eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: anyone know the name of knitting needles?

View TexasAda's Feedback (+635)
    All-About TexasAda
    View TexasAda's Listings
    Forum Posts

The needles, no matter what size, that are connected with a flexible cord between the hard pointed ends, are called circular needles in my part of the world. I use them to knit socks that have no seams.

The sets of 4 or 5 double pointed needles are called double pointed needles or sock pins. You can use them also to knit seamless, tubular things like socks.

As a knitter from the midwest, I agree with TexasAda. That is what we call them.

However, I have to correct what someone mentioned; the term "cable" needle is not interchangable with "circular" needle. Yes, circular needles have a plastic cable holding them together but they are not called cable needles. In knitting a cable needle is actually a very short little needle or holder (straight, curved, U shaped,etc) used to hold stitches in front or back of work while making,,, ta da, a cable (you know,the twisted pattern on the front of your sweater/jumper). They actually come in different sizes too, as they have to match the knitting needles being used.

So in US, if the knitting needles are joined with a cord/cable they are called circulars, if they have two pointed ends they are called double-points, and if they are short and curved or U shaped they are cable needles/holders.

Thread Information