Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Fine Jewelry should mean Fine Jewelry

Quote Originally Posted by 1840clb View Post
    Pearls are considered a gemstone and would be in the fine jewelry category if they are set in metal, the metal must be a precious metal and from my experience with them a strand of pearls that would be considered fine, are all hand knotted. A cultured pearl is still a pearl that started from an irritant in the host it is not made in a lab, therefore it is not considered man made.
    Thank you. My pearl necklace is hand-knotted, and the clasp is 14KT white gold, so it appears they qualify. They broke once and I had to have them restrung. That's when I realized why they were individually knotted. I only had to find one pearl, not 16 inches of them rolling around on the floor . . .

Forum Lurker
    View 1840clb's Feedback (+1)
    All-About 1840clb
    View 1840clb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TiasTreasures View Post
    Thank you. My pearl necklace is hand-knotted, and the clasp is 14KT white gold, so it appears they qualify. They broke once and I had to have them restrung. That's when I realized why they were individually knotted. I only had to find one pearl, not 16 inches of them rolling around on the floor . . .
    Another reason for the hand knotting is to protect the outside of the pearls, if they were not knotted between them they would rub against each other and wear down each other and loose their luster. The reason behind the saying { Last things on, first things off } when wearing pearls because makeup and perfumes will ruin their luster also.

Forum Lurker
    All-About 1840clb
    View 1840clb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Your natural body oil helps them to keep their luster so in a sense that would be right, because the alcohol in body sprays will ruin their luster also by drying them out, that is why you want to put it on first and give it time to evaporate before putting the pearls on.

Forum Lurker
    All-About 1840clb
    View 1840clb's Listings
    Forum Posts

There has to be a way to seperate the real precious metals and gemstones from the ones that are not. When you go into a B and M store you don't find everything all thrown in together, it is seperated and should be.

View pearlygirl555's Feedback (+203)
    All-About pearlygirl555
    View pearlygirl555's Listings
    Forum Posts

There has to be a way to seperate the real precious metals and gemstones from the ones that are not. When you go into a B and M store you don't find everything all thrown in together, it is seperated and should be.
    These are some guidelines laid out by Tia in her post #126.......

"If a "Fashion Jewellery" category were added, it should probably use the same sub-categories as "Fine Jewellery".

Tilt! Then I found these subcategories in Costume Jewellery:
    Rings/Bands/Men/Gold Plate OR Gold, White OR Gold, Yellow
    Rings/Bands/Women/Gold Plate OR Gold, White OR Gold, Yellow
    Rings/Metal Fashion Rings/Gold, Solid
    Rings/Metal Fashion Rings/Silver, Solid

Judging by some previous posts, where metal was considered the most important criteria, I would not expect to find solid gold jewelry of any kind in "Costume Jewellery". "

Do you think that these are a start toward forming the ebid Fine Jewelry category to something that mirrors the B and M store? There were also some category clarifications put forth in an earlier post #42 by Opis. I think those who are posting on this matter seem to be in agreement that there should be a division between items of a higher calibre, and the plated things; the discussion now is more along the lines of How Do We Enumerate The Subcategories
    "You're a guest of nature.....so behave!"

Forum Lurker
    All-About 1840clb
    View 1840clb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Yes it is a start, but you are right about the real gold but if it has man made stones in it then it would not be in fine jewelry. If you were to put a notation under fine jewelry stating that everything in this category must be solid precious metals and all gemstones must not be man made, I think that will help to clear things up. There should also be an antique/vintage category added to the fine jewelry section and the fashion jewelry section. There also needs to be added to both the sub-category for artesian, then that should cover everyone no matter what they sell and would have a category or sub-category for everyone.
    Last edited by 1840clb; 17th January 2009 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1840clb View Post
    Yes it is a start, but you are right about the real gold but if it has man made stones in it then it would not be in fine jewelry. If you were to put a notation under fine jewelry stating that everything in this category must be solid precious metals and all gemstones must not be man made, I think that will help to clear things up. There should also be an antique/vintage category added to the fine jewelry section and the fashion jewelry section. There also needs to be added to both the sub-category for artesian, then that should cover everyone no matter what they sell and would have a category or sub-category for everyone.
    Somewhere in this sprawling thread, I think these have now been agreed upon:

Fine Jewellery -
    Metal (if any): Must be only 9Kt or finer gold, sterling silver, or platinum.
    Stones (if any): Must be genuine, cut or cabbed gemstones. This which would include high-quality semi-precious stones, most of which are already listed in the subcategories in eBid.

Fashion Jewellery - should have subcategories corresponding to the ones in Fine Jewellery -
    Metal (if any): Gold plated, gold rolled, gold filled, silver plated. Also the metals listed in Fine Jewellery if the stone doesn't qualify.
    Stones (if any): Manmade gemstones (such as CZ's), tumbled gemstones, artificially colored gemstones, any stones listed in Fine Jewellery if the metal doesn't qualify.

Costume Jewellery - anything not meeting the standards above
    Rhinestones, any other metals, imitation pearls, Avon jewellery, would be here.

There already are categories for Antique & Vintage and Artisan Jewellery, with quite a few subcategories. I've seen requests for specific subcategories in the forums for these. They seem to have different criteria, so it might be better not to force them to be listed with the new jewellery.

It would also be nice if a rule could be enforced that the items in Fine Jewellery and Fashion Jewellery be required to describe the metal so buyers don't have to guess, and to be sure the item is actually in the correct category.

Forum Lurker
    All-About 1840clb
    View 1840clb's Listings
    Forum Posts

By George, I think we have a winner!!!!!!!!!!

View pearlygirl555's Feedback (+203)
    All-About pearlygirl555
    View pearlygirl555's Listings
    Forum Posts

Looks good to me, Tia. Where would you suggest the stainless steel, carbide, pewter pieces go? Directly within the Fashion Jewelry Metals? To wit:

Fashion Jewelry>Metal>Gold (plated, rolled, etc)
    " " " >Silver (plated, rolled, etc)
    " " " >Other (stainless steel, carbide, pewter)
    "You're a guest of nature.....so behave!"

Thread Information