Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Fine Jewelry should mean Fine Jewelry

Forum Lurker
    View 1840clb's Feedback (+1)
    All-About 1840clb
    View 1840clb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Idealproductsales View Post
    Sort of, yes- You've sort of made my point also - Thing is, Very often buyers arent so technically inclined as to know what to look for in fine jewelry - I would have to agree that more generic categories would be better - much more clear , for example:

Jewelry-> High End, Fine Gold & Silver, Rare Gems
    Jewelry -> Gold,Silver,Cubic Zirconia
    Jewelry -> Pewter,Plated,Beads
    Jewelry-> HandMade
    Jewelry -> Everyday Wear, Costume,Imitation

That's just what I as a buyer might look for, as an example - "Fine Jewelry" and "Costume Jewelry" mean absolutely nothing to me...

Now as for the OP - I would imagine that the auctions that do not belong in that category were reported? if not, why? You cannot expect the powers that be to police every single auction that gets listed. Not even at FeePay. Here's an ancedote to illustrate my point:

I was selling Adult items/Mature Audiences products over there. From time to time I would go check out competition and do some searches. I found items that were blatantly adult/mature audiences that were listed in categories that were decidedly NOT adult - this circumvented FeePay's restrictions on this type of item, the descriptions were careful to leave out the "over 18" nature of the items, and were being offered with paypal payment option.. In short, the seller was breaking a number of rules, However, on investigating, I noted that this seller had been selling this stuff for quite some time by the same methods.

Well, I reported the auctions - every one of em that were in wrong category.

Got a form letter from the other side, saying, in a nutshell "Thank you for reporting this item, we will look into it, We rely solely on the active participation of members like yourself to make sure auctions are listed in proper categories. "

In other words, with over a million and a half listings (or even 30 million like the other side) how can anyone possibly, humanly expect *anyone* to police each and every listing?

In order to clean up a category like this, it is very necessary for the person or persons that believe the items are mis categorized to REPORT THEM! Otherwise they will just sit there until someone does.

So to the O.P. if you have not reported these mis-categorized items, do so as soon as possible. If you are a seller that specializes in one particular category, take it upon yourself to keep your category clean - find something that doesnt fit the category, report it.. get your category cleaned up, it benefits everyone.

Sellers that post hundreds of crap items in wrong categories as mentioned, RELY on the fact that people are inherently lazy! they depend on the fact that someone is going to say "There's SO many, I cant possibly report all of them, I'm sure someone else has, so why should I be bothered!?, I'll just go whine about it on the forums"

for what we're all paying in listing fees, I do not see how any of us can POSSIBLY by any stretch of the imagination, expect the Ebid crew to police every category for us!? - Get active and clean up your categories by reporting auctions that don't belong.. Make it known to those sellers that like to dump crap into these categories hoping for exposure that it is no longer tolerated. If you report enough, and a lot of them are all by same seller, then perhaps that seller will be put under review or have account closed and ALL auctions removed - so report just 2 or 3 auctions and you can clean out a 100-200 junk listings , for example..

In short- If you think the category you are listing in is full of junk, mis-categorized items, get busy and report them- clean up your own categories, for yourself and for everyone else. It is the only way you're gonna get results. Works this way on FeePay too - they don't police every listing themselves, they rely on members to report mis-categorized or otherwise in violation of the rules, auctions.

Don't be lazy - get busy and start hitting that report auction button. if you don't do it, don't expect anyone else to do it for you, and don't assume that someone else already has. The more reports they get on a single listing, the more likely they will be to take action faster.
    Don't tell me I am here whining about something that I can take care of myself, I have reported things but nothing gets done about them. So besides reporting them you tell me what I can do but don't call me a whiner. And I am Not lazy, you don't know nothing about me. This is why I waited so long to say something, self rightous people calling other people names when they know nothing about me. You come walk in my shoes 1 day and then see if you can say that.
    Last edited by 1840clb; 15th December 2008 at 02:08 PM.

