Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Americanize the US eBid site

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    There is no reason why certain words could not force a search for its companion. So if someone searches for jewellery the search engine would automatically search on jewellery OR jewelry. I don't think there are that many words that would need to be catered for.

All this talk about whether the board should be in English English or American English may be a bit of a red herring. The crux of eBid is the listings. They will still appear in the version of English that the lister uses (if they use English at all).

[tic] The default language of eBid should maybe be English English as it is of British birth. And while accommodating the US we shouldn't prostrate ourselves to their way of spelling. I use many US sites and it doesn't bother me in the slightest that they don't know how to spell English words correctly.
    Again, Yes, I can live with the spelling. Not that big of a deal. Thanks.

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View lofty100e's Feedback (+74)
    All-About lofty100e
    View lofty100e's Listings
    Forum Posts

Just a thought after writing the above...

Of the countries that eBid currently serves; which version of English is taught as a second language in those countries? English or American?
    I have no idea of the answer to that question, but they teach the American style in Bulgaria. I work in a Medical Staffing Office and not long ago we had a Bulgarian working with us, he spelt Paediatrics and Anaesthetics in the American style.

Also a few years ago I got to know a Czech lady at my gym, she was always saying about the stupid English way of having so many words the same but with different meaings: there/their.
    To view my listings: click here: www.loftys-stores.com

To join eBid click this link: http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/253503

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lofty100e View Post
    I work in a Medical Staffing Office and not long ago we had a Bulgarian working with us, he spelt Paediatrics and Anaesthetics in the American style.
    That's not bad. I couldn't even spell them the English way.

Hello.

I'm just throwing my two cents/pence into the fray regarding spelling. What's the big deal? I mean, seriously, does it really matter if there are differences in spelling between U.K. and U.S. English? Debating whether the word "cheque" should appear on the U.S. version of the site is like splitting hairs. Look at how technology is making many Anglophones illiterate with all of the new lingo and shortcuts (lol). If any U.S. user sees the word "cheque" and says "WTH is that?", they need to be slapped aside the head. Catering to silly people with an axe to grind is just wrong. Anyhow, most buyers use PayPal/Google/PPPay, not checks/cheques.

Being Canadian, I see both styles of English on a regular basis, and I don't judge one to be inherently more correct than the other. So I don't think eBid should waste time contemplating whether to tinker with the software to customize spelling based on the "norms" of where the user is located.

Then again, just the fact that I'm Canadian might make me a red herring! I feel so special here, lololol.

Americanize eBid? No thanks!! I've already seen what Americanizing did to eBay. And please don't reply to this saying that I am American-bashing. I prefer American football over "soccer" 100:1. Go Cards!

Sincerely,
    M
    ================

The biggest truths are always left unsaid.

The biggest lies are repeated endlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by marschenegger View Post

Hello.

I'm just throwing my two cents/pence into the fray regarding spelling. What's the big deal? I mean, seriously, does it really matter if there are differences in spelling between U.K. and U.S. English? Debating whether the word "cheque" should appear on the U.S. version of the site is like splitting hairs. Look at how technology is making many Anglophones illiterate with all of the new lingo and shortcuts (lol). If any U.S. user sees the word "cheque" and says "WTH is that?", they need to be slapped aside the head. Catering to silly people with an axe to grind is just wrong. Anyhow, most buyers use PayPal/Google/PPPay, not checks/cheques.

Being Canadian, I see both styles of English on a regular basis, and I don't judge one to be inherently more correct than the other. So I don't think eBid should waste time contemplating whether to tinker with the software to customize spelling based on the "norms" of where the user is located.

Then again, just the fact that I'm Canadian might make me a red herring! I feel so special here, lololol.

Americanize eBid? No thanks!! I've already seen what Americanizing did to eBay. And please don't reply to this saying that I am American-bashing. I prefer American football over "soccer" 100:1. Go Cards!

Sincerely,
    M
    As I said in two previous posts, the spelling is not a big deal. By the way, on the US eBid site, Jewelry is spelled Jewelry. So I guess the some of the spelling (maybe all) on the US site is American English already.

But the point made about checks was that we would like the option to accept checks from US banks, but not cheques from non-US banks as payment.

Go Cards!

There is no reason why certain words could not force a search for its companion. So if someone searches for jewellery the search engine would automatically search on jewellery OR jewelry. I don't think there are that many words that would need to be catered for.

