Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: How detailed should my coin descriptions be?

Default How detailed should my coin descriptions be?

I've been putting a great deal of detail in my coin descriptions, trying to note every defect no matter how tiny. I do this to avoid returns and bad feedback. We accept returns of coins for any reason as long as the flip wasn't opened, and I don't want the buyers to be unpleasantly surprised. This is especially true when I can't get a clear picture of the defect.

Yesterday I started looking at the listings from some coin sellers who have huge feedback numbers, since they're obviously doing something right. Most of them have almost no description at all, just the coin identification and general condition.

What do most of you do? Mention all defects, only the ones that don't show in the pictures, or just ignore them? Do you accept returns? If you do, how often does a coin get returned? Do you get negative feedback along with the return? We've never had a return, but if it only happens once in a while it would be OK.

View FBNeNotes's Feedback (+1108)
    All-About FBNeNotes
    View FBNeNotes's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hmmmmm.. many many(35%) buyers have no clue as to grades.. which is just awful on their part, they may say or think they do, but nope is the winner.
    Just list an accurate as possible Grade for the item, any Serious defect should also be mentioned.
    And.... many sellers(25%) also have no clue to real grading... and they do not care to know. What goes on in Coins on public-online auction sites is scary.
    This is an seemingly endless.. but very long story/discussion. And it hurts trying to teach and discuss with non-knowers and the usual-typical know-it-alls.
    Don't-cha just love the Listings that say... I do not Grade, see scans and you decide. I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by FBNeNotes View Post
    Don't-cha just love the Listings that say... I do not Grade, see scans and you decide. I think not.
    Some of those sellers appear to have sold a lot of coins.

I'm not a dealer, just selling duplicates and inherited coins, so I'll never be an expert. I estimate the grade when setting the price, but I don't include it in the listings, only a general statement (worn circulated, almost uncirculated, above average circulated, etc.) and so far my buyers have been satisfied.

I wonder if mentioning minor defects sounds negative and turns the buyers off.

Forum Master
    View poppa501's Feedback (+642)
    All-About poppa501
    View poppa501's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TiasTreasures View Post
    Some of those sellers appear to have sold a lot of coins.

I'm not a dealer, just selling duplicates and inherited coins, so I'll never be an expert. I estimate the grade when setting the price, but I don't include it in the listings, only a general statement (worn circulated, almost uncirculated, above average circulated, etc.) and so far my buyers have been satisfied.

I wonder if mentioning minor defects sounds negative and turns the buyers off.
    I have been collecting coins for almost 50 years and I feel my grading skills are as good as any. However, grading is still very subjective. If you are not confident then I feel your general statements are fine.
    I really think the key to all this is clear and large photographs. I will not buy a coin if the picture is dull, grainy, or tiny. Clear large photos let me judge the coin on its own merits regardless of the seller's description. I would however point out obvious defects, but don't sweat the small stuff. The pictures will speak for themselves.
    Just my opinion.
    Love to all
    Poppa

...Yesterday I started looking at the listings from some coin sellers who have huge feedback numbers, since they're obviously doing something right. Most of them have almost no description at all, just the coin identification and general condition.
    Not to sound cynical or flippant, but I think you answered your own question (above). Saying less means you have a lower chance of saying things that will discourage buyers from wanting to pay more than a small percent of what the coin is worth. But, conversely, saying too little also discourages buyers. I belong to the latter group. I don't want to be shown a picture and told to grade for myself. I want to see a grade and extra comments pertaining to defects (scratches, rim knocks, cleaned coins, etc). Pictures can lie. Depending on the level of exposure, brightness, contrast, saturation, etc, defects can be obscured. So it's not sufficient to rely on a picture and expect the buyer will know exactly what they are getting. Having a return policy is very good. If a buyer negs you after returning the coin and getting a refund, ban them. Who needs discourteous difficult fastidious people like that bidding on your stuff. Anyhow, best policy is to be honest, but a good rule of thumb is to not be so honest that you might magnify a flaw with poorly-worded comments. It sounds dishonest, but downplaying a flaw could be reassuring to a potential buyer.

Anyhow, if you're just looking to unload some coins and price is not a great concern, it may not be worth the extra thought to make a detailed listing. Buyers have a good sense of whether they are dealing with someone unfamiliar with coins or a real pro.
    ================

The biggest truths are always left unsaid.

The biggest lies are repeated endlessly.

Forum Lurker
    View sweetwheatz's Feedback (+38)
    All-About sweetwheatz
    View sweetwheatz's Listings
    Forum Posts

I put up a nice photo and explain what I feel the grade should be (on all auctions) along with major defects. I also state in the auction exame the coin carefully before bidding".
    I also use a good photo
    Last edited by sweetwheatz; 9th December 2009 at 09:15 PM.

and clearly state something along the lines of " if you are not happy with the item please return" I do that with postcards, and have never had one back yet....

I always class them as good... never anything better, as one mans good is another mans mint

I've been putting a great deal of detail in my coin descriptions, trying to note every defect no matter how tiny. I do this to avoid returns and bad feedback. We accept returns of coins for any reason as long as the flip wasn't opened, and I don't want the buyers to be unpleasantly surprised. This is especially true when I can't get a clear picture of the defect.

Yesterday I started looking at the listings from some coin sellers who have huge feedback numbers, since they're obviously doing something right. Most of them have almost no description at all, just the coin identification and general condition.

What do most of you do? Mention all defects, only the ones that don't show in the pictures, or just ignore them? Do you accept returns? If you do, how often does a coin get returned? Do you get negative feedback along with the return? We've never had a return, but if it only happens once in a while it would be OK.

If I see high feedback and poor quality listings I think two words, "imported feedback". Don't compare yourself to them. This "trend" comes directly from feebay. High traffic meant no effort had to be made. People got lazy. Over here lazy = no sales. It does on all alternative sites.

I don't know coins but I like your descriptions. Neat, clear, informative, return policy, details on coins and on discounts. Look very good to me and photos were nice too.

I agree with your return policy. Buyers like return policies. I had maybe 2 or 3 returns in 6 years of selling. Color wrong for use, I measured wrong, buyer thought condition wrong. Never issued a negative but did get some (on feebay).

To sell successfully standing out is important. Your descriptions make you and your items stand out. Don't put much stock in what other people do.

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

The best advice I ever received was:

Write a detailed description as if there aren't any pictures and show as many pictures as possible as if there is no description.

x

Forum Lurker
    View sovereignman's Feedback (+16)
    All-About sovereignman
    View sovereignman's Listings
    Forum Posts

big pictures a picture is worth a 1000 words as they say.

Thread Information