View Poll Results: Best Offer option. Yes or No

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes it would be a "good" thing.

71 62.83%
  • No

42 37.17%
Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: How about a "Best-Offer" or a "Haggle" option?

View victorfrank's Feedback (+160)
    All-About victorfrank
    View victorfrank's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    If I want a 'Best Offer' then I list the item as an auction with the starting price the minimum I would be willing to let the item go for. Below that starting price I would not be willing to let the item go so there is no point in anyone offering me less.

I thought the whole idea of an auction was to get the best offer going.

A 'Best Offer' feature just adds a needless layer of complexity.
    I do agree about auctions being about obtaining the best price; on eB-y, the best offer feature was used on shop items, not auction items and for me, on expensive items which I was happy to consider offers on: this is common practice in the antiques trade, may not be so in other areas.
    Last edited by victorfrank; 27th February 2009 at 08:09 PM. Reason: adding: practice

Forum Saint
    Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey, United Kingdom
    View meebo1's Feedback (+7886)
    All-About meebo1
    View meebo1's Listings
    Forum Posts

I find it difficult to set an upper limit price, so I am willing to consider offers. The auction start price is my minimum, so anything in between if the buyer wants it quickly I'll consider

I can see why you wouldn't use the option "astral276", but others have use it in the past and there might be something to having it here.

We all love auctions. There is nothing quite like winning in the last minute by a couple of cents. But online auctions, from a historical point of view, are a relative new thing. Haggling has been around for almost ever.

It would be a useful device for those coming over from the other side. More members equals more popularity for the site, which will lead to "auctions" getting more bids.

Thank you for the poll. I voted "no" being a person from the coin and paper money category (closely related to collectables). The only reason some sellers would need a haggling option is that their items are so overpriced in the first place. I am making sales without a haggling option because I price items fairly. I realize there are some buyers who are much more inclined to buy if they think they can get a "bargain". When the majority of sellers overprice, it's not nearly as easy to recognize a bargain even when it stares you in the face. I think a haggling option would not be a benefit to this auction site. Saying that you accept lower offers without being asked simply screams to to potential buyer that your asking price is too high. At least where coins and paper money are concerned, there are publications with well-defined values for discrete items, and buyers know there is a minimum threshhold below which an offer could be deemed to be in bad faith. I'd rather not see this site become another eBay-wannabe.

Cheers,
    Mark
    ================

The biggest truths are always left unsaid.

The biggest lies are repeated endlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by marschenegger View Post
    Thank you for the poll. I voted "no" being a person from the coin and paper money category (closely related to collectables). The only reason some sellers would need a haggling option is that their items are so overpriced in the first place. I am making sales without a haggling option because I price items fairly. I realize there are some buyers who are much more inclined to buy if they think they can get a "bargain". At least where coins and paper money are concerned, there are publications with well-defined values for discrete items, and buyers know there is a minimum threshhold below which an offer could be deemed to be in bad faith.
    Mark
    You're absolutely correct, coins and paper money are very easy to price. We have a few listed, no problem at all deciding what they're worth. We try to set our prices between current wholesale and retail prices, which seems fair to both the buyer and the seller.

How about an antique sterling silver cake breaker? I haven't found another one like it anywhere on the web, I can't identify the pattern, I've asked on several sites. It contains approximately 5 ounces of silver, and it obviously is worth more than the melt-down value of silver. I found somewhat similar ones for sale at one time, both were on sites that usually charge more than GreedBay or eBid, so I chose a price lower than theirs, but still pretty high. Should I lower it to a ridiculous amount just to sell it, or wait for a buyer to come along and decide my price is fair? If I put it in an auction, I still have no idea what the reserve price should be.

I voted no, never would I use it and I don't see the point of it.
    Please Visit my Book Store:

Affordable books Books

Family Members:
    Gothicina

My Children:
    Honehe
    Niffnaff
    Tozcentral

I like the BEST OFFER option too, I won some nice bits and bobs on Greedybay using that option!! Also works great for sellers too!!

I think it would be a good idea to have "best offer" option as long as it is set up so it's easy to respond with a yes or no to the buyer.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbooks View Post
    I voted no, never would I use it and I don't see the point of it.
    Hi,
    Just because some wouldn't use the "best offer" feature doesn't mean it should not be available for those who would. Sometimes it is difficult to price things so this feature could be helpful. If it brings more sales for some, why not have it. Those who wouldn't use it wouldn't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by victorfrank View Post
    I do agree about auctions being about obtaining the best price; on eB-y, the best offer feature was used on shop items, not auction items and for me, on expensive items which I was happy to consider offers on: this is common practice in the antiques trade, may not be so in other areas.
    I don't see how this would be another layer? It would be there for those who wanted to use it and for those who don't see the need or pracicality of it -- don't need to use it. Some people like the "excitement" of bidding. Others like the idea of getting a "better deal" by making an offer. So why not provide both sets with opportunities.

Thread Information