Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What category?

Default What category?

I have some pendants that I am unsure of what category they ought to go into.
    They are made with semi precious designer cut cabachons like bruneau jasper and ocean jasper and malachite etc wire wrapped in 14ct gold filled wire.

Should these be in fine jewellery as they are semi precious stones.?Also gold filled wire is MORE than just gold plate.

I have them under the new artisan jewellery section at the moment, but I dont think many people get to that category much as I have'nt had many hits on my things yet.
    Would it be worth moving them or should I leave them where they are?
    Also do you think my photographs are okay, are they good enough to sell the jewellery?
    Thankyou for any input or help, I want to learn from others who have more experience as this is my first try at selling online.

Or am I expecting too much regarding hits on my store as I have only been here a few days, over eager maybe?.........lol
    Last edited by pony9a; 18th December 2008 at 04:26 AM.
    Beautiful hand made wire sculpted jewellery.

wire jewellery making supplies

Forum Lurker
    View JoPhangan's Feedback (+8)
    All-About JoPhangan
    View JoPhangan's Listings
    Forum Posts

wow your stuff is gorgeous
    the photos are good maybe do an actual size ones with them dont know if it will help but im going to try and do it with mine
    i was wondering about putting my stuff in the artisan category well the stuff i havent put on yet i mean
    i love your shop banner too

oh i just thought maybe if you put one type of gemstone in artisan and a different gemstone one in fine jewellery you could see which gets the more views

good luck with it they're lovely

Forum Lurker
    View 1840clb's Feedback (+1)
    All-About 1840clb
    View 1840clb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Gold filled is NOT fine jewelry. There is a thread going on under suggestions about fine jewelry, you should read that. Anything marked gold fill, rolled gold, gold plated or heavy gold electroplated is not real gold and will cause an allergic reaction in people that is allergic to metals other that real gold.

Forum Lurker
    View JoPhangan's Feedback (+8)
    All-About JoPhangan
    View JoPhangan's Listings
    Forum Posts

14kt Gold Filled is hypo-allergenic. It does not seem to have an adverse reaction on sensitive skin, as all that touches the skin is the 14kt Gold surface

Forum Lurker
    View 1840clb's Feedback (+1)
    All-About 1840clb
    View 1840clb's Listings
    Forum Posts

I have never seen any gold filled mark hypo-allergenic. If the item is worn very much the "gold" wears off. It will also turn your finger when worn. I have 4 daughters, all allergic to the metals in costume jewelry, all must wear at least real 14kt so they will not break out. Gold fill breaks them out.

Smile

removed by poster.
    Last edited by pony9a; 18th December 2008 at 09:23 PM.

JoPhangan
    Thankyou for your encouragement, I am happy that you like my jewellery.
    The photographs are difficult and I may re-do them in bright daylight and see if that makes a difference.

1840clb
    I have just read the other debate in the suggestions about fine jewellery and I just want to say it is better I think that I just keep myself and my jewellery in the artisan section, too much nastiness flying around for my liking. I dont want to upset anyone.
    Thanks for your interest in my initial enquiry....
    Last edited by pony9a; 19th December 2008 at 06:11 AM.

View Opis's Feedback (+664)
    All-About Opis
    View Opis's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi Pony9a

The debate in the other thread is trying to solve dilemmas like this; (eg trying to get a seperate catagory for gold filled, rolled gold and plate etc). I wouldn't say it's nasty , though it is lively lol .

Any input, either from a talented craftsman like yourself, or a jewellery newbie is more than welcome to join in and to give their advise and opinions .

One of the reasons that the debate is 'lively', is that, like you, we jewellery sellers aren't getting the hits we'd like on our jewellery,( and we jewellery sellers can be a passionate little bunch yes? .)

From a buyers point of view, the fine jewellery catagory on ebid is a little confused. It seems buyers go on to fine jewellery looking for solid gold/ silver, and it's full of plated, RG/ GF or even costume jewellery. Anyone searching for GF/ plated items don't know where to look for them either. That's no good for anyone, and results in low sales for us, and a bad shopping experience for the buyers, who goes elsewhere very quickly.

I believe the type of metal and jewellery you sell needs a catagory all of its own. Like I say, your input would be really helpful

Going back to your original post, I think your photos are brilliant! In fact you can come round and take piccys of my stuff if you like lol

I like the information you've given about yourself and your beautiful craft, both in your listings and 'about me' page.

I'll tell you what would be really really good - if, say on your 'ME' page you gave loads of pictures of yourself doing your craft; the tools and wires you use, projects half done, and even maybe do a link to a video about your craft on youtube - I bet it's dead easy to film yourself working on a bracelet and upload it.

All this gives background (important for artisans to stand out) and you are building a relationship with potential buyers even before they buy. It's also getting your face and craft to a wider audience

Opis,
    Thanks so much for replying,
    I have taken on board what you said about the debate in the other thread and maybe if I feel I can add anything to help I will do that, but I am still wary of upsetting anyone...lol

I loved your ideas about the video of myself making the jewellery and putting it on the "about me" page. I am sure I can do that and maybe people might find it interesting to see how the jewellery is made. If it brings more hits/sales then that would be fantastic.
    Thankyou for the suggestion...

I think my photographs need to be improved to get a more professional look to them, I am working on that too...lol
    Where I am going to find the time to do all this beats me, hehehe

Thanks again for your input, it is very much appreciated.

Thread Information