View Poll Results: Best Offer option. Yes or No

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes it would be a "good" thing.

71 62.83%
  • No

42 37.17%
Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: How about a "Best-Offer" or a "Haggle" option?

South Queensferry, West Lothian, United Kingdom
    View HannaHolly's Feedback (+3177)
    All-About HannaHolly
    View HannaHolly's Listings
    Forum Posts

What's the point of bumping a thread every few hours? if people were interested they'd post on it anyway.
    For info I voted 'no' as I already price my auctions correctly and don't want to add unnecessary complex 'extras' to ebid. Will having a 'best offer or haggle' option bring new buyers to ebid? Highly unlikely, in fact it could stop users bidding in the first place as they'll assume the opening bid price is overpriced.

Well if new users don't see it they won't vote. They may like it, or not. I think they should have the option to vote until it ends on the 29th.

Unless you'd like to declare that the Best Offer option passes by a majority of 55.93%?

Forum Diehard
    View kedo's Feedback (+4128)
    All-About kedo
    View kedo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Polls like this are fairly pointless. If you ask people 'do you want a good thing?' or even 'do you want something that might be a good thing?' you will almost always get a positive response (I'm thinking flashing r's and showing bids here). It would be much better to ask people to choose between a set of possibilities e.g. What would you like eBid to do next? a/. introduce a best offer feature, b/. expand to new territories, c/. spend more on advertising etc., etc., etc.

If you were to rephrase your poll along those lines you'd soon find that best offer would loose out to other features/improvements. I'm not against a best offer feature, I don't think, but I'd far rather see eBid expand to cover all of Western Europe (fill in those irritating gaps - Belgium, Austria, Switzerland etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by theweaverboy View Post
    Well if new users don't see it they won't vote. They may like it, or not. I think they should have the option to vote until it ends on the 29th.

Unless you'd like to declare that the Best Offer option passes by a majority of 55.93%?
    If it's OK for others to bump their poll to keep it from getting burried, until the end, then it's OK for all to do it.

Default You're right I'm wrong so I'll just suck lemons

Seeing a message thread get bumped makes me want it to die that much more, so I'm being ironic and hypocritical with my reply here given that I already wrote off this thread as yesterday's news. But there is something I forgot to say previously.

Quote Originally Posted by kedo View Post
    Polls like this are fairly pointless. If you ask people 'do you want a good thing?' or even 'do you want something that might be a good thing?' you will almost always get a positive response (I'm thinking flashing r's and showing bids here). It would be much better to ask people to choose between a set of possibilities e.g. What would you like eBid to do next? a/. introduce a best offer feature, b/. expand to new territories, c/. spend more on advertising etc., etc., etc.

If you were to rephrase your poll along those lines you'd soon find that best offer would loose out to other features/improvements. I'm not against a best offer feature, I don't think, but I'd far rather see eBid expand to cover all of Western Europe (fill in those irritating gaps - Belgium, Austria, Switzerland etc.)
    I also see the results of this poll as being meaningless. While I acknowledge that the yes side won, I feel that the yes side was helped greatly by people who voted against their personal interests. In other words, some people voted yes because they want that option available for others to use, whether those "others" are current members or hypothetical members who are waiting to join when the site adopts this selling feature. Much less likely is the possibility that many people voted "no" when, in fact, they like the idea and would use it for their own auctions. However, I did notice a small surge in "no" votes after my more detailed posts... who knows, maybe I influenced a few people who otherwise would have gone along with the idea without weighing the consequences?

...For info I voted 'no' as I already price my auctions correctly and don't want to add unnecessary complex 'extras' to ebid. Will having a 'best offer or haggle' option bring new buyers to ebid? Highly unlikely, in fact it could stop users bidding in the first place as they'll assume the opening bid price is overpriced.
    My reasoning exactly. I have witnessed firsthand what happens when sellers anticipate being haggled (i.e. they raise their asking prices). Then we would have a website full of rotting overpriced inventory that doesn't move, just like a lot of the stuff in FeeBay stores in the Canadian paper money category.

But some people see this as a good thing and who am I to argue?

Mark
    ================

The biggest truths are always left unsaid.

The biggest lies are repeated endlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by marschenegger View Post
    I'm being ironic and hypocritical...

... who knows, maybe I influenced a few people who otherwise would have gone along with the idea without weighing the consequences?
    Common sense tells me not to say anything.

Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher2008 View Post
    Common sense tells me not to say anything.
    LOL! Behave BW.

If all members used the forum I think a Best Offer as an option would win overwhelmingly, because it would be in there best personal interests.

And yes there are other things that need improvement, but they would take a lot more time and money compared to a best offer option.

Remember I said a Best Offer would a "good" thing. I didn't say it would a primary upgrade. Advertising of course, as well as expansion would be amoung others, but those take a whole lot of time and money. And let's be honest eBid doesn't really have the revenue to get those done. A Best Offer would be just a simple way to help boost revenue for the other advances.

"marschenegger" I know you don't like it, but it would be a sellers choice whether or not to use it. Much like the "reserve" option that you said you liked in another thread. I know why sellers use them and they are probably wise to, but most do find them a bit annoying. AGAIN though seller's choice and we shouldn’t begrudge anyone a choice on how they would like to list something.

Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher2008 View Post
    if it's ok for others to bump their poll to keep it from getting burried, until the end, then it's ok for all to do it.
    dido, annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd

BUMP!

Thread Information