Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Fine Jewelry should mean Fine Jewelry

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pearlygirl555 View Post

It seems from reading the earlier posts that there is no globally-accepted definition for the term "fine jewelry." There will always be a level of confusion, and it is possible to fragment the categories to the point where a buyer looks at slew of options, and goes elsewhere.
    That does sound like a real risk. For every one buyer who is pleased that they can drill down to a highly specific sub-category and just look at a dozen things that interest them, how many will have left because browsing all suitable jewellery has become too much of a chore?

I don't have the answer, I just wonder about it.

Forum Lurker
    View 1840clb's Feedback (+1)
    All-About 1840clb
    View 1840clb's Listings
    Forum Posts

You are always going to have people posting things in the wrong category but if there was a specific category then it could be reported and move, that way when someone is looking for fine jewelry that is all that pops up, not everything under the sun. I know that when I go into a jewelry store I do not see any fake, man made or plated things and I don't want to see it. I know that on the other side it works pretty good by having a separate category for Fine jewelry. The only thing allowed in that category is precious metals and mined gemstones, no plating, rolled or man made stones so that you don't have to wade through so much to fine what you are looking for. Yes I read the descriptions to find out more detail but if you have listings that say 10kt gold in the title and then to read the fine print and find out that it is plated, it makes me go to some place else where things are more likely to be what I am looking for without so much to go through to find the real stuff.

View pearlygirl555's Feedback (+203)
    All-About pearlygirl555
    View pearlygirl555's Listings
    Forum Posts

1840, you'll be a "forum lurker" soon, just a few more posts to go

It sounds like you do have a place to go "where things are more likely to be what I am looking for without so much to go through to find the real stuff" and it sounds like that place is a jewelry store. Great! And I think that buyers will establish relationships with sellers who offer whatever they are looking for, 100% gold jewelry or Citroen oil filters, once they have made a purchase or two, and the seller has proven their mettle. This is the case for online shops as well as brick-and-mortar shops, and I'm sure you will strive to provide your ebid buyers with a high quality experience.

I'm equally sure that Gazza and Mark know how the categories are laid out on the other side, and want to provide the clearest selection of categories here while retaining some ebid brand identification, and the flavour of their non-American origin. I wouldn't think they would want to simply re-create the categories that exist elsewhere. With the lack of globally-accepted jewelry definitions, would it make sense for them to stick closer to the definitions common in the UK? And offer a glossary or educational page for buyers and sellers that lines out what can be found in each category, so we know where we stand? This would allow the seller to know where to place their listing, and to report those who are incorrectly listed. The buyer would be able to quickly review the menu of categories and begin their search in what seems the most fertile ground. I would still caution against too many categories, but presumably "fine jewelry" items would command a greater price and could be listed with a subtitle to further support their purity, hallmark, grooviness, etc.
    "You're a guest of nature.....so behave!"

Forum Lurker
    All-About 1840clb
    View 1840clb's Listings
    Forum Posts

1840, you'll be a "forum lurker" soon, just a few more posts to go

It sounds like you do have a place to go "where things are more likely to be what I am looking for without so much to go through to find the real stuff" and it sounds like that place is a jewelry store. Great! And I think that buyers will establish relationships with sellers who offer whatever they are looking for, 100% gold jewelry or Citroen oil filters, once they have made a purchase or two, and the seller has proven their mettle. This is the case for online shops as well as brick-and-mortar shops, and I'm sure you will strive to provide your ebid buyers with a high quality experience.

I'm equally sure that Gazza and Mark know how the categories are laid out on the other side, and want to provide the clearest selection of categories here while retaining some ebid brand identification, and the flavour of their non-American origin. I wouldn't think they would want to simply re-create the categories that exist elsewhere. With the lack of globally-accepted jewelry definitions, would it make sense for them to stick closer to the definitions common in the UK? And offer a glossary or educational page for buyers and sellers that lines out what can be found in each category, so we know where we stand? This would allow the seller to know where to place their listing, and to report those who are incorrectly listed. The buyer would be able to quickly review the menu of categories and begin their search in what seems the most fertile ground. I would still caution against too many categories, but presumably "fine jewelry" items would command a greater price and could be listed with a subtitle to further support their purity, hallmark, grooviness, etc.
    As you can see by reading ALL of this thread that if it is left to just the way of the UK thinking the US gold is not as good as UK's. If ebid is going to open up to more that one country, that it should want to make things equal to all and not just the UK, unless of course that is why it seems that the UK way of thinking is all that matters.

All-About pearlygirl555
    Forum Posts

In reading ALL the postings on this thread I find no value judgements of one country's gold being superior to that of another country. Gold is represented on the chemical table of the elements worldwide. The language of science shares common unit measurements worldwide such as millimeter, liter, etc, but these common units are not found in the language that describes jewelry. I think ebid wants to make this site accessible to all, but you cannot fault the designers for using categories and language rooted in their culture. They are not passing a value judgement when they reckon distance by kilometer any more than we are when we reckon it in miles. Again, I believe the best categories will be those which are descriptive enough to allow users to quickly identify the components they are looking for, while being broad enough to allow sellers from any country to identify the components as suits their custom.

