Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Hello ! Have you ever been told Your Prices Are Too Good To Be True ? WOW !

Forum Newbie
    All-About 7nflgirl
    View 7nflgirl's Listings
    Forum Posts

Cool Hello ! Have you ever been told Your Prices Are Too Good To Be True ? WOW !

Have you ever gotten a question from a buyer telling you:
    I would buy some of your pieces, however I am torn because
    [ now get this ] "your prices are almost too good to be true" ?
    Are they "real" jade pieces ? WOW ! [odd]
    My fellow sellers, Is it possible to "under price" yourself right out of sales ?
    Oh, by the way. I told them I purchase these pieces "directly from an
    overseas manufacture" and yes, my profits where minimal, however "the
    pieces themselves are "real jade" !
    Does anybody out here find this a bit odd?
    Thanks !

I do, and yes...I've had the exact same question. I'll give you an example: I'll buy a Blu-ray from my distributor for a said price, then sell it for $18.99 or $20.25, and yes they are all Brand New and 100% originals...and I've been asked if I was for real. I laughed and replied if you buy 4, the 4th. ships for free and by Xpress to boot. Go figure.

View cmjewels925's Feedback (+7924)
    All-About cmjewels925
    View cmjewels925's Listings
    Forum Posts

I think the problem has more to do with misunderstanding (and mistranslation) of the word 'jade' than the price of your pieces, which seem about right for what they are as the stones are not 'true' jade.

The precious gemstone jade comes in two varieties - jadeite (hard jade or ying yu) and nephrite (soft jade or ruan yu) - and, when used in jewellery, it is amost exclusively set in solid gold. It would certainly never be set in Tibetan silver which has a silver content of 0-2%.

Unfortunately, the Mandarin word 'yu' is generally translated as 'jade' although it is used to describe a wide range of semi-precious stones. The stones that are in your jewellery are most likely soapstone (or some other variety of steatite) or serpentine, though they could be any one of around 30 stones that are sold as 'yu'.

CMEJewellery For all your jewellery needs.

Beads 'n' Bobs For beads.

Charms 'n' Findings For charms and jewellery making supplies.

Prices are such a variable, you are bound to get questions about price and if the item is "real". And you will find some questions are just silly.

If they are asking questions, it might be a good idea to add some more info to your listing. i.e. where you buy pieces, or even info on identifying jade. Getting one question is just tip of iceberg; many others will not bother emailing you at all, they just will not bid!

You will also get more sales if you insert more info into listing. i.e. bride looking for 12 bridesmaids gift, identical, will pull up one of your listings, see you buy new, buy in quantity, have reasonable prices, etc, and bingo, you made a big sale!

Forum Lurker
    View constanta2010's Feedback (+18)
    All-About constanta2010
    View constanta2010's Listings
    Forum Posts

I've never heard this from selling online, but when I do carboot sales I often get told this, and even lose sales after I offer to charge them more!

Thread Information