eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Description

Forum Saint
    View papagran40's Feedback (+261)
    All-About papagran40
    View papagran40's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Description

Hello Mark or Gaza , I wonder if it would be possible to make an alteration in the description part of a new listing...." enter description here " if you click there to start typing....these words do not go away .....
    ... would it be possible to make this disappear when you click in it to start typing....if you forget...these words are in the decription , it is fine if you spot it when you check your listing ... but if you miss it ... the listing starts with...
    enter decription here ...I hope this is clear to you , as it looks a bit of a babble to me............Papa.

View gazza's Feedback (+2)
    All-About gazza
    View gazza's Listings
    Forum Posts

We needed to add this text as IE seemed to lock the textarea and a click on the New Document button was needed to unfreeze it. With text in it the problem didnt occur.

We will be removing the old WYSIWYG basic and advanced and replacing them with the beta version soon, we will be able to get rid of the text then.

Gazza
    eBid.net
    Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy
    GBP and USD Affiliate Program Re-Launched .. Promote eBid and earn
    Got a problem? Record it for us using http://screencast-o-matic.com/

Forum Saint
    View papagran40's Feedback (+261)
    All-About papagran40
    View papagran40's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thanks Gazza , I have no idea about beta ? I just hope what ever changes you make , will still work with my system ????...thanks again , papa.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

The beta test editor was announced a while ago, and a few of us having been testing it ever since. Look wherever you see the option to choose which editor type you want to use.

There is a simple javascript command that, when placed in the header of an HTML script, will eliminate the text in a textbox. Here it is (I hope this displays correctly:

<script language="Javascript">
    <!--
    //This credit must stay intact
    //Script by http://www.java-Scripts.net and http://wsabstract.com
    function doClear(theText) {
    if (theText.value == theText.defaultValue) {
    theText.value = ""
    }
    }
    //-->
    </script>

The forum software keeps adding BB codes, but if you copy and paste this exactly as it appears, it should do the trick. I use this script on my own website for submitting forms.

Would this work here?

Mark
    ================

The biggest truths are always left unsaid.

The biggest lies are repeated endlessly.

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Who are you suggesting uses this, and where do you think they should put it? Clean answers only, please!

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    Who are you suggesting uses this, and where do you think they should put it? Clean answers only, please!
    Anyone can use this script for writing their own web pages. However, I was suggesting it to the website administrators as a quick fix solution to the original suggestion in this thread. When this script is copied into the source code of an HTML page somewhere between <head> and </head>, it will make text in textboxes disappear once a user clicks on the box to enter their own text. Ba-da-bing. I use it on my own website.

Mark
    ================

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by marschenegger View Post
    Anyone can use this script for writing their own web pages. However, I was suggesting it to the website administrators as a quick fix solution to the original suggestion in this thread. When this script is copied into the source code of an HTML page somewhere between <head> and </head>, it will make text in textboxes disappear once a user clicks on the box to enter their own text. Ba-da-bing. I use it on my own website.

Mark
    But they've put the text in, in order to fix a problem with the editor. Why would they want to make it disappear? If they didn't want it there, they'd simply take it out of the set-up.

The disappearing text is not for the site administrators, it's for the end user of the forms on this website. It is the website administrators who have to install it for it to work on eBid. Re-read the original post in this discussion. The person was asking about making the text in the textbox disappear. Right now, if you simply add your description by copying and pasting, the text that was already in that original textbox does not disappear. The script I suggested fixes the problem. If you want to see what the script does in an actual form where it is used, go to my website:
    http://www.give-a-buck.com/email.html
    Scroll down to the large textbox that contains this text:
    "Hi, I loved your site and I want to buy all your chartered notes! Is it OK if I send you $100,000 cash?"
    Now CLICK on the textbox. The text should magically disappear before you try to add your own message. That's what the script does and that's the solution I think the person above wants. However, if you have disabled javascript in your browser settings, or your browser simply does not allow scripts, the script will not work.

Mark
    ================

Thread Information