My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Fine Jewelry should mean Fine Jewelry

[quote=pearlygirl555;909599]The two questions I have are.....

I was unclear as to whether the gold filled jewelry that Pony mentioned was filled with 9kt or better, as I am unfamiliar with this process. Can anyone help me understand this better?

Pearlygirl
    I can tell you what gold filled is:
    Gold filled is either 12ct or 14ct solid gold that is bonded to jewellers metal (brass/copper) using heat and pressure and then either pulled through a draw plate to form wire or put through a rolling mill to make sheets.
    Thus you can purchase either 12 ct gold filled or 14ct gold filled. As far as I am aware those are the only cts it is available in. The gold MUST make up at least 1/20th of the weight of the metal for it to qualify as gold filled. With that in mind you can see that gold filled would have a substantial thickness of gold and that is why it is so much more hardwearing than gold plate that is only microns in thickness. Gold filled is only made in the USA now although I have heard that a mill in Germany makes/made it, I have never come across it anywhere else except the USA.
    Why it is called gold "FILLED" beats me because it is not a filling of gold at all... but a bonding together of gold and metal.
    Last edited by pony9a; 19th January 2009 at 03:05 AM.
    Beautiful hand made wire sculpted jewellery.

wire jewellery making supplies

View pearlygirl555's Feedback (+203)
    All-About pearlygirl555
    View pearlygirl555's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi Pony!
    Thanks for taking the time to clarify that for me. I then take it that people would be comfortable with gold fill being in the Fashion Jewelry section?
    "You're a guest of nature.....so behave!"

You are most welcome Pearlygirl
    Beautiful hand made wire sculpted jewellery.

wire jewellery making supplies

Forum Lurker
    View 1840clb's Feedback (+1)
    All-About 1840clb
    View 1840clb's Listings
    Forum Posts

I don't see a problem with goll filled, meaning that it is gold filled with another metal, being in fashion jewelry, because it is a higher quality than costume jewelry.

Forum Lurker
    All-About 1840clb
    View 1840clb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TiasTreasures View Post
    Somewhere in this sprawling thread, I think these have now been agreed upon:

Fine Jewellery -
    Metal (if any): Must be only 9Kt or finer gold, sterling silver, or platinum.
    Stones (if any): Must be genuine, cut or cabbed gemstones. This which would include high-quality semi-precious stones, most of which are already listed in the subcategories in eBid.

Fashion Jewellery - should have subcategories corresponding to the ones in Fine Jewellery -
    Metal (if any): Gold plated, gold rolled, gold filled, silver plated. Also the metals listed in Fine Jewellery if the stone doesn't qualify.
    Stones (if any): Manmade gemstones (such as CZ's), tumbled gemstones, artificially colored gemstones, any stones listed in Fine Jewellery if the metal doesn't qualify.

Costume Jewellery - anything not meeting the standards above
    Rhinestones, any other metals, imitation pearls, Avon jewellery, would be here.

There already are categories for Antique & Vintage and Artisan Jewellery, with quite a few subcategories. I've seen requests for specific subcategories in the forums for these. They seem to have different criteria, so it might be better not to force them to be listed with the new jewellery.

It would also be nice if a rule could be enforced that the items in Fine Jewellery and Fashion Jewellery be required to describe the metal so buyers don't have to guess, and to be sure the item is actually in the correct category.
    I thinks these guidelines would be a big improvement to the Fine jewelry caegory. What do ya'll think? Do you think it is possible?

Quote Originally Posted by pearlygirl555 View Post
    Hi Pony!
    Thanks for taking the time to clarify that for me. I then take it that people would be comfortable with gold fill being in the Fashion Jewellery section?
    I guess it would be OK in Fashion Jewellery though I do believe Gold Filled is higher quality jewellery than fashion jewellery. I see fashion jewellery as the jewellery you buy in New Look type high street shops - all plated stuff.

However Gold filled is Not ALL gold, its not even equivalent to sterling silver in terms of the amount of gold in it. But it is more expensive to buy than sterling silver. I work with both Sterling silver and Gold filled wire and there is normally a price difference of approximately 10£ per ounce between the two wires, gold filled being the more expensive.

I don't think there is an easy answer on how to classify Gold Filled. Its definitely not 100% Gold (any Ct) so does not belong in Fine Jewellery but I think that is definitely a higher quality material than used in fashion jewellery. But if there is no other way then it should be in fashion jewellery and not fine jewellery.

If I list any gold filled items here I would put them under Artisan because my Gold filled jewellery is hand crafted but I don't think that really answers the question on category classifications. sorry
    Shalini

Handcrafted Jewellery, Rough Rocks, Tumblestones and Beads.....

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Jewellery-By-Shalini
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Rough-Rocks-and-Tumble-Stones
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Beads-and-Findings

My Facebook Page : Do join and add your ebid store links as well!

My Twitter link: http://twitter.com/jewellerybyshal

I see fashion jewellery as the jewellery you buy in New Look type high street shops - all plated stuff.

No - not really - that is only costume jewellery.

Gold filled would not come under 'fine jewellery' - it should ( rightly, I feel) be in with rolled gold and gold plated items, as it's not assayable.
    Why not take a quick look at my Stores?

Find all kinds of books HERE

Find 'Plus Size' Clothes HERE

Find NEW tiny Baby Stuff HERE

Find 'Bits & Bobs' HERE

Quote Originally Posted by JudesNiceThings View Post
    I see fashion jewellery as the jewellery you buy in New Look type high street shops - all plated stuff.

No - not really - that is only costume jewellery.
    Fair Enough. Maybe I am not making a distinction between Fashion and Costume, which I should really because you are right there is a difference. But I believe, and this is only my opinion, that Gold Filled is better quality than average fashion jewellery.

Unfortunately a lot of things sold as 'fashion jewellery' are really costume jewellery but come on a card saying fashion jewellery and many people don't know the difference.

Gold filled would not come under 'fine jewellery' - it should ( rightly, I feel) be in with rolled gold and gold plated items, as it's not assayable.
    If we can have a Category for Gold Filled that would be great.

I do believe there is a difference between gold filled and gold plated, But it can all go under one category if that is the general consensus.
    Shalini

Handcrafted Jewellery, Rough Rocks, Tumblestones and Beads.....

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Jewellery-By-Shalini
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Rough-Rocks-and-Tumble-Stones
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Beads-and-Findings

My Facebook Page : Do join and add your ebid store links as well!

My Twitter link: http://twitter.com/jewellerybyshal

come on a card saying fashion jewellery and many people don't know the difference.

I couldn't agree more! :-)
    Why not take a quick look at my Stores?

Find all kinds of books HERE

Find 'Plus Size' Clothes HERE

Find NEW tiny Baby Stuff HERE

Find 'Bits & Bobs' HERE

Forum Lurker
    All-About 1840clb
    View 1840clb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Do 3 categories FINE JEWELRY- JEWELRY- FASHION JEWELRY. Put rolled gold and filled gold in the jewelry category and the rest that don't fall into the first 2 in the costume jewelry. By doing that at least the jewelry category would be for a better quality of jewelry but would not be in with the hallmarked good stuff. There has to be a way to seperate things up instead of everything being all together.

Thread Information