The default language of eBid should maybe be English English as it is of British birth. And while accommodating the US we shouldn't prostrate ourselves to their way of spelling. I use many US sites and it doesn't bother me in the slightest that they don't know how to spell English words correctly.
    LOL. Since I read a lot of books by British authors, I am familiar with the quirks of British spelling. My daughter freaked out when I first added our jewelry on GreedBay spelling it "jewellery". Whoops, that's not how THEY spell it. No, it's not there anymore, it's here on eBid and still using the US spelling in our store category.

I don't think this is a major problem. I now know that "flatware" is called "cutlery" and apparantly people in the UK don't have serving dishes reserved for the dining room, it all goes into "Kitchenalia". I suspect most people do what I do, and use the Search box to look for things. The categories aren't really that critical. I don't search for jewelry, I search for "bracelet" or "earrings" in all categories. Works fine.

My ONLY concern is finding a valid category for some of our auctions. I guessed wrong a couple of times and had them deleted. Fortunately, both people in the forums and admin have been very responsive. Patience, everybody, we'll get it worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by TiasTreasures View Post
    My ONLY concern is finding a valid category for some of our auctions. I guessed wrong a couple of times and had them deleted. Fortunately, both people in the forums and admin have been very responsive. Patience, everybody, we'll get it worked out.
    Yes, we definately need categories in the US site that cater to our needs. Gazza has promised to make changes to the children's clothing categories to suit US sizes. That's a plus.

I really want a Junior size category in clothing, sizes not necessary. Then if you are looking for teenage girls clothing, click on the Junior category and you don't find a bunch of old lady clothes. (A teen perspective).

Another example:

Quote Originally Posted by candyk View Post
    New to this site, but already have noted the need to Americanize many of the sub categories - I wrote to one of the threads regarding Vinyl/7" Records - there is no sub category for Early Rock and Roll or Latin - although in the UK this may mean nothing - in the US - buyers of 45 RPM records are very aware of the difference between Rock and Roll (which could include everything ever produced on 45's) and early rock and roll which would be artists like Danny and the juniors - having to browse through 52,000 titles would be daunting to find the groups who pioneered rock and roll. Also as I am writing on this thread, all of the auctions running alongside are from the UK - might turn some US people off thinking this is a European site. If you want US sellers and buyers - which I think you do - changes should be made quickly to not only encourage US buyers, but to have them come back.
    More American catered categories can only lead to more US sales, and I think we all want that.

But the point made about checks was that we would like the option to accept checks from US banks, but not cheques from non-US banks as payment.

Surely you can already accept checks/cheques from your own country ( The ONLY difference between them is the spelling!)
    All you have to do is put a line on your descriptions to say 'NON-US checks not accepted'

- With respect, I don't see that as a big problem - most non-US buyers are quite aware that they can't put a non-US check/cheque through the US banking system!
    Why not take a quick look at my Stores?

Find all kinds of books HERE

Find 'Plus Size' Clothes HERE

Find NEW tiny Baby Stuff HERE

Find 'Bits & Bobs' HERE

Quote Originally Posted by JudesNiceThings View Post

Surely you can already accept checks/cheques from your own country ( The ONLY difference between them is the spelling!)
    All you have to do is put a line on your descriptions to say 'NON-US checks not accepted'

- With respect, I don't see that as a big problem - most non-US buyers are quite aware that they can't put a non-US check/cheque through the US banking system!
    Thanks for that tip. I was afraid the only way to accomplish this was to not offer your auction worldwide, which would limit your chance of a sale.

Wink UK vs US names, titles and categories

Gosh, do US moms really buy UK kid clothes? Isn't the postage awfully high to ship those knickers over here?

If someone is really in the market for ebid UK items (or German, etc), then learn the lingo/sizes. If they do not intend to buy, then they should not look at those listings, and should not demand the listings be changed to suit them. Simple.

ebay is an example of category correct? Oh please! The same item is often listed in two categories; good way to make an extra $1 off each listing when sellers must list in both places!

Searching brings up items quickly, so why split all categories down to a splinter? If it takes 50 keystrokes to find the grey poodle postcards, we will soon be wearing wrist braces and ebid will be jammed with a million little sub sub sub categories. Why?

I vote to keep categories simple and UK the standard for a UK company!

Thread Information