Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Microsoft work with ebid to drive out rogue sellers

Scarborough, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View heatemyfather's Feedback (+53)
    All-About heatemyfather
    View heatemyfather's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SalusLibrorum View Post
    <rant>Although M$ have caused a few problems with their.docx and .xlsx formats in Office 2007 as nothing else is compatible with it - presumably that's the idea, so everyone has to go back to M$. The answer is for everyone who uses free software to go back to the sender of the .docx or .xlsx document and tell them to save it as something everyone can read, if M$ get enough complaints maybe they'll get the message. </rant>
    Agreed. I have read and heard that Office 2007 is total bloat-ware and causes numerous impassable problems, and this came to me via the owner of our company so it's good to see he's on the ball.

Having said that, does anyone know a database program that works with Access?
    If you can create the Access database using a MySQL compatible database then OpenOffice should work with it, although I have never tried it myself. I just created my database using the OpenOffice recommended database format (probably MySQL).

Problems might occur when you try loading your database into Access, as while everyone else bends over backwards to make things open and compatible, MS and their "compatible" spiel seem to bend over backwards to make Windows and all of their associated software as incompatible with non-MS software as they think they can get away with. Also MS has the STUPIDEST menu layout of any software I've ever used! They hide menus all over the system where you least expect it. Sorry, almost went off on one there!
    My auctions: video games, photography stuff, miniature wargaming hobby bits and pieces
    My eBid stores: Miniature Hobby Store | Old Games
    My eBid adverts page (also home to my free eBid promotional graphics):
    http://www.jonathanmortimer.co.uk/adverts/

There is alot of software on the net that is pirated. I'm glad that people help police the site. It gives me a far greater chance of moving my 100% legal software. I know I have some of the best prices in the world from previous sales on feebay. I can't compete against illegal or copied software though. Keep in mind that there is legal software made all around the world. Asia, Mexico, Canada (we have some great studios in Montreal) to name a few. It is a big problem though and very hard to curb the pirates. Watched a show on W5 awhile ago showing how many phonies and fakes are being made. Right down to Durac*ll batteries even.

Scarborough, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View heatemyfather's Feedback (+53)
    All-About heatemyfather
    View heatemyfather's Listings
    Forum Posts

For all Microsoft's 'Genuine Advantage' ****e they still suffer a huge amount of pirated and illegal copies of their software being sold. I say such measures as the software key and online verification / registration are totally ineffective and a waste of time, especially for corporate setups when they may have to do this 50+ times during an upgrade cycle or for maintenance; I really wish they would remove them from Windows.
    My auctions: video games, photography stuff, miniature wargaming hobby bits and pieces
    My eBid stores: Miniature Hobby Store | Old Games
    My eBid adverts page (also home to my free eBid promotional graphics):
    http://www.jonathanmortimer.co.uk/adverts/

Whilst not agreeing with software piracy, I can see why people do it. Windows and other M$ software is crazy expensive and you have to just about give up your soul (not to mention full control of your own machine in the latest lunacy) to be given the ability to run it.

Mind you, it's also highly inconvenient, really I don't know why people use it, unless they have to for work (see my Access problem above). When I re-installed my daughter's perfectly legal copy of Windows XP, there were about 3 hours of hoops to jump through before it was up and running, and that included using a service pack 2 disc that was supposed to have all the updates until then included on it.

When my own copy of Windows corrupted, I contemplated all those updates, and installed Ubuntu.

I agree about the authentication and other measures being a waste of time, if someone is going to pirate the software they will, it's easy enough to get hold of. All M$ are doing are annoying their paying customers, no wonder they're losing market share, they don't have a complete monopoly any more, you would have thought they might have noticed by now, and be trying to entice customers not irritate them.

Thread Information