View Poll Results: Best Offer option. Yes or No

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes it would be a "good" thing.

71 62.83%
  • No

42 37.17%
Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: How about a "Best-Offer" or a "Haggle" option?

Of course! - and YHM :-)
    Why not take a quick look at my Stores?

Find all kinds of books HERE

Find 'Plus Size' Clothes HERE

Find NEW tiny Baby Stuff HERE

Find 'Bits & Bobs' HERE

I always work on.... my start price is the lowest price I will accept for an item, and if, at a later date, I wish to lower my price I will edit the price in the auction

Quote Originally Posted by somersethedge View Post
    I always work on.... my start price is the lowest price I will accept for an item, and if, at a later date, I wish to lower my price I will edit the price in the auction
    Which makes total sense.

Which is why best offer should really only be used in instances where the seller is offering auction and BuyNow.

That way your auction start price is the lowest you will accept (if the buyer wants to pay that, they will have to bid and wait). The system shouldn't allow an offer lower than this.

The Best Offer is a great compromise for the buyer who doesn't want to pay the BuyNow price, and can't wait for auction end.

This way you get more than your start price and you don't have to wait till auction end to make a sale.
    http://im1.ebidst.com/upload_banner/booksforsale_61768.jpg

Booksforsale For Vintage Homewares and New & Secondhand Books

Main Store - Click Here

Join ebid here

Quote Originally Posted by booksforsale View Post
    The Best Offer is a great compromise for the buyer who doesn't want to pay the BuyNow price, and can't wait for auction end.

This way you get more than your start price and you don't have to wait till auction end to make a sale.
    Sure, if you believe that artificially-high Buy prices motivate buyers to pay more than they normally would.

================

The biggest truths are always left unsaid.

The biggest lies are repeated endlessly.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by marschenegger View Post
    Sure, if you believe that artificially-high Buy prices motivate buyers to pay more than they normally would.

What does a opening bid almost as high as the buy now, or just a bit that is kind of high, or a low bid with a high reserve do pray tell?

A "Best Offer" is just an option, which no one would be force to use. It is the sellers property and listing they should set it up how they wish. If they want it they use it they can, and if they don't then they won't.

It might attach new members both buying and selling, and they would attach others, and so on. It is a baby step, but a step none the less.

You can sit in a boat on rough waters and pray to make it to shore, but rowing helps.

I agree with somersethedge, my starting bid is my lowest.

Leslie

Quote Originally Posted by marschenegger View Post

It may be that you are assuming that if there is a best offer system in place, that all buyers will 'artificially' raise the prices of their items. Which price, the auction start price? The Buy Now price? I think you mean the buy now price?

I do see where you are coming from, but in the 21st century I think buyers can see an artificially high price a mile off. I think there are very few sellers who would think a modern, switched-on buyer would be taken in with a huge inflated price-tab next to a big sign saying "make me an offer"

I am putting forward the Pro BuyNow side from the point of someone who is listing an item with a:

1. bottom line auction price and,
    2. a FAIR BuyNow price.

I will be happy if I get my bottom line auction price
    I will be glad to get the fair price I put on my BuyNow

The third option is if someone makes me an offer in the middle. Surely I can't be anything other than satisfied with that as it is between two parameters that I am happy to accept?

You see, what works with haggling is generally both parties go away feeling happy, because they have come to an agreement.

Whatever pricing method a seller uses whether it is rock bottom, 'fair' or artificial; whatever the seller sets his or her price at, it is the buyer that really sets the price by making the decision to buy or walk away.

The more buying choices I can give customers the better, because all customers are different. Some want to BuyNow, some want to bid and wait and some want to play with you.

The only notion keeping prices artificially high is the notion that something has a fixed and definite value and that it MUST sell for that.
    http://im1.ebidst.com/upload_banner/booksforsale_61768.jpg

Booksforsale For Vintage Homewares and New & Secondhand Books

Main Store - Click Here

Join ebid here

Quote Originally Posted by JudesNiceThings View Post
    Errr...

I don't think that 'randy' has the same meaning in US as it does here.....!! LOL
    PMSL Good point. hee! hee!
    PLJ

Store open again
    For Portraits in Pastels, Watercolour and Graphite Pencil.
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Sweet-Smel...cess-Art-Store
    For beautiful hand made Greeting Cards
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/The-Little-Card-Shop
    For Collectors Dolls
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/The-Little-Doll-Shop
    Quality Secondhand Books
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/The-Little-Book-Shop
    Fine Jewellery and Costume Jewellery
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/The-Little-Jewellery-Shop

It is a matter of personal preference.

A seller's preferred way of setting up a listing is kind of like one's preferred beverage. Do you like coffee or tea? Do you take cream, milk, or sugar?

A seller should be allowed to set up there listing as they like. It is their property and their time. If buyers are annoyed by it they won't bid.

Limiting listing "options" just limits the site.

I think I'm going to edit my first post and add this to the bottom;-)

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnd BUMP!

Thread Information