Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Fine Jewelry should mean Fine Jewelry

I agree with Tia -in every respect.
    However - there could actually be a separate cat for pearls, with sub-cats for natural, cultured, and man-made.
    I think they could have a category of their own, which would save any argument.
    Why not take a quick look at my Stores?

Find all kinds of books HERE

Find 'Plus Size' Clothes HERE

Find NEW tiny Baby Stuff HERE

Find 'Bits & Bobs' HERE

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JudesNiceThings View Post
    I agree with Tia -in every respect.
    However - there could actually be a separate cat for pearls, with sub-cats for natural, cultured, and man-made.
    That's much too simple!

View pearlygirl555's Feedback (+203)
    All-About pearlygirl555
    View pearlygirl555's Listings
    Forum Posts

I was reading an article online two days ago about some suspected skullduggery in Arkansas, at the state park where you can dig for diamonds. One of the diamond experts interviewed said that diamonds are actually semi-precious stones of very little value. He said the value they have derives from the marketing which has taught the consumer to believe that they are quite valuable. I read that and thought, Well that will certainly throw a wrench into the fine jewelry thread on ebid.
    "You're a guest of nature.....so behave!"

Quote Originally Posted by pearlygirl555 View Post
    I was reading an article online two days ago about some suspected skullduggery in Arkansas, at the state park where you can dig for diamonds. One of the diamond experts interviewed said that diamonds are actually semi-precious stones of very little value. He said the value they have derives from the marketing which has taught the consumer to believe that they are quite valuable. I read that and thought, Well that will certainly throw a wrench into the fine jewelry thread on ebid.
    He was correct, diamonds are not particularly rare. I read an article in Scientic American a few years ago that said the same thing. They do vary a great deal in quality, however, and only the finest are used in jewelry. The same is true of turquoise, opal, jade, and many other semi-precious stones, their value depends on the quality of the individual stone, and a truly spectacular one is worth a LOT. Rubies, emeralds and sapphires are much more rare, but not marketed in the same way as diamonds. A young woman I know asked for a sapphire instead of a diamond when she got engaged. Her fiance saved some money, she has a gorgeous ring, and it's truly a rare gem.

As I've said before, I'm not an expert on fine jewelry, but this thread made me curious and I started snooping around. Also, I do know a bit about semi-precious stones, because my father was a rockhound. When he retired, he turned his hobby into a business, cutting, polishing and setting many very nice stones. He taught me a lot.

That said, I don't think anyone should have a problem with high-quality diamonds, or any other semi-precious stone, provided they're set in precious metals. Since there doesn't appear to be a universal, legal definition of the term "Fine Jewellery", I think eBid is free to find categories that will satisfy the majority of sellers and buyers.

All-About pearlygirl555
    Forum Posts

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by JudesNiceThings View Post
    I just went back and refreshed my memory. I had forgotten that the current subcategories for "Fine Jewellery" and "Costume Jewellery" are not the same.

Pearls are listed in the Fine Jewellery subcategories along with all the other precious and semi-precious stones, under Necklaces, Rings, Bracelets, Sets, etc. They're aren't really "stones", but they are natural, valuable, and suitable for Fine Jewellery. I don't think anyone has objected to these. A genuine pearl rope could be listed in "Necklaces" with no problem.

If a "Fashion Jewellery" category were added, it should probably use the same sub-categories as "Fine Jewellery".

Tilt! Then I found these subcategories in Costume Jewellery:
    Rings/Bands/Men/Gold Plate OR Gold, White OR Gold, Yellow
    Rings/Bands/Women/Gold Plate OR Gold, White OR Gold, Yellow
    Rings/Metal Fashion Rings/Gold, Solid
    Rings/Metal Fashion Rings/Silver, Solid

Judging by some previous posts, where metal was considered the most important criteria, I would not expect to find solid gold jewelry of any kind in "Costume Jewellery".

Also, except for "Rings" as listed above, the subcategories in "Costume Jewellery" are more generic . . . necklaces, pendants, rings & brooches, bracelets, etc. Imitation pearls can be placed in whichever one applies.

