My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: More bead cats, please

Kayla, agree about the tigertail. I never know whether to put it with a space, hypen, or neither!

Delta, I get what you're saying about needless sub-cats, but a buyer would rarely be looking for one specific item. They may be looking for a particular type, shape or colour, but would want to see a range of similar ones to choose from - at least that's the way I shop online! And detailed sub-categories help if you don't know the exact name of what you're looking for or how to spell it.

Maybe Gazza could ask for a certain number of "votes" for a new category before he goes to the trouble of adding it, to be sure that it is really necessary?

Check out our bargain craft supplies, including embroidery and cross-stitch

treasuredbargains i'm all for a vote and happy to go with what the majority would like to see .Not sure if mark or gazza wouls have time maybe you would like to put one on the kitchen table thread and add a poll ? just a thought

i have still got my fingered crossed that will will get these new cats

Don't know how to do a poll, Kayla! Will have a look tomorrow when I have more time, and see if I can work it out.

Check out our bargain craft supplies, including embroidery and cross-stitch

Quote Originally Posted by deltadelta48 View Post
    Oh dear (I'd say Oh Lordy but it sounded too religious)! Call me anti-sub-cat, but if a buyer needs a specific bead, they will just search for it.

Sellers should not have to navigate a huge sea of sub-categories to list their beads CORRECTLY, and techs should not have to spend countless hours creating new sub-categories. Adding more does not solve any "problem", it just provides an alternate way of finding an item. Unfortunately making changes is not cheap, it costs ebid tech time (money) and sellers time (money)too.

Also, since there are thousands of beads/pearls/crystals in numerous sizes, cuts, colors, shapes, and countries of origin (all important to buyers) will breaking down all categories be far behind? Why?
    As a bead buyer I have to agree. What sellers need to do to make things easy for me is make sure the Title of what they are selling is specific and accurate. eg String of 8x28mm Black Onyx beads The country of origin is immaterial to me . As a seller its always possible to add sub cats in your shop so isn't that a better way to go about it if you feel such a need? If i am simply browsing, rather than searching for beads I would get annoyed by having to keep drilling down sub cats and I would just give up
    Just my own personal thoughts
    "The best and most beautiful things in this world cannot be seen or even heard, but must be felt with the heart" - Helen Keller
    My Store

View cmjewels925's Feedback (+7924)
    All-About cmjewels925
    View cmjewels925's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kiamyka View Post
    As a bead buyer I have to agree. What sellers need to do to make things easy for me is make sure the Title of what they are selling is specific and accurate. eg String of 8x28mm Black Onyx beads The country of origin is immaterial to me . As a seller its always possible to add sub cats in your shop so isn't that a better way to go about it if you feel such a need? If i am simply browsing, rather than searching for beads I would get annoyed by having to keep drilling down sub cats and I would just give up
    Just my own personal thoughts
    If you're just browsing, you can bring up all 5 thousand items in the Bead section at once without having to drill down anything but, as a buyer, I think that would put me off. Or, you could use the categories within the Bead section to browse by the type of bead you're looking for, again, without having to bother about any further sub-cats unless you want to refine your search.

I still feel the changes are needed because the second largest section, with almost a fifth of the listings, is "Other". This means that sellers have no better category to put their items.

Last edited by cmjewels925; 16th March 2009 at 10:15 PM.

CMEJewellery For all your jewellery needs.

Beads 'n' Bobs For beads.

Charms 'n' Findings For charms and jewellery making supplies.

yes i agree jewles i personally don't like puting items in the "other " cat but sometime like you say there is no where else better to put it

Quote Originally Posted by cmjewels925 View Post
    If you're just browsing, you can bring up all 5 thousand items in the Bead section at once without having to drill down anything but, as a buyer, I think that would put me off. Or, you could use the categories within the Bead section to browse by the type of bead you're looking for, again, without having to bother about any further sub-cats unless you want to refine your search.

I still feel the changes are needed because the second largest section, with almost a fifth of the listings, is "Other". This means that sellers have no better category to put their items.

Just took time to have a look and my goodness you are right it's a right mess and does need fixing some way. I suppose I have never noticed as generally I know exactly what I am seeking- but being an addict I do love to just browse and see what may feed my habit
    "The best and most beautiful things in this world cannot be seen or even heard, but must be felt with the heart" - Helen Keller
    My Store

View cmjewels925's Feedback (+7924)
    All-About cmjewels925
    View cmjewels925's Listings
    Forum Posts

Well, until Da Boyz get round to making us some more bead cats, Meebo1 has come to the rescue.

YDC bead cat
    http://uk.ten.ebid.net/perl/auction....222&mo=auction

CMEJewellery For all your jewellery needs.

Beads 'n' Bobs For beads.

Charms 'n' Findings For charms and jewellery making supplies.

Thread Information