Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Please help me identify vase

vase was a wedding gift in 1923

Martha, it is a very unusual vase and I think you should take it to a good museum or auctioneer to get it checked. Most but not all early 20th century American wares carried a mark and the date is within a period of transition in terms of art forms. None of my reference books have anything quite like it.

If you cannot get to an expert yourself then try emailing one of the bigger museums. I can see that some of the applied decoration has been knocked but don't be tempted to get it restored until you have more information.

It could be that the vase is not particularly valuable but you are very lucky to have inherited such an attractive piece. Do let us know how you get on.

If you have a university near you, you might want to check with their Arts Dept. to see if they can help or can 'steer' you to some local experts.

Forum Newbie
    All-About martha916
    View martha916's Listings
    Forum Posts

Red face

you guys are so awesome for helping me thank you all so very much for all the information.

View youmeus's Feedback (+203)
    All-About youmeus
    View youmeus's Listings
    Forum Posts

Martha, if you haven't found the answer yet you might try googling Moriage Pottery. I was looking in a magazine and saw a vase with the raised decorations and that is what it was called. It stated it was 19th century Japan.

Linda, Just looked at your Amber Tiara listings. Just thought I'd let you know you have Tiara spelled wrong in the titles. Hope this helps.

ginny

View youmeus's Feedback (+203)
    All-About youmeus
    View youmeus's Listings
    Forum Posts

I have them all edited now, thanks again. Now that you have looked do you have any other ideas, does the price seem about right. I found a website where they are sold and my prices are lower than theirs but am wondering about lowering them when the relists are up.

They are heavy and I'm sure the shipping scares some off, eventhough I only charge the actual cost of shipping.

Linda, You can use the Replacements.com site for reference of prices, but sometimes I think their prices are high. I would price them at a figure you are comfortable letting them go for. The lower the price the better chance of selling them. Good luck. Ginny

Hi Martha,
    Wow! what a spectacular vase. I am pretty sure that this is a piece of Amphora pottery from Czechoslovakia. Please look up on google Amphora Czechoslovakia. What a nice sized vase.
    Lenda
    fancy4glass.ca

Hello. If you still haven't found info on your vase you might try whatsitworthtoyou.com. They are an online appraisal service. Your vase does look similar to Amphora art pottery but Amphora would have a makers mark...though there was a pottery school in the area at the same time that taught the Amphora style.
    And regarding replacements.com....much of their inventory is purchased from individuals via mail so their prices reflect this and are pretty high.

Thread Information