Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Fine Jewelry should mean Fine Jewelry

That is a comfort:-)

(I've found this discussion extremely interesting - C & P'd it for future reference)
    Why not take a quick look at my Stores?

Find all kinds of books HERE

Find 'Plus Size' Clothes HERE

Find NEW tiny Baby Stuff HERE

Find 'Bits & Bobs' HERE

View Opis's Feedback (+664)
    All-About Opis
    View Opis's Listings
    Forum Posts

It almost sounds like you are trying to say UK gold is better that US gold,
    Hi 1840clb

This was not my intention. I'm in no position to say 'who's gold is best' etc, nor is it an argument I care about.

I was just trying to point out the way in which things are worded and done in the UK as far as I'm aware (in answer to some earlier posters questions) especially as the USA way and UK/ European way is so different. If I've upset or offended you or anyone else I genuinely didn't mean to.

The info you gave in your last post was very interesting 1840clb, regarding how gold is monitered in the USA.

I'd love to ask you more questions on this, because, (as I said in my last post) I'm fascinated by hallmarking/ stamps etc outside the UK. Thanks for sharing

However, I have already taken the thread waaay off topic by my babbling on about hallmarks in the first place. Sorry about that everyone !

So I'll go back on topic (and try to stay on it this time) - we were talking about catagories I think? After going through the thread and mixing peoples suggestions how about something possibly like:

Jewellery> Gold> no stones
    Jewellery> Gold> Gemstones
    Jewellery> Gold> CZ / created stones/ other
    Jewellery> Platinum
    Jewellery> Silver> no stones
    Jewellery> silver > gemstones
    Jewellery> silver> CZ/ created/ other
    Jewellery> Gold/ silver plated
    Jewellery> fashion/ costume/ everyday

Anyone have more suggestions, additions/ deletions or other ideas to how the jewellery catagories can possibly be tidied up?

Quote Originally Posted by Opis View Post
    else I genuinely didn't mean to.

After going through the thread and mixing peoples suggestions how about something possibly like:

Jewellery> Gold> no stones
    Jewellery> Gold> Gemstones
    Jewellery> Gold> CZ / created stones/ other
    Jewellery> Platinum
    Jewellery> Silver> no stones
    Jewellery> silver > gemstones
    Jewellery> silver> CZ/ created/ other
    Jewellery> Gold/ silver plated

Anyone have more suggestions, additions/ deletions or other ideas to how the jewellery catagories can possibly be tidied up?
    It's probably obvious to anyone reading my posts that I don't know much about fine jewelry. That said, these categories make sense to me and I would know exactly what to expect if I were considering buying an item. I think the category "Gold plated or Silver Plated" would provide a place for the higher-quality jewelry that doesn't belong in "Fine Jewelry", without forcing them into the "Fashion/Costume/Everyday" category.

I wonder if two other categories would be useful:

I've seen some old jewelry that is now quite expensive, although they were costume jewelry when first made, such as Bakelite and Art Deco brooches. If they were in the "Fashion/Costume/Everyday" category, I think collectors would have trouble finding them. How about "Jewellery> Vintage"?

And somehow find a way to list real pearls, coral, turquoise, other beads made of semi-precious stones (as opposed to rhinestones, glass beads, etc.). Or do these all truly belong in "Fashion/Costume/Everyday"?

All-About Opis
    View Opis's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hiya Tia, your input and perspective is as valuable as anyone elses; ie if some one doesn't buy 'fine' jewellery that often it's vital that's it made as easy as possible to access what exactly you want. Keep those ideas and suggestions coming!!

Btw there is a section for vintage jewellery already; it has a catagory of its own/ is not with fine jewellery

Semi precious beaded jewellery catagory is an excellent idea - I've some of these and struggle to find where to list them.

So possibly as an idea:

Fine Jewellery
    Jewellery> Gold> no stones> necklaces etc etc
    Jewellery> Gold> Gemstones> etc
    Jewellery> Gold> CZ / created stones/ other> etc
    Jewellery> Platinum> etc etc
    Jewellery> Silver> no stones> etc
    Jewellery> silver > gemstones> etc
    Jewellery> silver> CZ/ created/ other > etc
    Jewellery> Engagement & wedding rings > etc
    Jewellery> Gemstone & pearls beaded jewellery >etc

Fashion & Costume jewellery
    Jewellery> Gold & silver plated/ rolled gold and filled
    etc etc

You know when you're looking for any jewellery, what do you look for when typing in keywords or browsing?

Gold/ silver or the just gemstone? Do you think " I want a Ruby ring", or do you think "I want a gold ruby ring"? What do you type?

Do you think/ type paste glass necklace, or glam sparkling evening necklace or whatever? I'm just throwing ideas around my head as to how to make buying jewellery as easy as possible to buyers.

