My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Need your opinion about damaged proof coins

Default Need advice about damaged proof coins

Plowing through another box, I just found a packet of envelopes from the Philadelphia Mint, containing proof sets from 1958, 1960, 1962 . . . haven't checked all the dates yet.

When I opened the first three, I discovered that some of the coins have black spots. Apparently the packaging wasn't completely inert. Most of the coins are pristine, and I can sell the undamaged coins separately. So far the bad damage seems to be on the silver coins, not the pennies and nickels.

My problem is what to do with the damaged ones. Do these have any value at all to collectors? I don't feel like going through the work of taking pictures and listing them if they're worthless. I can add them to my scrap silver and sell them for the metal content.

View FBNeNotes's Feedback (+1108)
    All-About FBNeNotes
    View FBNeNotes's Listings
    Forum Posts

Sell them for metal content.. or offer as singles with opening bid of $1.95 - $3.95 with images and description. I doubt if they will sell though, it depends on their eye-appeal or lack off.
    I usually Dump unsightly collectibles(under $10.00).. in the trash, I do not want to waste time and thought.

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Do not attempt to clean the coins. Give a very accurate description with pictures. Start the bidding low. Some people do buy toned or blemished coin, particularly those who are skilled in safely cleaning coins.

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Just recalled an experience. I accidently damaged a proof set while I was preparing it to sell. I explained in detail in the description, and posted several pics detailing the damage to the set. Someone bought the set for over $1300, and left positive feedback.

I sold a different proof set that was toned and had some dings. I detailed the flaws and took close-ups of the flaws. When it sold, I wrapped it with great care for shipping. The buyer thanked me for the accurate description, and for the careful packaging. I always suspected the set must have been his birthday or some special date for him.

I could not believe either of the responses of these buyers, but I was glad for the sales. After that I've never tried to second guess what people are willing to buy.

After your first response, I started looking at listings here and on other sites. I believe you're right. I've found several damaged coins for sale, apparently that doesn't make them worthless.

I've only cut one of the sets apart, preparing to list the undamaged ones. I'm going to list the remainder as complete sets. If they don't sell, I can always separate them later. Besides which, it's a lot faster to take pictures and describe the sets. It's the individual coins that take forever.

Thanks for your input.

Thread Information