Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Fine Jewelry should mean Fine Jewelry

View Opis's Feedback (+664)
    All-About Opis
    View Opis's Listings
    Forum Posts

Been keeping up with this thread, though haven't posted for a while, so I can see other peoples opinions and ideas. There's been some brilliant posts .

1840clb, you opened this topic (and it needed doing by someone so thankyou ) . I've had a good look at your listings, and I've approached them from an every day buyers perspective. You are selling some truly gorgeous items

The first thing that struck me was your title. You are selling gold, but you are not saying this in your title!!!! . This is a reason people aren't finding you! Most buyers don't know what YG or WG is.

Instead of "Fine Jewelry 10kt wg Sapphire and Diamond Earrings"

Why not try something like:

"10k White Gold Blue Sapphire & Diamond Earrings jewelry"

I've underlined the KEYWORDS ie words buyers search for when looking for jewellery (according to website traffic reports).

In the first sentance you are only using 5 keywords, the 2nd shows 8. Your keywords are what buyers find you with, they are incredibly important. Also never use the word and (takes up precious characters) - always use &.

Big up your desriptions! These beautiful items you are selling are worth more than a couple of plain sentances - we are jewellery sellers so be fun & flamboyant and sell sell sell!

For example, the first thing that struck me about the sapphire earrings was how 'regal' they looked, like the ones Princess Diana used to wear. Say that - say how utterly stunning they are, and royal like! You're not lying, just selling the buyer a wonderful item - they to can feel like a royal . Have fun with it.

About me pages are so important to ebid, as we are new sellers, some with no feedback, and we are asking buyers to trust us and part with alot of money. Don't slag off *bay on your page. Buyers don't care about your feelings towards *bay, and how unjust it has become, and it creates a negative depressing read. At the moment you 'ME' page says hardly anything about you yourself, but alot about how you hate *bay. Don't be at all negative - buyers will walk away very quickly. The only time you need to mention *bay is to give a quick link to your *bay feedback if you want to.

So for example, how did you get into jewellery? What are you favourite gemstones etc? What are your hobbies? Be positive and show the buyer who you are, and chat about stuff like this. Talk about your dog ( looks a cutie )! Anything to show the buyer who they are dealing with. Explain why your items are genuine (their history/ USA hallmarking system etc). Give the buyer confidence in you. Explain a simple returns policy to help this confidence.

A successful jewellery seller kindly passed on advice to me regarding photos when I first started in jewellery, and I saw my sales pick up a lot.They said never wear your rings, always photograph them in a box, and take lots from different angles on a plain light background eg white card.

Open an account with photobucket, and then by simple copy and paste any extra photos in your listings will be free (instead of you being charged). I'll be glad to show you how to do this, it's dead easy and will save you money and make listing even better

Please take all this in the positive way it is meant. We all genuinely want sellers on here to succeed .

RE catagories, maybe we could just ask for a rolled gold/ plated/ gold filled catagory to begin with? That way, we have a section to place them in straight away? Anyone who has this type of jewellery can then list it in there, at the mo they've nowhere to go.
    Last edited by Opis; 8th January 2009 at 03:15 PM.

View pearlygirl555's Feedback (+203)
    All-About pearlygirl555
    View pearlygirl555's Listings
    Forum Posts

1840clb, I see you have removed your jewelry listings. I hope you have just taken them down to freshen up the photographs and plan to relist them soon---you've got really lovely items at a super-competitive price. There's plenty of room here at eBid for everyone
    "You're a guest of nature.....so behave!"

Forum Lurker
    View 1840clb's Feedback (+1)
    All-About 1840clb
    View 1840clb's Listings
    Forum Posts

I put them some where else, where all but one have bids on them as of right now all will sell but 1. I will probably just list loose gemstones here.

All-About pearlygirl555
    Forum Posts

Great news, I'm glad you are having success! Look forward to seeing your loose gemstones whenever you get them listed.

If you don't mind me asking, and I don't need to know the site they are on, but what categories did you list under, where they are now? Were you able to find some categories that were more sensible to you?

Forum Lurker
    All-About 1840clb
    View 1840clb's Listings
    Forum Posts

I listed them under fine gold jewelry. All in this category must be at least solid 10kt or better and must be natural mined gemstones no man made gemstones.

All in this category must be at least solid 10kt or better and must be natural mined gemstones no man made gemstones.

That sounds eminently sensible - and simple! LOL
    Why not take a quick look at my Stores?

Find all kinds of books HERE

Find 'Plus Size' Clothes HERE

Find NEW tiny Baby Stuff HERE

Find 'Bits & Bobs' HERE

Forum Lurker
    All-About 1840clb
    View 1840clb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JudesNiceThings View Post
    All in this category must be at least solid 10kt or better and must be natural mined gemstones no man made gemstones.

That sounds eminently sensible - and simple! LOL
    Yes it is, too bad most here do not agree.

All-About pearlygirl555
    Forum Posts

For the fine jewelry section add a statement that all jewelry in this section must be all precious metal and mined gemstones
    Getting back to this suggestion, I wonder if it would be possible to add a definition within the header of whatever jewelry categories ebid end up using. The definition would then appear in a place that would benefit both buyers and sellers; the buyers would know right away if they were in the right area to find what they want, and the sellers would know if their item was a good fit for that category.

I had a quick browse through the current Fine Jewelry section, and saw everything from 10kt gold items set with precious gemstones, to a stretch elastic anklet with sterling silver and glass seed beads. This is not to cast aspersions on any seller here, as I'm sure they listed their items where they felt they belonged. I think if there were a category for "Fine Jewelry>Gold" that included a definition of "All items in this category will have a minimum of 9kt and be set with natural mined gemstones" it might go a long way toward ensuring that the items there would meet that standard. It would be a good idea to have an additional category for the gold-plated, rolled-gold pieces.

Does anyone know......do buyers tend to search for categories, or according to keywords more? I know when I am looking for something, I always go right to the keyword search field and almost never look through a given category. Even when I'm listing something and don't know where to put it, I will type in the keywords I plan to use in the title to bring up similar listings, then judge whether my item is a good fit. If it is, I stick with my original title. If not, I might then delve into a category to see how others are describing a similar item. But perhaps this is the mentality of the seller at work, and maybe people who primarily buy online think differently.

What do you think?

Forum Lurker
    All-About 1840clb
    View 1840clb's Listings
    Forum Posts

I know that for over 30 year I have been buying jewelry for myself, I am not looking for anything particular but I want it to be real gold and real gemstones so that is where I look. That way when I see something that jumps out and says "you have to have that" I already know that it is going to be all gold and natural stones.

All-About pearlygirl555
    Forum Posts

Hi 1840clb!
    So you are more likely to just go to the Fine Jewelry category anywhere, and look through that, because you know what you like will be there?

Do you ever poke through other categories than Fine Jewelry, looking for something you might like that has been placed in the wrong category?

Thread Information