Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Americanize the US eBid site

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View lofty100e's Feedback (+74)
    All-About lofty100e
    View lofty100e's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deltadelta48 View Post
    Gosh, do US moms really buy UK kid clothes? Isn't the postage awfully high to ship those knickers over here?

If someone is really in the market for ebid UK items (or German, etc), then learn the lingo/sizes. If they do not intend to buy, then they should not look at those listings, and should not demand the listings be changed to suit them. Simple.

ebay is an example of category correct? Oh please! The same item is often listed in two categories; good way to make an extra $1 off each listing when sellers must list in both places!

Searching brings up items quickly, so why split all categories down to a splinter? If it takes 50 keystrokes to find the grey poodle postcards, we will soon be wearing wrist braces and ebid will be jammed with a million little sub sub sub categories. Why?

I vote to keep categories simple and UK the standard for a UK company!
    I don't know where you got all that from, but the original posting was a request to have the USA site showing American sizes; apparently British garments are done by age for children whereas American ones have a size number. That to me is a very logical thing to do.
    To view my listings: click here: www.loftys-stores.com

To join eBid click this link: http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/253503

OMG - be careful what you ask for!

My baby store has been moved out of 'baby stuff' and is now in 'clothes and accessories>toddlers - which it is absolutely NOT!! ( and so have the other 22 baby stores as well) - now getting no exposure in among hundreds of kids clothing stores!

How can that be justified??? ( very fed up now)
    Why not take a quick look at my Stores?

Find all kinds of books HERE

Find 'Plus Size' Clothes HERE

Find NEW tiny Baby Stuff HERE

Find 'Bits & Bobs' HERE

View FBNeNotes's Feedback (+1108)
    All-About FBNeNotes
    View FBNeNotes's Listings
    Forum Posts

I read it as... Toddlers & Infants
    not just Toddlers.

For doing listings there is a 'toddlers & Infants
    For 'Buy' category page there is Toddlers & Infants
    For 'Browse stores' there is only Toddlers ( in clothing & acc.)
    and in 'browse stores' there is 'clothing 0-12 months in 'Baby stuff', showing 23 stores, but when you click on it, it comes up empty.
    Besides - who calls babies 'infants' LOL?
    Last edited by JudesNiceThings; 2nd February 2009 at 03:22 PM.

Find 'Bits & Bobs' HERE

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JudesNiceThings View Post
    Besides - who calls babies 'infants' LOL?
    The Oxford English Dictionary for one.

1. a. A child during the earliest period of life (or still unborn); now most usually applied to a child in arms, a babe; but often extended to include any child under seven years of age

of course I do know that Astral - but would the masses who use the searches put babies, or infants, to look for babyclothes?

After all we don't (colloquially) say 'infantclothes' do we?

Find 'Bits & Bobs' HERE

View victorfrank's Feedback (+160)
    All-About victorfrank
    View victorfrank's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JudesNiceThings View Post
    OMG - be careful what you ask for!

My baby store has been moved out of 'baby stuff' and is now in 'clothes and accessories>toddlers - which it is absolutely NOT!! ( and so have the other 22 baby stores as well) - now getting no exposure in among hundreds of kids clothing stores!

How can that be justified??? ( very fed up now)
    Apart from not being fair, it does not make much sense; most people wanting baby clothes would search for baby not infants or toddlers. Infants, whatever the definition is, usually is meant to be as in an infant school +/- 5 years.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Not that it affects me either way, as I don't sell such stuff, but if you enter infant clothing into Google it seems that many do use the term. Most usually in the form Infant and Toddler Clothing.

View victorfrank's Feedback (+160)
    All-About victorfrank
    View victorfrank's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    Not that it affects me either way, as I don't sell such stuff, but if you enter infant clothing into Google it seems that many do use the term. Most usually in the form Infant and Toddler Clothing.
    You do surprise me. I guess it is another area which I am way out of date on. Worth knowing though, if you are trying to sell such items.

Quote Originally Posted by deltadelta48 View Post
    Gosh, do US moms really buy UK kid clothes? Isn't the postage awfully high to ship those knickers over here?

If someone is really in the market for ebid UK items (or German, etc), then learn the lingo/sizes. If they do not intend to buy, then they should not look at those listings, and should not demand the listings be changed to suit them. Simple.

ebay is an example of category correct? Oh please! The same item is often listed in two categories; good way to make an extra $1 off each listing when sellers must list in both places!

Searching brings up items quickly, so why split all categories down to a splinter? If it takes 50 keystrokes to find the grey poodle postcards, we will soon be wearing wrist braces and ebid will be jammed with a million little sub sub sub categories. Why?

I vote to keep categories simple and UK the standard for a UK company!
    This has nothing to do with US mom's buying UK kids clothes. Did you read this ENTIRE thread? I asked for the "US" eBid site to list in US sizes, and I did NOT demand it! Simple! How can I list children's clothing in the US site, for US, or other, buyers if there is NO category to match. Read the entire thread before posting such a one sided, rude response. As far as I'm concerned, get rid of the sizes altogether and put the size in the title.

Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher2008 View Post
    I think the simplest fix would be to categorize clothing like the shoe sizes are categorized: [UK 5 (Eu 38 US 8)].
    Simply add [Age 8-9 (US 7-8)] to the size categories already in existance. I had to search the web to find this actual conversion, but every US seller and buyer shouldn't have to search to find a conversion. There have been threads on this subject before. It is definately an improvement needed for US sellers and buyers, because the ages make no sense to us.

And we need a category added for Junior size clothing.
    I found on a site (that I cannot seem to find now for the life of me) that children in UK size Age 8-9 = US 7-8. Gazza has added to the US eBid site that US size 7-8 = UK 7-8 that I am not sure is correct. That's why there was so much confusion to begin with, because # sizes and age sizes are not equal, and age sizes do not exist in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by klj View Post
    I agree that the sizes absolutely need to make sense to buyers everywhere.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by TiasTreasures View Post
    My ONLY concern is finding a valid category for some of our auctions. I guessed wrong a couple of times and had them deleted.
    Agreed.

Thread Information