Thread: Quick Reference Guide to Grading Books

View iwiw60's Feedback (+761)
    All-About iwiw60
    View iwiw60's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Quick Reference Guide to Grading Books

First's Quick Reference Guide
    To Grading Books
    Within the general descriptions below there is latitude for individual differences in grading standards. Part of the process of becoming an informed collector/seller is learning how various professional booksellers grade their offerings.

Very Fine (VF)

The highest grade given to any copy, very fine is a term that describes a crisp fresh copy and it admits no flaws. Any copy with even a minor blemish must not be graded very fine; therefore, there is no "else very fine" grade. Please note that some sellers use the terms "mint" or "as new" in place of "very fine." While we feel that "very fine" is more precise, there is nothing improper in the use of those terms in description.

Fine (F)

A copy that is without visible flaws, but one that may lack the pristine crispness of a very fine copy. Many antiquarian dealers quite properly never give a book a grade higher than fine. A book that is graded "fine" has had excellent and loving care. Any minor blemish in the book or the dust wrapper must be noted in the description.

Very Good (VG)

The most common grade given to a collectable copy, very good means exactly what it says. A very good copy is no longer fresh; it has been handled and shows some signs of wear, but it is still sound and appealing. Flaws such as ownership signatures, bookplates and remainder marks must be noted in the description, along with rubbing, chips and tears, and price-clipping in dust wrappers, where applicable.

Good (G)

To quote one of our favorite booksellers, "Good ain't good." Good is the lowest grade given to a collectable copy. The book has been used and abused, but it is whole. There may be one major flaw, like dampstaining or a cracked hinge, that keeps it from a higher grade, or there may be an accumulation of minor problems. A dust wrapper may have some design elements lost, but it must not be fragmentary. A term used for a copy hovering on the brink of uncollectability is "fair" for a weak "good."

Uncollected Conditions
    A copy must not be given a collectable grade if it is not whole either in the binding or in the text, or if it has been abused to the point that it is no longer sound or attractive. A frequently seen example of an uncollectable book is an ex-library copy, with such common blemishes as pockets glued to - or torn off - the endpapers, abundant rubber-stamping and pasted-down lending sheets. An ex-library copy, while not collectable, may be an acceptable reading copy. However, when its aesthetic appeal or structural integrity is lost, a book is no longer collectable.

Please note that except for the very fine condition, many booksellers use steps in between grades, such as "near fine," "very good plus" or "very good minus." Some dealers also grade the books and the dust wrappers separately; this, too, is acceptable practice.

Reproduced with the permission of Firsts Magazine, Inc.
    www.firsts.com

View madelaine's Feedback (+5872)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Very useful - thank you
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

View iwiw60's Feedback (+761)
    All-About iwiw60
    View iwiw60's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thanks, Madelaine...I like to post useful things for fellow booksellers now and again...happy selling today!

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

My own take on this, and some other terminology is here: http://www.bykimbo.com/glossary.htm it's a bit old and creaky now, I should probably go through and see if it needs an update. <sigh> one day!

Thanks for that, OP

I have my own 5-stage grading system, which is explained on every listing I post.
    Why not take a quick look at my Stores?

Find all kinds of books HERE

Find 'Plus Size' Clothes HERE

Find NEW tiny Baby Stuff HERE

Find 'Bits & Bobs' HERE

Thread Information