My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: need advise on thin sizzix style dies

Default need advise on thin sizzix style dies

ive noticed ppl selling thin sizzix style dies that are cheaper than wooden dies and have recently bought a couple but after about half a dozen cuts the foam goes very flat and the card gets stuck to the metal. ive even had the dies seperate. what am i doing wrong and how can i get my moneys worth of cuts out of them as there are a lot of designs i want but they just not lasting. i use the big shot and have the multi purpose adaptor platform. any advise would be great thanx

Hi, I use the cuttlebug and have not found this problem, the foam does flatten after a while, but i get plenty of use out of them. I do find that if the paper/card you use on them is smaller than the die itself it eventually leaves a mark on the foam.

The thin dies are aimed at paper and thin card, I manage to use some thicker card on them, but it doesnt always cut wonderfully so i temd to roll through a few times, but again i have not had them become unusable as yet.

Sorry i cant be of much help but thought i would put my worth in

Quote Originally Posted by nuttynedscrafts View Post
    ive noticed ppl selling thin sizzix style dies that are cheaper than wooden dies and have recently bought a couple but after about half a dozen cuts the foam goes very flat and the card gets stuck to the metal. ive even had the dies seperate. what am i doing wrong and how can i get my moneys worth of cuts out of them as there are a lot of designs i want but they just not lasting. i use the big shot and have the multi purpose adaptor platform. any advise would be great thanx
    Hi nuttynedscrafts,

What type of dies are you trying to use are they the xcut impress dies. I used one for a wedding and managed to make approx 300 cuts but needed to buy a second as the first started to loose its cutting ability.

Like Starteck2002 I used them in a cuttlebug and as they became more worn I would slip a sheet of paper under the die not on the cutting side just to give it a better height to cut more cleanly.

Maybe the big shot puts more pressure on the die and the adaptor platform might be bringing the die up too much. Try using a thinner adaptor or several sheets of paper folded instead of the adapter platform to bring the die up to a comfortable cutting height without putting too much pressure on the die. If that's clear what I'm saying.

Hope that helps.

Two tips that might be worth trying, to lubricate the die, cut through some waxed kitchen paper a few times that will help to give a smoother cut, also dies do ned to be honed occasionly depending on the amount of use, to acheive this cut a few times through a good brand kitchen foil, this will give the die a good edge.
    Myositis in Focus : my website on the awareness of the Muscle inflammatory disease

My Daily Journal : my Daily Blog " Living with Dermatomyositis

Years Gone By My Genealogy and Family History store

thanx everybody for your useful info i will give it ago.

hi im trying to use sizzix thin dies in my big shot but wow you got 300 cuts, thats great. i have been told to stick 3d decoupage foam pads to the cutting side of the die but leave the slippy backing on also.

View cepher0's Feedback (+700)
    All-About cepher0
    View cepher0's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nuttynedscrafts View Post
    hi im trying to use sizzix thin dies in my big shot but wow you got 300 cuts, thats great. i have been told to stick 3d decoupage foam pads to the cutting side of the die but leave the slippy backing on also.
    Hi nutty,

Have you tried using a piece of self healing cutting pad instead of the hard plastic cutting board.

I cut a piece of thin mdf the width to fit through all my cutters, then cut a strip off the side of a self healing cutting pad, those green ones you can buy in any craft store. Pad it up to the correct height with card or paper and use that instead of the hard plastic sheet that comes with the cutters.

I have around 160 dies i used for school projects etc over the past 8 years or so, and have never had to replace or sharpen them. Because the die sinks very slightly into the s/h pad the blade edges don't get 'thumped' and blunted like they do with the hard plastic sheet.

The cuts sticking in the dies is easy to sort out look for some A4 double sided adhesive sheets (not sure if there are any on ebid) but simply cut to the size of your die, remove one side of the carrier paper and stick it on your die, leave the other side of the paper on and cut as normal, your cuts won't stick in the dies anymore...

I hope this is of some help for you...

Hugs, Arline xxx

Great Card Making and Scrapbooking Goodies at Low Low Prices. In Store Now

http://uk.four.ebid.net/perl/main.cgi?mo=user-store&title=The-Scrapbook-Crafters-Carousel

Forum Newbie
    All-About ScrapHappy7632
    View ScrapHappy7632's Listings
    Forum Posts

It may be that the sizzix is not cutting all the way through. The plastic base can sometimes warp. You don't see this much on the heavier dies, but do on the thin dies. Use wax paper and make cuts on that. Also, add one or two pieces of cardstock under the plastic cutting board. This tends to lift the cutting board up mm higher and helps to make the cuts all the way through the paper.

Also, heavier stock cardstock like bazzill is more difficult to cut through, so if there is the slightest warp in the plastic base, some have difficulty in cutting. Raising the base just slightly with cardstock definitely helps.

Michelle

Hi All,
    I used to be one of the biggest die cut sellers on E**Y..So...
    My GOOD IDEA i used to do...was to use FUNKY FOAM as the backing for the dies.
    Just use double side tape on back of foam..Stick it to the back...
    Then cut it through...The foam will then stick to the back of the die.
    it is a cheaper way than buying the proper foam.
    if it flattens then you can use it again and again.
    This is Great for Quickutz dies as well as sizzlets & Ellison Thin Dies.
    As with the Quickutz dies..you can take out the outside peice to just keep the shape.
    I wouldnt Recommend this for sizzlets with alot of detail ..

Hope My suggestion works for you..!?

steve

Thread Information