Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Does anyone know how to identify the country on foreign coins?

Default Does anyone know how to identify the country on foreign coins?

I finally started listing the foreign coins we found in the two old homesteads we emptied. They were in desk drawers, dresser drawers, jewelry boxes . . .

Ran into a big problem. Some of them don't have the name of the country, yet appear to be real coins. Another group is written in alphabets I can't read. One of them appears to be in Arabic script, several are obviously Asian, but I can't tell the difference between Japan, China, Korea, etc.

As an example, I just spent an hour searching for a coat of arms on one coin, labeled only "2" and "1910". My guess was that it's a version of the double-headed Russian eagle, it fits the description, but all the coins I found had the country and denomination on the coin, and the eagle doesn't have the same specific design.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Maybe I'll start a weekly contest . . . name that coin!

OK, here's the first one. Wasted an hour looking at pictures of Russian coins, didn't find a match. Sure looks like a real coin, doesn't it?

Forum Master
    View poppa501's Feedback (+642)
    All-About poppa501
    View poppa501's Listings
    Forum Posts

Austrian 2 Heller (1892-1915)

Love to all
    Poppa

Forum Master
    View poppa501's Feedback (+642)
    All-About poppa501
    View poppa501's Listings
    Forum Posts

Tia--try here. If no lettering, try step 1 option 2.
    http://www.worldcoingallery.com/Inst-ID/index.html

Love to all
    Poppa

Wow! Found it right away.

Not many listed. This is the other challenge. It's easy to find a fair price for U.S. coins (assuming I get the grade right), but it isn't worth the expense to subscribe to periodicals for a few foreign ones. Instead I plow through the ones listed online and look for one in comparable condition.

I also found some new websites that may be helpful in identifying the rest of these mystery coins.

Thank you so much! Love this forum . . .

Poppa, thank you for the website!

With a little educated guessing, and a full day's time, I was able to find every one of my mystery coins via the pictures. That gave me enough information to then find their descriptions on other sites, and decide on a reasonable price. One of them turned out to be, not a coin, but a WWI token from Germany. Still need to research the history of that one.

Just in case we find more of these when we unpack boxes, I've bookmarked the site. Thanks again.

Thread Information