Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding A Description

Question Adding A Description

In trying to add an new action I am only able to put in a description in the plain text setting. I have tried to add a description to a new auction on 2 different computers, one using XP and one using Vista. I have several auctions and have never had a problem using the advanced setting. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View maroy41's Feedback (+1089)
    All-About maroy41
    View maroy41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TigerTrailValues View Post
    In trying to add an new action I am only able to put in a description in the plain text setting. I have tried to add a description to a new auction on 2 different computers, one using XP and one using Vista. I have several auctions and have never had a problem using the advanced setting. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    I'm having the same problem adding descriptions whether it be simple or advanced it's only just started happening, I've always copied and pasted my synopsis but for some reason the page stretches, sometimes I'm lucky and it lists but more often than not I am getting the error message, I've just started working with word 2007 so it's probably something I'm NOT doing, I just wish I knew what! Grrrrrr.
    Great books reasonable prices please click on the logo below and browse around I have quite a selection for you to choose from.

Some great Dvd's --->
    Here

View gazza's Feedback (+2)
    All-About gazza
    View gazza's Listings
    Forum Posts
    eBid.net
    Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy
    GBP and USD Affiliate Program Re-Launched .. Promote eBid and earn
    Got a problem? Record it for us using http://screencast-o-matic.com/

Angry Recent trouble with adding descriptions ....grrr!

Quote Originally Posted by minx41 View Post
    I'm having the same problem adding descriptions whether it be simple or advanced it's only just started happening, I've always copied and pasted my synopsis but for some reason the page stretches, sometimes I'm lucky and it lists but more often than not I am getting the error message, I've just started working with word 2007 so it's probably something I'm NOT doing, I just wish I knew what! Grrrrrr.
    For everyone that is experiencing trouble with adding a description to their auctions - I may have a solution, or at least you can try it out and see if it works for you.
    I have had the same problem, whether using plain, simple or advanced WYSIWYG, I was using IE and also copied a lot of my text from Word docs. When I tried to amend or add new text to the auction description box, the cursor shot away half way up the page, it was becoming impossible to add or amend text.
    I posted a 'HELP' message in the forums, and received lots of advice from the forum 'Saints'.
    Kimbo advised me to try Firefox, so I uploaded this, and was eventually able to add or alter descriptions in the text box. I was soooo happy to be able to list or amend existing auctions.
    The trouble then was: - when viewed through Firefox, most of my existing item descriptions came out all badly distorted, different coloured texts, different fonts, all over the place. HORRIBLE!
    I also learned from Gothicina, Gazza, and all the rest of the friendly, helpful Ebid support team, that Word documents contain lots of un-necessary HTML, and was advised to use Notebook instead, or do my own HTML.
    Now, I am plodding my way through all of my auctions - trying to amend each one, so that both IE and Firefox users see a reasonable item description, and not something that looks like it was conjured up by an industrious, dyslexic, colour-blind, befuddled amateur, new to computing skills. (A couple or so of these descriptions actually DO relate to me!!)
    (BTW- I count myself lucky that I have just less than 300 to alter!!)
    I have NEVER had this problem before - either on Fleabay or Ebid - it is something that rose its ugly head after the recent 'update' ???
    Here is something that you may like to look at:
    http://uk.four.ebid.net/perl/auction...535&mo=auction
    or if this doesn't work - Auction ID : 13713535 (Gallery Auction)
    OUCH! That hurts my eyes! So ..erm, red??

I HAVE tried going back to My Defaults and trying to sort out the probs there, no luck.
    As far as I can see - for bods with listing probs - its Firefox (Not IE) if you are unable to amend/list descriptions, Notepad (Not Word) for copying/pasting text - and make sure that your curser always arrives at the very top left of the page you are trying to enter/amend/alter, as there still may be some rogue HTML left - as I have found.
    I hope that this will help all troubled Ebid sellers that are experiencing difficulties and have asked for help, and also - for all potential newby sellers that have NOT, so far, asked for any help.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by SEEDYNEEDSNMORE View Post
    I also learned from Gothicina, Gazza, and all the rest of the friendly, helpful Ebid support team, that Word documents contain lots of un-necessary HTML, and was advised to use Notebook instead, or do my own HTML.
    'Sounds like sage advice as I have used my own HTML code (the basics) for years and I never had a problem with creating item descriptions. People who complain about that as a suggestion should be aware that you don't need to be a programmer to know the easiest HTML tags. There are HTML tutorials online, just Google it. Once you feel comfortable with the basics and can write your own simple web pages, a practical way to extend your learning is to look at HTML code from pages you visit online. If you see something neat on a page you are visiting, check the code to see how the author created it. There's no need to remember long strings of code... just copy what you see into a text file and save it for later reference! Writing item descriptions shouldn't require a lot of complicated code and Javascript. I find that buyers appreciate concise descriptions more than long, busy presentations when deciding to bid on an item. Using complicated software to write complicated code... sounds like overkill to me.

Cheers,
    Mark
    ================

The biggest truths are always left unsaid.

The biggest lies are repeated endlessly.

