Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Change the feedback system!

Angry Change the feedback system!

Wouldn't it be fairer on buyers if the feedback system was changed so that sellers cannot leave retal feedback when a negative or neutral is given.

As far as I see it as a seller, the sellers should leave feedback once payment is received and the item is sent. Personally it is what I do, it seems more professional, then if the buyer thinks he has had a raw deal they are free to leave whatever feedback they choose without fear of receiving retal feedback.

If either a buyer or a seller leaves unfair feedback, an e-mail to eBid customer services will prompt an investigation. One of the strengths of the eBid site is that customer services is manned by a management team that does customer service and does deal with issues. They will deal with any problems of unwarranted feedback retaliation or blackmail. Also, occasionally a problem buyer will attempt some kind of scam against a seller and the seller should leave negative feedback in these situations. The scam might be attempted after payment has been made and the item despatched and received. So I do not think that there is a need to change the current feedback arrangements.

Of course a seller should leave a negative if it is truely warranted. Any case of a non paying bidder etc will be clear in the AAL. That is not what I'm trying to change. A seller shouldn't be allowed to leave unwarranted feedback in the first place, let alone having the hassle of undoing the mess they make when they leave unwarranted negatives!

What about looking at this the other way round?.......as a seller i daren't leave negative feedback for NPB's incase they leave me retalitary feedback. It works both ways.
    Lynsey

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by earthengirl View Post
    Of course a seller should leave a negative if it is truely warranted. Any case of a non paying bidder etc will be clear in the AAL. That is not what I'm trying to change. A seller shouldn't be allowed to leave unwarranted feedback in the first place, let alone having the hassle of undoing the mess they make when they leave unwarranted negatives!
    How do you propose preventing "unwarranted feedback"? I can think of no way of automatically assessing that feedback being left is not deserved. In the vast majority of cases I'm sure it's carefully considered and entirely fair. If you think just preventing feedback from being changed would somehow fix the problem - and there's no doubt some people will always abuse any system - then I believe you're mistaken. Being able to change the feedback easily is one of the great *strengths* of the ebid feedback system, since it allows both buyers and sellers to react to a changing situation. If a buyer pays, gets positive feedback, then payment bounces and they refuse to correct it, you can alter their feedback to show this. Equally if a bad situation prompts somebody to leave negative feedback, but this then galvanises the parties to get a grip and sort things out, the feedback can be improved to show that a happy ending was reached.

Flexible feedback benefits all parties.

On the few occasions when the system is abused, a complaint to support will often rectify the situation. No system is perfect, and no support team can get it right 100% of the time, but ebid's set-up in this area is the best I've seen.

View mrsandman's Feedback (+518)
    All-About mrsandman
    View mrsandman's Listings
    Forum Posts

As an added thought on this. We can edit what we have said. If feed-back has been left when your feeling ' hacked' off with your seller/buyer .. We at least have the Option to correct ?

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    How do you propose preventing "unwarranted feedback"? I can think of no way of automatically assessing that feedback being left is not deserved. In the vast majority of cases I'm sure it's carefully considered and entirely fair. If you think just preventing feedback from being changed would somehow fix the problem - and there's no doubt some people will always abuse any system - then I believe you're mistaken. Being able to change the feedback easily is one of the great *strengths* of the ebid feedback system, since it allows both buyers and sellers to react to a changing situation. If a buyer pays, gets positive feedback, then payment bounces and they refuse to correct it, you can alter their feedback to show this. Equally if a bad situation prompts somebody to leave negative feedback, but this then galvanises the parties to get a grip and sort things out, the feedback can be improved to show that a happy ending was reached.

Flexible feedback benefits all parties.

On the few occasions when the system is abused, a complaint to support will often rectify the situation. No system is perfect, and no support team can get it right 100% of the time, but ebid's set-up in this area is the best I've seen.
    I agree, being able to change the feedback is an excellent feature.

Some sellers wait to leave feedback until the buyer has expressed themselves happy with the transaction, and left their own feedback. This helps focus the mind of the occasional buyer from hell, who has paid but then causes chaos in the transaction by claiming untruths about condition, description etc. from leaving malicious or knee jerk negs. It's a perfectly valid position to take, I prefer to leave feedback until the transaction is totally finished and I know that the buyer is happy. Any problems I may have to sort out are part of the transaction, and of course, how the buyer reacts is part of it too - I don't think a buyer's part is finished once they've paid, they also have to receive the goods, examine them, and be satisfied.

I used to leave feedback over here when the buyer paid, as it can be changed and adapted to circumstances, but I don't any more. Only the people who can be bothered to leave me feedback get it now, (or other sellers), the rest clearly don't care about their feedback, so I don't either.

I agree that being able to update feedback is a big plus on ebid - situations do change and it's fair on everyone if this can be reflected in the comments left, be it a problem resolved happily or poor after sales service.
    Sadly, as others have said, there will always be some people who will try to take advantage of any system......got to be a whole lot better than evilbays current feedback system, now that just begs unscrupulous buyers to take advantage!

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SalusLibrorum View Post
    I agree, being able to change the feedback is an excellent feature.

Some sellers wait to leave feedback until the buyer has expressed themselves happy with the transaction, and left their own feedback. This helps focus the mind of the occasional buyer from hell, who has paid but then causes chaos in the transaction by claiming untruths about condition, description etc. from leaving malicious or knee jerk negs. It's a perfectly valid position to take, I prefer to leave feedback until the transaction is totally finished and I know that the buyer is happy. Any problems I may have to sort out are part of the transaction, and of course, how the buyer reacts is part of it too - I don't think a buyer's part is finished once they've paid, they also have to receive the goods, examine them, and be satisfied.

I used to leave feedback over here when the buyer paid, as it can be changed and adapted to circumstances, but I don't any more. Only the people who can be bothered to leave me feedback get it now, (or other sellers), the rest clearly don't care about their feedback, so I don't either.

I understand that point of view, and can sympathise with it to some extent, but I don't actually share it. I take the view that leaving feedback for my customer is part of my customer service, so I do so promptly after payment and as enthusiastically as the facts allow. I know that here I have the choice of changing it later if necessary, but so far I've never needed to. But it's nice to have the option.

Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
    View stitchysyl's Feedback (+2137)
    All-About stitchysyl
    View stitchysyl's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SalusLibrorum View Post
    . Only the people who can be bothered to leave me feedback get it now, (or other sellers), the rest clearly don't care about their feedback, so I don't either.
    If everyone did that then no-one would leave feedback.

The other party might have the same idea and be waiting for you to leave feedback.

I personally leave feedback and don't worry if I don't get it in return. Its optional as far as I'm concerned and entirely up to the seller / buyer if they want to leave it.

Thread Information