eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unfair & Uninformed BBC plug for e*a* ??!!

Thumbs down Unfair & Uninformed BBC plug for e*a* ??!!

Did anyone hear the Friday Chris Evans Show on BBC Radio 2 at about 5.30 p.m.?

Basically it was about the effect of the pound's loss of value being good for selling abroad & therefore a small boost to UK traders..

They went went on to interview some smug twerp from e*a* about how people there were selling more to buyers outside the UK. They went on to discuss how sellers can have their items viewed abroad and the best sorts of items to sell..

Thought the Beeb wasn't allowed to advertise

I was livid

If the point of the exercise was to give some optimism to British traders what was the point of pointing them a a U.S. owned monopoly (almost) that will pocket all the profit and leave the poor UK traders with their decreasingly valued pennies.

A little bit of research by the producers would have revealed that eBid actually exists, is UK based and keeps the money in the UK economy...

They suspended Jonathon Ross for less

Start complaining now

chris.evans@bbc.co.uk

http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/complaints_stage1.shtml

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/complain/progs/

Tony

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

You can also write to feedback, the R4 programme that takes listener/viewer reaction to BBC progs.

Quote Originally Posted by bestassets View Post

Basically it was about the effect of the pound's loss of value being good for selling abroad & therefore a small boost to UK traders..

They went went on to interview some smug twerp from e*a* about how people there were selling more to buyers outside the UK. They went on to discuss how sellers can have their items viewed abroad and the best sorts of items to sell..

I was livid

If the point of the exercise was to give some optimism to British traders what was the point of pointing them a a U.S. owned monopoly (almost) that will pocket all the profit and leave the poor UK traders with their decreasingly valued pennies.

A little bit of research by the producers would have revealed that eBid actually exists, is UK based and keeps the money in the UK economy...

Start complaining now

chris.evans@bbc.co.uk

Tony
    Do you have a link to the actual program? It might help us listen to it so we can be fully informed about what was / was not said

View mrsandman's Feedback (+518)
    All-About mrsandman
    View mrsandman's Listings
    Forum Posts

On the otherside , in the Forums , they were saying he actiually mentioned that site and advised that Deisel Jeans were a good seller for abroad ? sort of premoting that site . I have no Idea what program , but they seemed to know all about it

View BLOXBOOKS's Feedback (+5010)
    All-About BLOXBOOKS
    View BLOXBOOKS's Listings
    Forum Posts

The BBC plug (almost always in a positive way)e*a*, what seems like every day, although I do not have chance to hear all they broadcast what I have noticed is some sort of editorial leaning towards positive plugs- They will claim contemporary culture, but that can not explain the consistant positive plugs they give to e*a*. A few months back Sky+ was the flavour for pluggin.
    The BBC roll out positive e*a* stories regular- Woolworths Pick n Mix, Zimbabwe currency for sale, Ronaldo's knackered car, Einsteins brain, man selling his life, Carol Thatcher re Maggie T shirts for sale on e*a*, Life on Mars car, town in Texas for sale, plus loads more "I bet you will find those on e*a*" plugs.
    Like all institutions that have the law behind them, the right to take our money, the right to prosecute us and fine us even if we do not use their service but own TV receiving equipment to watch or record television programmes (This includes the use of a TV set, digital box, DVD or video recorder, computer or mobile phone.).
    The BBC, they are not always fair, they are not always objective, they not always balanced, they they do not bring us all the news just a version of news and collection of stories they think we are able to cope with, they do what they do supported with "The Public good" tag and make decisions for us because they think they know best, they may be the best we have but like many things in life its how you call them that can have more impact, so the BBC use "contemporary culture" to cover their backs when giving plugs for global companies, errrrr for some stupid reason "Clean and Sweep"- "Search and destroy" just came to mind, maybe my subconcious is trying to tell me.......mmmmm is there another term that means "contemporary culture" !!!!...? BROKEN BBC?, BIASED BBC?.....BBBBC..... I can think of another B or two to add but Best Buy Bargain Bandages Before Broken Biased BBC Balding Baristers Bash Brutalise Beat Bloxbooks Before Broken Bones Bloody Bandage Bondage. Just kidding who needs force when you you got a Global broadcasting corporation behind you....
    Yes I agree with OP the BBC can cause that "livid" feeling
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/BLOXBOOKS

Quote Originally Posted by bestassets View Post

I was livid

Start complaining now

chris.evans@bbc.co.uk

Tony
    I heard it too - stopped me dead in me tracks - nearly burnt the fish and chips whilst I listened
    I was also livid - blatant Feepay advertising in a low-lived, under-handed manner.
    As a dedicated eBidder, (and regular R2 listener) I shall definately complain - especially to Chris Evans, who I think is a nice enough bloke, who wants to please everyone and keep his comments and broadcasts as fair and unbiased to all listeners as he can.
    I think if we all bombard his email site with a complaint, maybe he will offer some kind of apology live on air???
    ... or am I just being too optimistic? Maybe.