Forum Lurker
    All-About 1840clb
    View 1840clb's Listings
    Forum Posts

What does litters, millimeters, kilometers and such have to do with something being fine jewelry or not. Asking that the REAL stuff being separate from the not real is not that complicated to understand no matter who you are or where you are from.

All-About pearlygirl555
    Forum Posts

Back for more.....

The reason I mentioned the metric units was to point up an issue that has run consistently through this thread: there is no common language to quantify "fine jewelry" either on ebid or off of it. Scientists use the metric units to avoid these contentious discussions of what-means-what, and get on with the work at hand. Posters from the US and the UK have patiently explained the standards and definitions common to their side of the Atlantic Ocean. I believe that all are in agreement that items of finer manufacture should be classed away from those of inferior manufacture.

I looked at your listings, and you do have some beautiful items. When I wanted to look at a particular item again, I ran a search for "opal and gold ring" that would ship to the US, and was surprised that your ring did not come up. Going in through your "about me" page and reading the title of your listings, I can see that the way I describe your ring to myself as a potential buyer does not match the way you describe the ring to me as the potential seller. Prominent in your titles are terms such as "10kt" and "yg," which are things I would never search for. When someone has as much experience as you do in a given field, it is easy to forget that a buyer might not be familiar with the same terms you are. While this may point up how clueless I am about the type of jewelry you offer, it also points up that some of the words in your titles aren't working to pull in the buyers for you, regardless of what category they are in.

Which brings us back to categories, the original quarry of this sprawling hunt. While there is certainly much to be said about having accurate categories, there is also much to be said about making sure that the title of an auction conveys as much description as it can. If an item is listed in the Fine Jewelry category, to use the words "fine jewelry" in the title might not be adding much to the description. Using "10kt Yellow Gold-Opal-Diamond Ring" as the title conveys that it is fine jewelry by any standards worldwide, gives an accurate description of the item to hand, and has more words that potential buyers may be looking for. Does anyone do a search for "yg," or do they do a search for "yellow gold" instead.

As some of the earlier posts have mentioned, categories which highlight the compenents of which jewelry is made would probably be a workable solution for buyers and sellers from all the countries ebid serves. I do not believe there is a way of designing a category system which anticipates every potential piece of jewelry. And I also believe that a well-written title will do more to help a buyer find a particular item than a daunting list of categories; looking at the jewelry categories as they are now is exhausting enough.

You are always going to have people posting things in the wrong category but if there was a specific category then it could be reported and move

That was a point I was trying to make earlier - if the categories were more specific, then it would be a lot easier to get wrong items moved.
    Why not take a quick look at my Stores?

Find all kinds of books HERE

Find 'Plus Size' Clothes HERE

Find NEW tiny Baby Stuff HERE

Find 'Bits & Bobs' HERE

As you can see by reading ALL of this thread that if it is left to just the way of the UK thinking the US gold is not as good as UK's.

Absolutely NOT true!!!

I have not seen any evidence of this in the whole post - it has been very interesting to find out how US precious metal is assayed and marked.

Unfortunately, unless UK buyers come to this topic, the majority will have no idea of the US gradings, and vice versa.

This is really what people have been trying to 'thrash out' on this thread - but definitely NOT 'taking sides'!
    Why not take a quick look at my Stores?

Find all kinds of books HERE

Find 'Plus Size' Clothes HERE

Find NEW tiny Baby Stuff HERE

Find 'Bits & Bobs' HERE

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Back for more.....
    Are you familiar with the phrase "a glutton for punishment"?

...Going in through your "about me" page and reading the title of your listings, I can see that the way I describe your ring to myself as a potential buyer does not match the way you describe the ring to me as the potential seller. Prominent in your titles are terms such as "10kt" and "yg," which are things I would never search for. When someone has as much experience as you do in a given field, it is easy to forget that a buyer might not be familiar with the same terms you are. ...

I do think this is a very important point. It's foolish to expect all one's buyers to be experts - cutting out everybody who hasn't studied the subject to the same depth as oneself. In my own field I found I was starting to "spend" more valuable title-space on esoteric terms and acronyms about books, and not enough on the basics. So now I make sure the title includes as much *obvious* information about the author and subject, and whenever room allows I even put in the word "book". "Keep it Simple Stupid" applies to so much of life!

I'm a little disturbed that the main correspondent here seems to be determined to turn this into some sort of Second War of Independence! I haven't seen any evidence of "us and them" from any other posters in the thread, and I hope she'll take a step back and reassess without that preconceived notion.

Thread Information