Agree with Madelaine - 'Costume jewellery' means (to most people in the UK) any jewellery that is not made of precious metal or has precious stones.

That's why I suggested the simple basic sequence above - then NOBODY would have to interpret anything, and if people listed in those categories wrongly, they'd be easy to winkle out!
    Why not take a quick look at my Stores?

Find all kinds of books HERE

Find 'Plus Size' Clothes HERE

Find NEW tiny Baby Stuff HERE

Find 'Bits & Bobs' HERE

Forum Lurker
    All-About 1840clb
    View 1840clb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JudesNiceThings View Post
    Agree with Madelaine - 'Costume jewellery' means (to most people in the UK) any jewellery that is not made of precious metal or has precious stones.

That's why I suggested the simple basic sequence above - then NOBODY would have to interpret anything, and if people listed in those categories wrongly, they'd be easy to winkle out!
    That has always been my understanding . I have spents hours reporting and nothing is being done. It seems that most think that cz's and gold plating is fine jewelry but is is not. I came to the forums to get help not be called names. Ebid says it is a nicer place to be, but I can be called name over on the other side so why should I try to make this place better and get called names. Looks Like I am wasting my time here.

Quote Originally Posted by madelaine View Post
    It would seem that the term Costume Jewellery means little in the US just to make things symmetrical!

In UK, anything not made from precious metals is costume jewellery - nothing to do with fancy dress!
    Actually means a great deal in the U.S. . Fine Jewelry is always separate from Costume Jewelry. It is a distinction determined by quality. As a rule silver is always kept in the Costume Jewelry section of a good department store and independent jewelers rarely ever stock silver items.
    We wont go into plated items at all....since it is obviously Costume Jewelry.

" Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't. "
    Ben Franklin

http://us.ebid.net/stores/JerseyDevi...-and-Militaria

http://us.ebid.net/stores/JerseyDevil-COMICS

http://us.ebid.net/stores/JerseyDevi...CTCs-and-Games

I'm absolutely not an expert on jewelry, so my perspective is that of a U.S. buyer.

To me, "Fine Jewelry" means genuine stones and not plated. It can be 14K gold, Sterling Silver, or Platinum. The stone may be a diamond, emerald, sapphire, etc., or a semi-precious one like Turquoise, Garnet, or Amber.

"Costume Jewery" includes anything that has plated metal, and non-genuine stones, including Cubic Zirconas, Rhinestones (even those lovely Austrian ones), any other man-made or imitation stones (no matter how well made).

I also think there is a grey area. A friend has an inherited 14K gold ring with a tiger-eye stone. This stone isn't particularly valuable, but it was beautifully cut and polished, and it is a genuine natural stone. Her guess is that it was specially made because her aunt loved tiger-eyes. She isn't going to sell it, but if she did, which category would it belong in?

Quote Originally Posted by 1840clb View Post
    Don't tell me I am here whining about something that I can take care of myself, I have reported things but nothing gets done about them. So besides reporting them you tell me what I can do but don't call me a whiner. And I am Not lazy, you don't know nothing about me. This is why I waited so long to say something, self rightous people calling other people names when they know nothing about me. You come walk in my shoes 1 day and then see if you can say that.
    My post was not directed at you specifically. Interestingly enough, on re-reading it, it appears that a whole paragraph that I had written was truncated out of it, so I can see why you would have thought otherwise.
    It was meant to be in general terms... I had written a paragraph directed at "as a general rule" but that section somehow was truncated

I also pointed out that The Crew are quite busy at ebid. listings (and the users) will get removed, given enough time... evidently that, as well went missing, and I didn't notice.

My own experience with Ebid has been very positive, and I believe the two or three auctions Ive reported have been removed or buyer gotten suspended anywhere between 3 to 10 days after I reported them... so I would generally expect to give them a couple weeks to get listings removed , at most..
    Last edited by Idealproductsales; 16th December 2008 at 06:13 AM.
    Many changes yet again, started a new venture, and you can watch my store grow here: Really Rural Woodworks

1840clb - You are not 'whining' at all!