Forum Lurker
    View 1840clb's Feedback (+1)
    All-About 1840clb
    View 1840clb's Listings
    Forum Posts

When I am looking for jewelry on other sites I type in gold jewelry, all true gold and true gemstones come up and that is what I want. I also type in fine gold jewelry and the same comes up, without any gold plating, gold filled, heavy gold electroplated, just real gold.

Quote Originally Posted by 1840clb View Post
    When I am looking for jewelry on other sites I type in gold jewelry, all true gold and true gemstones come up and that is what I want. I also type in fine gold jewelry and the same comes up, without any gold plating, gold filled, heavy gold electroplated, just real gold.
    Really? Havent searched on FEEEbay lately, have you?

This sounded too , way too generic to me.. went to FeeBay and typed in "gold jewelry" exactly as you claimed, and I get a full page of stuff- there's scales, there's "fashion" jewelry, cheap gold stuff which I don't even believe is really "real gold" as you define it.. (despite the listings claiming "18Kt Gold" for example- I have a real 18K gold chain that some of these listings look like, and there is NO WAY they can possibly be selling for 24 bucks! I got my chain back in the 80's and purchased from a fine jeweler's , cost over $280.. and you can TELL it's the real thing by its weight.. )

I seriously doubt that ebid is the only place with this problem. You'll find this same situation true everywhere else you go.

I have to agree with the more reasonable posts from before- Tias and Opis, namely - with solid reasonable category suggestions, I think this would go a long way to helping clear up the clutter, and ongoing "report this auction" activity from everyone doing their part to keep it clean , we can weed out the lazy sellers that just throw everything into the same category without regard whether it belongs there or not.

I've found this thread quite informative , and definitely valuable input on how to grade and understand hallmarks/grading, etc..

However, I do feel that it's rather derogatory to be claiming, in essence, "every where else I go I type 'gold jewelry' and get what I look for, but here, all I see is crap" which , at least as far as PheeBay goes, simply isn't true. - Sounds more like a statement trying to make Ebid look bad, than to try and bring any constructive, useful change to the site..

I'm sure it was not meant that way, but it sure "reads" that way..
    Many changes yet again, started a new venture, and you can watch my store grow here: Really Rural Woodworks

I type in gold jewelry, all true gold and true gemstones come up and that is what I want

Depends what site you use, I suppose! (NOT feebay now! - it's also full of miscategorised items and they don't seem to care)

I think opis's categories are fairly comprehensive, and a very good basis for searches - ie ambiguity removed, so people deliberately listing in the wrong cats can be stopped.

I do hope Gazza is watching this thread!
    Why not take a quick look at my Stores?

Find all kinds of books HERE

Find 'Plus Size' Clothes HERE

Find NEW tiny Baby Stuff HERE

Find 'Bits & Bobs' HERE

All-About Opis
    View Opis's Listings
    Forum Posts

ongoing "report this auction" activity from everyone doing their part to keep it clean , we can weed out the lazy sellers that just throw everything into the same category without regard whether it belongs there or not.
    I have to admit that I've never done this (on any auction site I've used) . Prehaps I should? How would I go about doing it on here?

What would happen to the seller? We all have to make a living and feed families - I wouldn't want anyone to lose money or listings etc through genuine mistakes; we all make them, especially when bulk listing. Is there a system where a seller can rectify mistakes (eg wrong catagory) without punishment on ebid, say like a polite PM from admin before any serious action is taken?

And hopefully there will be a correct catagory (ie GF/ RG/ plated) by then for anyone who's listed in fine gold lol !!!

I'm not even sure what happens when a mis categorized listing is reported, beyond ebid's stated policy - but it seems to me they would have a little internal database that keeps track of mis categorized items over time by a seller, and I'd say 3 incorrect listings in any 30 day period, and seller would be suspended for 30 days, second offense, 9o days, 3rd offense, permanently (plenty of chances to learn from mistake there, agreed?)
    Many changes yet again, started a new venture, and you can watch my store grow here: Really Rural Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by Opis View Post
    So possibly as an idea:

Fine Jewellery
    Jewellery> Gold> no stones> necklaces etc etc
    Jewellery> Gold> Gemstones> etc
    Jewellery> Gold> CZ / created stones/ other> etc
    Jewellery> Platinum> etc etc
    Jewellery> Silver> no stones> etc
    Jewellery> silver > gemstones> etc
    Jewellery> silver> CZ/ created/ other > etc
    Jewellery> Engagement & wedding rings > etc
    Jewellery> Gemstone & pearls beaded jewellery >etc

Fashion & Costume jewellery
    Jewellery> Gold & silver plated/ rolled gold and filled
    etc etc

I like your list. It makes sense and would certainly make it easier for me as a buyer. Especially the middle ground with "Gold and Silver Plated", which is where (I suspect) a lot of the confusion lies.

This also gives the sellers clear guidelines, so there would be no guessing when listing something.

Thread Information