My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Limoges added to Collectibles Please

There is a big market for collectable china - I sell Limoges china at antiques fairs.

I didn't appreciate that there actually was 'modern' Limoges!
    Why not take a quick look at my Stores?

Find all kinds of books HERE

Find 'Plus Size' Clothes HERE

Find NEW tiny Baby Stuff HERE

Find 'Bits & Bobs' HERE

View madelaine's Feedback (+5872)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

The dividing line between modern and collectable in china is a matter of opinion - one woman's cabinet cup is another woman's extra tea cup to replace the one she lost. Please don't add extra complications by putting china in Antiques and in collectables!!! A buyer can tell the difference!
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Rhondda Cynon Taf, Rhondda Cynon Taff, United Kingdom
    View Trinakarenmille's Feedback (+2574)
    All-About Trinakarenmille
    View Trinakarenmille's Listings
    Forum Posts

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by madelaine View Post
    The dividing line between modern and collectable in china is a matter of opinion - one woman's cabinet cup is another woman's extra tea cup to replace the one she lost. Please don't add extra complications by putting china in Antiques and in collectables!!! A buyer can tell the difference!
    Madeline.

If I have a piece of Collectible Antique or Vintage china I would expect it to be shown in the Antique or Collectible categories, not in a category full of items that came off the production line in China last month.

It doesnt matter if a buyer is replacing a lost Antique teacup, that buyer would still expect to find the Antique cup he/she wishes to replace in the Antiques section. Does it make it less of an Antique because it is one cup & saucer rather than a full te set.

Just looked at the Antiques section again.
    There are no genuine Antique china to be found, but you can find cheap modern picture frames there.

Most buyers would expect to go from site to site & find an Antique china items in the Antique category.
    Antique & Vintage china collectibles in the Collectibles section.

It seems to me that some cheap items have more prominence in 2 of the main categories where collectors of pieces of yester year would expect to find the items they are looking for to add to their collections.

Shame really as I wanted to add those items to ebid along with my various other items, I will add some of my other items here, with the Antiques & Collectibles going onto a site with more suitable categories for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicina View Post
    Starting to put china etc categories back into collectables is a backward step IMO.
    Can't there be a subcat>

in collectables - porcelain - then antique or new - then brands?

View madelaine's Feedback (+5872)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Trina, You have missed my point completely. Cheap chinese copies should not be in Limoges... But you (like everyone else) have failed to define Antique. Until there is a definition, such a distinction is meaningless.

and few people browse - they search - so what else is in the category doesn't bother them because they never see it.
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

I agree that porcelain/china deserves it's own main category, however I also believe that it would be advantageous to buyers and sellers to have the additional links in collectables.

I know if I am looking for collectable porcelain - i.e. trinket boxes, antique jardinières, etc, I'm going to look in collectables first.

As a seller, I am going to list a character jug in collectables, not china. I would list trinket boxes under:

collectables - porcelain - decorative porcelain - Limoges - trinket boxes

Antique is anything over a certain age. (In the US, is is anything older than 70 years.)

I know that I don't want to sift through thousands of new items to find one antique.

I am trying to sell here, but honestly find the site a mess when it comes to shopping. There are entirely too many "mis-listed" items.

I know if I am looking for collectable porcelain - i.e. trinket boxes, antique jardinières, etc, I'm going to look in collectables first.

Me too!

I know that I don't want to sift through thousands of new items to find one antique.

And again!
    Why not take a quick look at my Stores?

Find all kinds of books HERE

Find 'Plus Size' Clothes HERE

Find NEW tiny Baby Stuff HERE

Find 'Bits & Bobs' HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Trinakarenmillejamboree View Post
    Madeline.

If I have a piece of Collectible Antique or Vintage china I would expect it to be shown in the Antique or Collectible categories, not in a category full of items that came off the production line in China last month.

It doesnt matter if a buyer is replacing a lost Antique teacup, that buyer would still expect to find the Antique cup he/she wishes to replace in the Antiques section. Does it make it less of an Antique because it is one cup & saucer rather than a full te set.

Just looked at the Antiques section again.
    There are no genuine Antique china to be found, but you can find cheap modern picture frames there.

Most buyers would expect to go from site to site & find an Antique china items in the Antique category.
    Antique & Vintage china collectibles in the Collectibles section.

It seems to me that some cheap items have more prominence in 2 of the main categories where collectors of pieces of yester year would expect to find the items they are looking for to add to their collections.

Shame really as I wanted to add those items to ebid along with my various other items, I will add some of my other items here, with the Antiques & Collectibles going onto a site with more suitable categories for them.
    Taking your argument to its obvious conclusion then then, we should do away with the top level categories, Porcelain,Pottery & Glass, Stamps, Dolls & Bears, Sports Memorabilia & Cards, because they should all come under collectables.
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

Thread Information