Wow, this is burning up my whole afternoon! Fascinating topic. I went to Wikipedia to find out about natural pearls and cultured pearls. Found this:

"Single natural pearls are often sold as a collector's item, or set as centerpieces in unique jewelry. Very few matched strands of natural pearls exist, and those that do often sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars. Yachtsman and financier Cartier purchased the landmark Cartier store on Fifth Avenue in New York for $100 cash and a double strand of matched natural pearls valued at $1 million."

The article also said natural pearls are not gathered anymore, they are only found by accident. Modern pearl jewelry is made from cultured pearls, and they can be extremely valuable. Like semi-precious stones, it depends on the quality of the individual pearl.

If the consensus is that only natural pearls belong in fine jewelry, it looks as though NO pearls will ever be listed there. I have a few pieces of jewelry with cultured pearls, they were quite expensive, and if anyone had asked, I would have said they were fine jewelry.

All-About pearlygirl555
    Forum Posts

If the consensus is that only natural pearls belong in fine jewelry, it looks as though NO pearls will ever be listed there. I have a few pieces of jewelry with cultured pearls, they were quite expensive, and if anyone had asked, I would have said they were fine jewelry.
    I will preface this remark by saying again that I do not sell or buy fine jewelry, nor much other jewelry, but I would agree that pearls could comfortably reside in the "Fine Jewelry" category.

My understanding is that a number of factors influence the finished pearl. Such things as diet, water supply, and genetics of the host animal work together to produce the wide variety of pearls available.

The only thing which strikes me as perhaps the bugaboo for pearls is the variety, since you can purchase a cultured pearl in any color of the rainbow, and many shapes and sizes, where the color is a result of the factors mentioned above. You can also purchase an identical-looking pearl which was dyed and tooled to acheive the same result. So, how detailed are people wanting the pearl categories to be?

Hmmm . . . back to the internet. This is a dangerous subject, taking up too much of my time, but I'm learning a lot! This is my guess as to the standards eBid should use:

Unadulterated pearls, in their original color, in Fine Jewelry. Of course, the fittings would have to be precious metal. You're right, there is a wide range of natural colors. I didn't even know abalone produced pearls. Take a look at the first picture here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl

Artificially colored pearls, and any genuine pearls set in goldplate, silverplate, etc., in Fashion Jewelry.

Imitiation pearls, obviously, in Costume Jewelry.

I then got curious about the difference between saltwater pearls and freshwater pearls, and found they both can be very valuable, or not, depending on the grade. Just like any other semi-precious or rare gemstone. They do seem to be classified as "gemstones", too.

If anyone reading this thread knows about pearls, input might be helpful.

Forum Lurker
    View 1840clb's Feedback (+1)
    All-About 1840clb
    View 1840clb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TiasTreasures View Post
    Hmmm . . . back to the internet. This is a dangerous subject, taking up too much of my time, but I'm learning a lot! This is my guess as to the standards eBid should use:

Unadulterated pearls, in their original color, in Fine Jewelry. Of course, the fittings would have to be precious metal. You're right, there is a wide range of natural colors. I didn't even know abalone produced pearls. Take a look at the first picture here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl

Artificially colored pearls, and any genuine pearls set in goldplate, silverplate, etc., in Fashion Jewelry.

Imitiation pearls, obviously, in Costume Jewelry.

I then got curious about the difference between saltwater pearls and freshwater pearls, and found they both can be very valuable, or not, depending on the grade. Just like any other semi-precious or rare gemstone. They do seem to be classified as "gemstones", too.

If anyone reading this thread knows about pearls, input might be helpful.
    Pearls are considered a gemstone and would be in the fine jewelry category if they are set in metal, the metal must be a precious metal and from my experience with them a strand of pearls that would be considered fine, are all hand knotted. A cultured pearl is still a pearl that started from an irritant in the host it is not made in a lab, therefore it is not considered man made.

Thread Information