My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Ortak jewellery

Default Ortak jewellery

Does anyone know anything about this firm?

All I can find out about them is that they are based in Orkney, started in 1967, and make jewellery with a Scottish theme, in silver and gold.

I have a very nice brooch in a Charles Rennie Mackintosh style, that is marked 'ORTAK Scotland' but it has no kind of hallmark that I can see, although it does look like silver.
    It is cast, as most of their things appear to be, rather than hand-fashioned.

Any help appreciated.
    Why not take a quick look at my Stores?

Find all kinds of books HERE

Find 'Plus Size' Clothes HERE

Find NEW tiny Baby Stuff HERE

Find 'Bits & Bobs' HERE

Forum Lurker
    Sheffield, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View Jencel's Feedback (+17)
    All-About Jencel
    View Jencel's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi Jude,
    Ortak is a well established firm, with,I think, a chain of stores. They've had a store in Meadowhall, (Sheffield's out of town shopping centre) for many years.

If your brooch is silver it should be hallmarked. Only items below a certain weight don't need to be hallmarked. Anything above that weight can't be sold as sterling, even if it is. I would think a company like Ortak would hallmark their silver.

If you google them, I'm sure they'll have a website, and will be able to tell you the metals they use.

Celia
    Last edited by Jencel; 11th January 2009 at 10:43 PM.
    For a growing selection of beads, threads and findings.
    My ebid Bead Shop

My All About Me

Hello Celia - I have had a look at their website, and this large brooch doesn't feature.
    As they started in 1967 I know it's not terribly 'antique' - I have emailed them with a couple of pics, and asked very politely if they would confirm it's authentic.
    It is quite heavy, and measures 2.5 x 2 inches - I think it's pewter, as they do/did use that.
    Thank you for you fast reply - I will update this thread if they get back to me!
    Jude
    Why not take a quick look at my Stores?

Find all kinds of books HERE

Find 'Plus Size' Clothes HERE

Find NEW tiny Baby Stuff HERE

Find 'Bits & Bobs' HERE

Forum Newbie
    Blairgowrie, Perthshire and Kinross, United Kingdom
    View sugar_glider's Feedback (+791)
    All-About sugar_glider
    View sugar_glider's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JudesNiceThings View Post
    Does anyone know anything about this firm?

All I can find out about them is that they are based in Orkney, started in 1967, and make jewellery with a Scottish theme, in silver and gold.

I have a very nice brooch in a Charles Rennie Mackintosh style, that is marked 'ORTAK Scotland' but it has no kind of hallmark that I can see, although it does look like silver.
    It is cast, as most of their things appear to be, rather than hand-fashioned.

Any help appreciated.
    Hi, I am new to e-bid, and just finding my feet.

a good few years ago I used to work for Ola Gorie, Ortaks main rival in Orkney at the time.
    The lady who started Ortak also used to work for Ola Gorie a long time ago too before she started by herself.
    I have never been in their workshop, but would say that like Ola Gorie, they make high quality gold and siver pieces, and their jewellery will be cast, not really hand made, but finished by hand to a very high standard.
    I would think that they make their own patterns and waxes too.
    I believe if a silver item is very light, it does not need to be sent to assay and is just stamped in the workshop.

Best regards,
    Helen

Thread Information