My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Fine Jewelry should mean Fine Jewelry

I think that if an item is reported as being in the wrong category, admin withdraw it and notify the owner - not sure how they deal with persistent 'reoffences' though.
    It doesn't cause much damage to the seller really, as usually,no fees have been paid .
    Why not take a quick look at my Stores?

Find all kinds of books HERE

Find 'Plus Size' Clothes HERE

Find NEW tiny Baby Stuff HERE

Find 'Bits & Bobs' HERE

Out of curiousity, I looked for definitions of "fine jewelry" on the web:

"Jewelry made of precious metal such as gold or silver and set with precious or semi-precious stones." I found this in several places, seems a bit vague.

"However, this is neither a final definition nor an absolute one. It conveniently leaves out the finest jewelry of all time, platinum jewelry. Also, it is not always necessary that the precious metal should be set with diamonds or other stones to be able to qualify as “fine” jewelry." A comment added to the first statement on one site.

I know that 80% rhodium jewelry is also made, as an alloy with either silver or platinum. It's rarely used because rhodium costs about twice as much as platinum. I'm familiar with these metals because I am extremely allergic to all metals except sterling silver and platinum. I can't wear any jewelry containing gold if it touches my skin, so the fact that something is genuinely fine jewelry doesn't mean that I can wear it.

Another site listed these as some (but not all) of the stones used in fine jewelry: "Amber, Amethyst, Coral, Diamond, Emerald, Jade, Jasper, Pearl, Quartz, Ruby, Sapphire, Turquoise." I know that a high-quality piece of jade can cost thousands of dollars, and a low-quality piece can be almost worthless; the criteria for grading jade is unique to that stone. The same is true of turquoise, a specific piece may or may not be a gemstone.

"Looking for the definition of fine jewelry? Well, you won't find one. That is because there really is no set definition yet the term is used quite frequently." This author seems to have identified our problem, and it may explain why there is so much difficulty coming to a consensus.

"Looking for the definition of fine jewelry? Well, you won't find one. That is because there really is no set definition yet the term is used quite frequently."

Perhaps we should do away with the term altogether?

Ie: - just have 'Jewellery/jewelry>gold>xxx Jewellery/jewelry>silver>xxx
    Jewellery/jewelry>platinum>xxx etc..

Find 'Bits & Bobs' HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Opis View Post
    After going through the thread and mixing peoples suggestions how about something possibly like:

Jewellery> Gold> no stones
    Jewellery> Gold> Gemstones
    Jewellery> Gold> CZ / created stones/ other
    Jewellery> Platinum
    Jewellery> Silver> no stones
    Jewellery> silver > gemstones
    Jewellery> silver> CZ/ created/ other
    Jewellery> Gold/ silver plated
    Jewellery> fashion/ costume/ everyday

Anyone have more suggestions, additions/ deletions or other ideas to how the jewellery catagories can possibly be tidied up?
    I have been following this thread with interest.

First, regarding the Fine Jewellery category as it is now, Scrap Metal shouldn't be there! To me, fine jewellery means just that - pure, precious metals, high-end, what you would find in a jewellers. I think it makes sense as was said earlier to base it on the precious metals rather than stones because there are sooooo many.

Also to me, costume jewellery means something completely different to fashion jewellery, which is the likes of what is found in Claire's, Assessorize etc. Costume jewellery is better quality and brings vintage to mind - beautiful sparkly cut glass and crystals - strands of beads or set in goldtone or silvertone, often pot metal.

As gemstones means either precious or semi-precious, I think that needs to be clarified.

'Created' could mean different things to different people and could be misinterpreted. Why not use the proper term 'man-made' stones?

Since there is a seperate category for men's jewellery, is this category to include men's jewellery? Should there be a distinction for gender within the category of fine jewellery?

What about the subcategories of types of fine jewellery - bracelets, rings etc.? Now it's getting complicated!

Something like this makes sense to me:

Jewellery> Fine Jewellery> Precious Metals> Gold> No Stones
    Jewellery> Fine Jewellery> Precious Metals> Gold> Precious Gemstones
    Jewellery> Fine Jewellery> Precious Metals> Gold> Semi-Precious Gemstones
    Jewellery> Fine Jewellery> Precious Metals> Gold> Other Natural Stones
    Jewellery> Fine Jewellery> Precious Metals> Gold> Man-made Stones
    Jewellery> Fine Jewellery> Precious Metals> Gold> Plated, Rolled, Filled etc.
    Jewellery> Fine Jewellery> Precious Metals> Platinum
    Jewellery> Fine Jewellery> Precious Metals> Sterling Silver> No Stones
    Jewellery> Fine Jewellery> Precious Metals> Sterling Silver> Precious Gemstones
    Jewellery> Fine Jewellery> Precious Metals> Sterling Silver> Semi-Precious Gemstones
    Jewellery> Fine Jewellery> Precious Metals> Sterling Silver> Other Natural Stones
    Jewellery> Fine Jewellery> Precious Metals> Sterling Silver> Man-made Stones
    Jewellery> Fine Jewellery> Precious Metals> Sterling Silver> Plated, Rolled, Filled etc.