I agree with what you say.

What I mean about the basic categories I put above is:- If they are kept VERY simple - then there is no excuse for people to list plated or base metal items under those categories.
    If they still do, then they can be removed without debate,

If the categories are subdivided into stones ( eg, precious, semi-precious, manufactured, etc) then that opens up a whole new ball game, with a lot of scope for misinterpretation, so we would be back where we started?

Please don't think you are being somehow 'got at' - we like to debate these things thoroughly, so that the 'finished article' works well when admin put it in place!
    Why not take a quick look at my Stores?

Find all kinds of books HERE

Find 'Plus Size' Clothes HERE

Find NEW tiny Baby Stuff HERE

Find 'Bits & Bobs' HERE

Quote Originally Posted by JudesNiceThings View Post
    1840clb
    Please don't think you are being somehow 'got at' - we like to debate these things thoroughly, so that the 'finished article' works well when admin put it in place!
    Good point. The thread discussing the addition of "Unused" to "New" and "Used" ran over a month and had three pages of posts. Some people wanted even more options and it was debated a lot! We finally came to a consensus and admin added it in late October.

I think these discussions are a good way to iron out potential difficulties, rather than having things changed without enough thought going into it. I suspect Gazza has already taken a peek at this thread and is waiting for more suggestions from the sellers who know about the products in question.

Forum Lurker
    All-About 1840clb
    View 1840clb's Listings
    Forum Posts

I don't have a problem discussing things, that is how things get worked out. I do have a problem with self righteous people call others names when they don't know anything about them. Name calling never solves anything and is a very good ex sample of their IQ. These boards are suppose to be for people to get help and advice not to try and belittle people to make one self feel important. It is people like that that gives forums a bad name and makes people stay away. I think Fine Jewelry should be defined as solid gold and real mined gemstones, that is how B@M jewelry stores defines it. Gold plating and fake gem stones should not have a place in fine jewelry. Right now about 75% of the things listed in fine jewelry is fake, it makes you not want to have to wade through all of it to fined the good stuff. A lot of the titles make you think that it is real, then in the fine print in the description you find out it is fake. Some people are allergic to anything other that real solid gold, I have 4 daughters that are, and to be mislead thinking that you are getting one thing and end up with something else is fraud. I know some don't care but I do. It is not the occasional mistake, it is the blatant mis use of the category with hundreds of listing in the wrong category. You can't report all them, and besides I don't think the reports are even getting through because there is not any acknowledgment that it was received, nothing. I just think that Fine Jewelry should be black or white, then there is no guess work.

Quote Originally Posted by 1840clb View Post
    When I type in fine jewelry I get a page that says there is none listed, something needs to be done to fix the problem with the way that fine jewelry is shown because it is getting mixed in with everything, when it should be coming up under fine jewelry.
    Perhaps I've uncovered part of the problem.

I went into the Buy tab, down to Jewelry & Watches, then selected Fine Jewellery (note the spelling is different in the UK, and this site is headquartered there). With the single exception of one Cubic Zirconia in a sterling silver ring, the first page is full of what look like very nice items that I think qualify as fine jewelry. The second page has a few more CZ in Sterling and a tungsten bracelet that (in my opinion at least) is dubious, the rest are again genuine gemstones, mostly in gold settings. I didn't look any more, I was just satisfying my curiousity.

The search box brings up what is listed in the title of the listings. So far, it appears you're the only seller including that specific term in the title, so when I enter "Fine Jewelry", only your listings come up.

It does appear this area could use more rigid definitions. Perhaps if it were discussed some more, clear guidelines could be defined that would help admin out. We may again be running into differences between the UK and the US. I've had a little trouble with some of our listings where the UK term is different from the one commonly used in the States.

Thread Information