because I was installing on Mac hardware and they were PC zealots.

I've come to the conclusion that my Access database problem is going to have to be solved by running XP inside VirtualBox, that way I have Windows, but I'm not using it as a main OS).
    This is probably the best solution. Windows XP can be made to run quite fast if you turn off many of the visual effects, you can probably run Access quite happily in Windows 2000 for even faster performance.
    My auctions: video games, photography stuff, miniature wargaming hobby bits and pieces
    My eBid stores: Miniature Hobby Store | Old Games
    My eBid adverts page (also home to my free eBid promotional graphics):
    http://www.jonathanmortimer.co.uk/adverts/

Cool Test windows 7

Iv tested windows 7 and is very good , very good on the eye

it seems to run fast ,but its still in testing

I'm wondering whether to put a Windows 7 VM into Virtualbox as well, since the one I'm using with XP is excellent.

XP is a completely different beast when it's only running one programme, my VM is faster than the machine I have at work, and Access is running better in it than I've managed anywhere else. It's been a revelation.

Forum Newbie
    View wangqi64's Feedback (+7)
    All-About wangqi64
    View wangqi64's Listings
    Forum Posts

I am new to ebid relocating from ebay. I happen to have the chance to try all Microsft OS since Dos 3.1, Winodws 3.1, NT4, 95,98,Me, Windows 2000, XP, Windows 2003, Vista, Windows 2008 and the 7. What I can say is Windows 7 is so far the best. Not just better overlay animated graphics, but much better functions. Amogn all the overhauls and new feature, what I like the most is the Media Center. It now switch HDTV channels within 1 second, rendering pictutre without any artifacts, able to use print screen to capture live screen shot into new enhance Paint. Refer my Windows 7 auction lisitngs. The second best thing is the home group library, it makes sharing document, print, photos, mp3 seamlessly among family members.
    It is also cheap, $129 you can get home premium family pack for all your family members.

we had to have our computer seen to today and while the guy was here we got talking about windows 7.... he thinks it's great.... in fact he has taken our laptop with him to up grade...the only reason he wont do our desktop ones is the fact that we would have to re instal all our software

Forum Newbie
    All-About wangqi64
    View wangqi64's Listings
    Forum Posts

it depends on what kind of existing OS you have.
    Upgrade Path is:
    Windows Vista Ultimate -> Windows 7 Ultimate
    Windows Vista Business -> Windows 7 Enterprise
    Windows Vista Professional -> Windows 7 Professional
    Windows Vista Home Premium ->Windows 7 Home Premium
    For all other OS, you have to do fresh reinstall.
    But for XP, Windows 7 does allow you to carry over your data such as email account, contacts, calendar, Favorites.

If you buy or upgrade by buying software in retail box, it is pricey.
    But if you buy from ebid or ebay, it is dawn cheap, look at my auction list. You can upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate to your whole family at a fraction price of one Windows 7 Ultimate Retail Box.

In the end, Windows 7 is definitely to rule family desktops and laptops.
    In fact it is revolution instead of evolution from XP and Vista IMHO.

All-About heatemyfather
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wangqi64 View Post
    In the end, Windows 7 is definitely to rule family desktops and laptops.
    In fact it is revolution instead of evolution from XP and Vista IMHO.
    IMO Windows only has it's market share by default nowadays, a market share that is diminishing daily. If PCs did not ship with it then it's uptake rate would surely plummet overnight.

I wish there was a serious commercial competitor to Windows, think of how much better Windows would be if it had to actually work for it's customers!
    My auctions: video games, photography stuff, miniature wargaming hobby bits and pieces

Forum Newbie
    All-About wangqi64
    View wangqi64's Listings
    Forum Posts

If you search on ebay for Windows 7 Ultimate, you will see how hot it is right now. 500 listings daily and are selling pretty faster.
    Recently I listed twice, first time sold 9 Windows 7 Ultimate Full Family Pack Edition within 32 hours, second time, sold 7 within 6 hours. Both times sold at $169.99. It is not selling, it is flying off the shelf.

All-About heatemyfather
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wangqi64 View Post
    If you search on ebay for Windows 7 Ultimate, you will see how hot it is right now. 500 listings daily and are selling pretty faster.
    Recently I listed twice, first time sold 9 Windows 7 Ultimate Full Family Pack Edition within 32 hours, second time, sold 7 within 6 hours. Both times sold at $169.99. It is not selling, it is flying off the shelf.
    That's the market share speaking, and all of the desperate people who were ripped off with Vista. Many people don't know any better, they think that Windows IS computing, and that's sad. They are just looking for the cheapest way to feed their addiction.

Forum Newbie
    All-About wangqi64
    View wangqi64's Listings
    Forum Posts

Market share does come for a reason. Today Microsoft annouces 50 million Retail Box copies of Windows 7 Sold within 1 month all over the world. It is not only best Windows among all Windows but also best OS among all PC OS (Linux, Mac OS).

Thread Information