Jewellery> Fashion/ Everyday

I think it may help to keep junk jewellery out if a note was included at the top of the relevant Fine Jewelery categories stating the requirement for a hallmark/assay.

Just my input/ideas.
    Last edited by ElegantScraps; 30th December 2008 at 11:38 AM.

Agreed - Good list, and good footnote re.hallmarks/asay.

But what would happen with the US & hallmarks though?

Find 'Bits & Bobs' HERE

Quote Originally Posted by JudesNiceThings View Post
    Agreed - Good list, and good footnote re.hallmarks/asay.

But what would happen with the US & hallmarks though?
    They have a stamp if genuine, a stamp of purity - same idea as a hallmark.

The footnote could read something like:

Genuine hallmark/assay/stamp of purity required on all jewellery listed in this section.

That should work for all countries.

Thanks, glad you like the list. It has to be universal - to work in all countries, simple but precise, almost regimented so it is easy to follow and find for any kind of person from anywhere - for both buyers and sellers.

What does everybody else think though? Additions, subtractions...changes?

I did not mean to jump in and take over, I do not want the job! These are just my suggestions.

Talking

Oh...oh...I was just thinking , wouldn't it just be deluxe if they optioned a link with the note to an info page about the purity stamps and what they mean?

I had another idea...

In addition to having a note on the main 'Fine Jewellery' section, such as (but not limited to) - 'Genuine hallmark/assay/stamp of purity required on all jewellery listed in this section.' - have it also as a popup when sellers choose that category to list in. That could be a problem for bulk listers though, couldn't it?

Anyway, I just thought it might be a way to 'tighten up' the section since it is a problem and has the potential for becoming downright abused as this place grows.

Right, I need to go clean my house now, little one trashed it.

Quote Originally Posted by ElegantScraps View Post

Also to me, costume jewellery means something completely different to fashion jewellery, which is the likes of what is found in Claire's, Assessorize etc. Costume jewellery is better quality and brings vintage to mind - beautiful sparkly cut glass and crystals - strands of beads or set in goldtone or silvertone, often pot metal.

Jewellery> Fine Jewellery> Precious Metals> Gold> No Stones
    Jewellery> Fine Jewellery> Precious Metals> Gold> Precious Gemstones
    Jewellery> Fine Jewellery> Precious Metals> Gold> Semi-Precious Gemstones
    Jewellery> Fine Jewellery> Precious Metals> Gold> Other Natural Stones
    Jewellery> Fine Jewellery> Precious Metals> Gold> Man-made Stones
    Jewellery> Fine Jewellery> Precious Metals> Gold> Plated, Rolled, Filled etc.
    Jewellery> Fine Jewellery> Precious Metals> Platinum
    Jewellery> Fine Jewellery> Precious Metals> Sterling Silver> No Stones
    Jewellery> Fine Jewellery> Precious Metals> Sterling Silver> Precious Gemstones
    Jewellery> Fine Jewellery> Precious Metals> Sterling Silver> Semi-Precious Gemstones
    Jewellery> Fine Jewellery> Precious Metals> Sterling Silver> Other Natural Stones
    Jewellery> Fine Jewellery> Precious Metals> Sterling Silver> Man-made Stones
    Jewellery> Fine Jewellery> Precious Metals> Sterling Silver> Plated, Rolled, Filled etc.

Jewellery> Fashion/ Everyday
    Quote Originally Posted by Opis
    Fashion & Costume jewellery
    Jewellery> Gemstone & pearls beaded jewellery >
    Jewellery> fashion/ costume/ everyday
    etc etc
    Where would a seller put the goodies like necklaces made of real pearls or beads of semi-precious stones (coral, turquoise, jade, etc.)? If you go only by the metal, these will get pushed into the Fashion/Costume/Everyday categories. Am I mistaken, they are not Fine Jewelry?

Forum Newbie
    View peddlerjo's Feedback (+1114)
    All-About peddlerjo
    View peddlerjo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Have several pieces of Christmas costume jewelry and don't know where to list this jewelry. any ideas? let me know. Thank you peddlerjo

Quote Originally Posted by TiasTreasures View Post
    Where would a seller put the goodies like necklaces made of real pearls or beads of semi-precious stones (coral, turquoise, jade, etc.)? If you go only by the metal, these will get pushed into the Fashion/Costume/Everyday categories. Am I mistaken, they are not Fine Jewelry?
    I would vote no on them being placed in with Fashion/Everyday or Costume, they should be classed higher. Don't they usually have a metal clasp, wire etc.? If so, I would guess they would usually be stamped and could go into one of these categories. But then, I am only a consumer, no expert.

Or,

Jewellery> Fine Jewellery> Pearls & Gemstone Beads

Thread Information