Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Americanize the US eBid site

Default Americanize the US eBid site

Each country should have categories to suit their needs, not just the US. One example is childrens clothing. In the US we have sizes not ages. Replace the ages with sizes, please. And what are knickers? I don't think we sell knickers in the US.

I guess someone would have to do research for each country to see what their individual needs are, but if we could get a lot of people posting here the changes we want, that would help.

And the spelling should match the country. When I saw jewelry spelled "jewellery", I thought it was a typo.

Does anyone agree with me? Please reply with your support on this subject. I think it would help retain new US sellers and buyers looking for a new home when deserting the bay.

At the very least we need a category for Junior Clothing.

Clothing & Accessories>Junior Clothing>Jeans
    Clothing & Accessories>Junior Clothing>Jeans>Size 3/4
    Clothing & Accessories>Junior Clothing>Jeans>Size 5/6
    etc. etc. etc.
    Last edited by birdwatcher2008; 25th January 2009 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher2008 View Post
    Each country should have categories to suit their needs, not just the US. One example is childrens clothing. In the US we have sizes not ages. Replace the ages with sizes, please. And what are knickers? I don't think we sell knickers in the US.

I guess someone would have to do research for each country to see what their individual needs are, but if we could get a lot of people posting here the changes we want, that would help.

And the spelling should match the country. When I saw jewelry spelled "jewellery", I thought it was a typo.

Does anyone agree with me? Please reply with your support on this subject. I think it would help retain new US sellers and buyers looking for a new home when deserting the bay.

At the very least we need a category for Junior Clothing.

Clothing & Accessories>Junior Clothing>Jeans
    Clothing & Accessories>Junior Clothing>Jeans>Size 3/4
    Clothing & Accessories>Junior Clothing>Jeans>Size 5/6
    etc. etc. etc.
    I hope you do sell knickers in USA as it could get a bit chilly

I partly agree each country should have their choice of words, like money orders / postal orders & cheques / checks.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

The sites of all countries could do with localising (s used rather than z intentionally) particularly as regards to language. I appreciate that once you do that you increase your site maintenance by a significant factor. A change that once took moments takes ages as you have to check any impact on, and translate to, every other site. eBid may not have the staffing to support that.

Localisation would also solve the problems you are having with your knickers as the category would just be renamed on the US site to panties (or whatever you call them).

Other categories may be more tricky. If one country measures children's clothing by age and another by size...How do you cross reference one to the other to allow international sales?
    Last edited by astral276; 25th January 2009 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    The sites of all countries could do with localising (s used rather than z intentionally) particularly as regards to language. I appreciate that once you do that you increase your site maintenance by a significant factor. A change that once took moments takes ages as you have to check any impact on, and translate to, every other site. eBid may not have the staffing to support that.
    Yes, being a "free" auction site, the staff and revenues might not be available.

Localisation would also solve the problems you are having with your knickers as the category would just be renamed on the US site to panties (or whatever you call them).
    I see that in the shoes category they have sizes like: UK 5 (Eu 38 US 8), so we could do: Knickers (US panties) or better yet Knicker/Underwear.

Other categories may be more tricky. If one country measures children's clothing by age and another by size...How do you cross reference one to the other to allow international sales?
    Very tricky, as I don't even know what size "ages" are comparable to, if we would categorize like the shoe sizes [UK 5 (Eu 38 US 8)]. We do have ages for infants in the US (0-3 mos., 3-6 mos., 6-9 mos., 12 mos., 18 mos., & 24 mos.), but not children. If I remeber, the children's sizes here are 2, 2T, 3, 4, 5, 6, 6X, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18. Also Huskey sizes for boys (12H, etc.) Once they reach an 18, they can usually wear and adult size for boys and a Junior size for girls (0, 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8, 9/10, 11/12, 13/14, 15/16, or Junior 0, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, etc, or Misses 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 etc. which fit differently than Juniors)

When my son was 12 yrs. old he wore a size 16. When my daughter was 8 she wore a size 10, and when she was 16 she wore a Junior 5/6, and still does 6 years later.

The sizes by ages don't mean anything here in the US and are useless to us. Most teens wear Junior sizes, and most women wear Misses sizes. Also, there are womens' sizes: 20W, 22W, 24W, etc. (for bigger ladies). Maybe someone knows how to cross reference age sizes with number sizes, but I sure don't.

I think in US they call knickers undergarments
    Don't walk in front of me..I may not follow-don't walk behind me..I may not lead-just walk beside me and be my friend.
    Albert Camus

PERSONAL RECORD SET
    27hours 30minutes without sleep

Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher2008 View Post

When my daughter was 8 she wore a size 10, and when she was 16 she wore a Junior 5/6, and still does 6 years later.
    So at the age of 22yrs your daughter is wearing clothes for a 5/6 yr old?????
    Don't walk in front of me..I may not follow-don't walk behind me..I may not lead-just walk beside me and be my friend.
    Albert Camus

PERSONAL RECORD SET
    27hours 30minutes without sleep

Quote Originally Posted by craig7501 View Post
    So at the age of 22yrs your daughter is wearing clothes for a 5/6 yr old?????
    It's a "Junior" size 5/6, like a teenager size clothing, like those skinny models you see. We don't do years above 24 months in the US. That's why the size by age doesn't make sense here. We just don't have it in our vocabulary when sizing clothing for kids. Though she could wear a t-shirt that a ten year old could wear, which would be considered a Junior small. We just need a way of knowing what an age size in the UK compares to a number size in the US.

...infants, children, junior, misses, women's, (petites, too, which my daughter could be considered).

View pearlygirl555's Feedback (+203)
    All-About pearlygirl555
    View pearlygirl555's Listings
    Forum Posts

Is it correct to say that many clothing tags these days have sizes for different countries? Some of the shoes I buy here in the US have EU sizing on them as well, so could people who list garments with multiple sizing information list all the info from the tag, not just what is relevant for their country?

I have seen some sellers here on ebid who measure the garment when laid out flat, which circumvents some of the size difficulty but may also be prohibitively time-consuming for some.

Would it not benefit the seller to use, when possible, keywords for the US and UK when listing, ie "knickers/underwear" so as to show up on as many sites as possible?
    "You're a guest of nature.....so behave!"

Quote Originally Posted by pearlygirl555 View Post
    Is it correct to say that many clothing tags these days have sizes for different countries? Some of the shoes I buy here in the US have EU sizing on them as well, so could people who list garments with multiple sizing information list all the info from the tag, not just what is relevant for their country?

I have seen some sellers here on ebid who measure the garment when laid out flat, which circumvents some of the size difficulty but may also be prohibitively time-consuming for some.

Would it not benefit the seller to use, when possible, keywords for the US and UK when listing, ie "knickers/underwear" so as to show up on as many sites as possible?
    I usuallly measure the clothing and put the measurements in the listing, but there are no categories to list Junior size clothing in, and I have to guess what age a child's size garment is.

We wouldn't even think to put knickers as a keyword for underwear, because our description of knickers are those short pants that go to your knees that little boys wore in the 1930's.

I don't know, I guess we just need some sort of comparison chart for children's clothing in ages vs. number sizes, and we need Junior size clothing categories.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

I don't profess to be an expert on such matters but I would have thought the term 'knickers' was slightly archaic even here.

Are the size subcategories even needed? Why not just 'Panties' and the size can go in the title. Ditto for all clothing.

Thread Information