I have recently been looking for a dead kitten, or wind suppressor, for my Sony microphone but found nothing, in fact the only dead kitten available seems to be for Rode microphones and I didn't want to spend £20 for something that might not fit correctly, so decided to make my own.

Someone on AVForums pointed me towards a seller on fleeBay who had faux fur samples (yes, I did check on eBid before buying but there was nothing similar), so I bought some of these samples and proceeded to make my own dead kitten by cutting and sewing to get just the right size and shape, and it worked an absolute treat!

Now there's virtually no wind noise, but other sounds are clear as a bell. It's amazing how sometimes the simplest technology (heavily inspired by nature) is the best!

Anyway, the upshot of this experience is that I now know how to make dead kittens and have plenty of sample faux fur left over, I could probably make more if anyone is interested but a size guide would be needed as I'm not sophisticated enough to include any sort of elasticated fit, though there's nothing stopping someone placing an elastic band around the thing to keep it on.

I'm sure all one would require to get the same sort of wind noise protection on a normal built-in camcorder microphone would be to simply attach some of this faux fur over the microphone grill, this will probably be my next experiment.

Just thought I'd share this with you all.