Not sure if what I write now is relevant to OP’s issue but I post anyway as copying from Word has been referred to and my experience might be helpful to other readers. It helps me at my end to develop an archive of vehicle applications for my car parts by part number. I do this on Word documents. It is then most convenient for me to list on eBid by copying and pasting from these Word documents into the description field when creating new lists. I have Internet Explorer and Firefox on my computer. I usually list on eBid using Firefox as it is quicker than IE. Last week I discovered that a number of my listings which looked perfect when viewing on Firefox had either no description field or corrupted descriptions when viewed on IE. There have been previous posts on this Forum regarding background information on Word that gets carried over when copying and pasting. I am not a technical expert but presume that some of this information was causing the problem on IE. At least 250 listings out of around 800 in my eBid shops were affected. I had to close over 200 listings and have been relisting them. To relist I create the draft descriptions on Word, format in web version on Word (for example Web Arial), relist in Firefox using copy and paste from the Word document, then pick up the listing in IE, edit in IE to take out some extraneous stuff that appears in the description field, and then review the final version of the listing on both Firefox and IE. This approach seems to be producing problem free listings. It is possible that one of the problem areas might have been trying to change the formatting in the eBid editor of something that had been formatted a different way on the original Word document which is why I am now getting the final formatting done on the Word documents. If there are other people who copy from Word documents, these comments might be helpful for them as well.

All-About maroy41
    View maroy41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SEEDYNEEDSNMORE View Post
    For everyone that is experiencing trouble with adding a description to their auctions - I may have a solution, or at least you can try it out and see if it works for you.
    I have had the same problem, whether using plain, simple or advanced WYSIWYG, I was using IE and also copied a lot of my text from Word docs. When I tried to amend or add new text to the auction description box, the cursor shot away half way up the page, it was becoming impossible to add or amend text.
    I posted a 'HELP' message in the forums, and received lots of advice from the forum 'Saints'.
    Kimbo advised me to try Firefox, so I uploaded this, and was eventually able to add or alter descriptions in the text box. I was soooo happy to be able to list or amend existing auctions.
    The trouble then was: - when viewed through Firefox, most of my existing item descriptions came out all badly distorted, different coloured texts, different fonts, all over the place. HORRIBLE!
    Now, I am plodding my way through all of my auctions - trying to amend each one, so that both IE and Firefox users see a reasonable item description, and not something that looks like it was conjured up by an industrious, dyslexic, colour-blind, befuddled amateur, new to computing skills. (A couple or so of these descriptions actually DO relate to me!!)
    (BTW- I count myself lucky that I have just less than 300 to alter!!)
    I have NEVER had this problem before - either on Fleabay or Ebid - it is something that rose its ugly head after the recent 'update' ???
    Here is something that you may like to look at:
    http://uk.four.ebid.net/perl/auction...535&mo=auction
    or if this doesn't work - Auction ID : 13713535 (Gallery Auction)
    OUCH! That hurts my eyes! So ..erm, red??

I HAVE tried going back to My Defaults and trying to sort out the probs there, no luck.
    As far as I can see - for bods with listing probs - its Firefox (Not IE) if you are unable to amend/list descriptions, Notepad (Not Word) for copying/pasting text - and make sure that your curser always arrives at the very top left of the page you are trying to enter/amend/alter, as there still may be some rogue HTML left - as I have found.
    I hope that this will help all troubled Ebid sellers that are experiencing difficulties and have asked for help, and also - for all potential newby sellers that have NOT, so far, asked for any help.
    Thanks for that info, I have found out through trial and error, when I use Firefox I have more problems listing with that than IE although IE is much slower, I will try notepad, and tho' I have never used it, I will figure out how. I can't help but wonder tho', why is this only happening now when I have had no problems before, what changes caused these problems???????????
    Great books reasonable prices please click on the logo below and browse around I have quite a selection for you to choose from.

Some great Dvd's --->
    Here

All-About maroy41
    View maroy41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Problem solved using notepad, thank you all for your help

Some great Dvd's --->
    Here

Smile Glad it worked for you!

Quote Originally Posted by minx41 View Post
    Problem solved using notepad, thank you all for your help
    Thats great news minx41 -
    Very pleased that I could help solve this problem!

I am concerned that we have had so much trouble trying to add/amend item descriptions - never had this problem before.
    We are not alone either, if you have a mooch about OP's questions .. eg:
    "Troubles with WYSIWYG advanced editor"
    Quote Originally Posted by candyk View Post
    I just tried again - nothing - can't get the format or fonts to drop down - absolutely nothing is working - hope you can help I would love to use this.
    Regarding your comment -
    "I can't help but wonder tho', why is this only happening now when I have had no problems before, what changes caused these problems???????????
    Today 07:45 AM" - "
    .... I think it may have started when the last ...erm "upgrade" (???) took place.
    (I am bog-eyed trying to sort out all my auction item descriptions, which have suddenly gone haywire - good job I have patience ... although must admit it's running at a low ebb right now.....especially as sales have suddenly become non-existant)
    Kind regards, Trish xxx
    SEEDYNEEDSNMORE
    Attached Images Attached Images  

All-About maroy41
    View maroy41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Trisha I have well over 800 auctions and I have had to delete about 45 so far and relist with notepad as they were all haywire, I haven't checked all mine yet, I am hoping the only ones affected were the ones I listed after the, erm 'upgrade took place.
    Fortunately my sales have been quite good lately, I hope that keeps up, it helps make up for the nonsense with the listings.

Some great Dvd's --->
    Here

Thread Information