(BTW - as for Jonathon Ross, can't stand the man - as soon as I hear his voice or see his smug face, I switch channels - I'm no prude, but he is just a thorn in my flesh! Makes me fester .... sorry for having my say about him (NOT...)
    Visit my clothes store -here
    Look in my treasure in trove ! here
    For
    soy wax candles, tarts & melts click here
    For trading cards click here
    Visit my Tazo barhere

Thanks for the thread bestassets. I've just sent off an email
    I'll let you know if I get a reply!

Chester - Le - Street, Durham, United Kingdom
    View Armstrongs's Feedback (+1436)
    All-About Armstrongs
    View Armstrongs's Listings
    Forum Posts

I've sent an email too

chris.evans@bbc.co.uk

Hi,
    Can I ask, why on earth was there a blatant promotion for ebay on Friday nights R2 show?
    There is another BRITISH auction site, eBid.net, with millions of items for sale, and international sales opportunities!
    Charity (free advertising) begins at home so they say. So please, can we give a little thought......and try and promote our own next time.
    I don’t see the USA (ebay) paying towards our licence fees???

Putting soap box away now!
    Yvonne x

Well, that was a waste of time & effort this is the reply!

Hi there,

Thanks so much for contacting Drivetime.

We really do love getting and reading your mail, but we get so much it's becoming almost impossible to reply to each of you individually.

Hopefully we can provide the answer to your query on our website links below. If not, please email the show again marking your email: 'More Help Needed'
    Last edited by Vonz; 9th March 2009 at 12:55 AM. Reason: reply

Look here for Crafty Bits

Find the Beamish Bazaar here!

I'M A YDC SUPPORTER!
    Find eBid's monthly charity auctions HERE on the 24th!

LOL - Well done Vonz. This was mine.

Dear Chris,

I enjoy your entertaining show but I was amazed in this time of
    recession that you were plugging the American based company
    Eb*y on your show on Friday! Surely it is the British based and
    fastest growing English auction site eBid.net that you should be
    mentioning. eBid.net Ltd is based at Weybridge in Surrey and
    they don't charge you anything to advertise your items overseas
    unlike greedbay!

eBid has really grown over the last year with well over half a
    million members and over two million listings. Lot's of
    small sellers have moved across to eBid from Eb*y because of
    the high Eb*y fees and policy changes that have been geared
    towards the large sellers rather than the smaller individual.

I hope you will consider readdressing the balance of things by
    giving some support to the English based company eBid as they
    are making great strides in bucking the currant economic trends.

I have attached a link to eBid and an Auctionbytes article below.
    I don't have any connection to the company other than selling and
    buying on the site. I just felt we should all be behind English
    companies in these difficult economic times.

Kind regards
    Becky

Link to eBid.net
    http://uk.ten.ebid.net/perl/normal.c...=register-main

Auctionbytes-NewsFlash, Number 1963 - January 26, 2009 - ISSN 1539-5065 Previous Story |
    Auction Site eBid Ratchets up Marketing, Launches API
    By Ina Steiner
    AuctionBytes.com
    January 26, 2009
    International auction site eBid.net said in order to support its 2009 growth ambitions, it will reinvest its 2008 profits into US marketing initiatives that include key strategic partnerships and national advertising. It will also invest in technical and design improvements, include a new listing tool and other features.
    eBid's "Ninja Lister" desktop software application enables offline auction creation and helps import auction listings from other sites. Other eBid initiatives include a public API to support third-party applications and widgets; sales tax calculations for US and Canada; the creation of a "Who's Online System" for its online community; and the introduction of non-English versions of the site.
    eBid.net said it has experienced 7 - 15% consecutive monthly growth with listings doubling to 2.4 million across 9,000 categories since its US launch in September last year.
    eBid co-founder Mark Wilkinson said, "In this tough economy, we want to ensure that sellers make great profits on our site and buyers, who are increasingly looking for second hand or discount items, get the best deals around. To help our community during these tough times, part of our investment will include regular and ongoing cash back promotions for both buyers and sellers as thanks for helping us take a large chunk of the online auction market."

Thread Information