eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coins in Banknote category, a no no

View FBNeNotes's Feedback (+1108)
    All-About FBNeNotes
    View FBNeNotes's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Coins in Banknote category, a no no

Being patient here... but there has been Zero movement by eBid to move or cancel items in wrong sub-cats.. unless they have been notified.
    Well...... I can not sell-offer banknotes in a banknote category when category is 95% or more full of Coins.
    Are sellers dumb? not caring? what can it be??
    Not good for me or eBid.. as professional buyers would look then run

I have seen 138 coins by 6 sellers listed in the Banknote category in the last 2 Months here.

One warning... if done again, then your outta here, should be enforced. Site can not function to its fullest, and loose many potential buyers as is now.

All-About FBNeNotes
    Forum Posts

Well.. it is still 95%, but the quantity has been halved. It is a start.

Categories Must be correct with proper items in them, always.

View madelaine's Feedback (+5872)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Ebid steadfastly refuse to police the cats themselves - you have to report. Personally, I reported one category that mattered to me for a month, then sent a message pointing out how easily they could have done it themselves (it would have been quicker than opening all my emails), then I stopped.
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Forum Master
    View poppa501's Feedback (+642)
    All-About poppa501
    View poppa501's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FBNeNotes View Post
    Well.. it is still 95%, but the quantity has been halved. It is a start.

Categories Must be correct with proper items in them, always.
    Understand your frustration. However, when I did a search for coins in the banknote category (2658 listings) I only came up with 39 entries. You state 95%. What am I missing? BTW-found only 4 banknote listings in coins.
    Poppa

Forum Newbie
    View olddiecast's Feedback (+126)
    All-About olddiecast
    View olddiecast's Listings
    Forum Posts

Banknotes in the coin section is just as bad for me. I review my auctions every so often as I am not perfect. As anyone knows something in the wrong category has far less chance of selling.
    The pen may be mightier than the sword but I'd still rather have a cutlass than a parker in a fight

Amazing Triops!!!, Magic t-shirts, Toys and more

All-About FBNeNotes
    Forum Posts

Approximately 140 Coins have been moved out of Banknotes or were cancelled.

Forum Newbie
    View 106wallyworld's Feedback (+161)
    All-About 106wallyworld
    View 106wallyworld's Listings
    Forum Posts

I've got to agree w/ poppa501 - I scrolled thru the first 500 Banknote listings and saw less than 10 coins. Whatever he is missing on the 95%..... so am I. :- )

While I agree in principle with the original complaint about coins in the paper money category, I think the poster is being somewhat shortsighted. With all due respect, eBid offers sellers the ability to list items in more than one category as a way of cross-promoting items to people who have interests in more than one category. While many coin collectors do not touch paper money, others do, and vice versa. The complaint would be completely understandable if, for example, the paper money listings were infested with hundreds of lots of Beanie Babies or something similarly COMPLETELY unrelated to numismatics.

Speaking from a more personal perspective, the bigger problem as I see it is the number of listings of, well, C-R-A-P. I have mnay listings in the Canadian paper money category, and there are two kinds of listings I really dislike to see vying for attention next to my items: cheap worthless items and wantonly overpriced items. I wish I could have the collecting world's ear for just 15 seconds because here is what I would say: 1973 $1 bills are worthless in any grade because everyone and their auntie stuffed their sock drawers full of these notes back in 1987 when the issue was discontinued, and nobody is buying them, so PLEASE stop clogging up the paper money listings with them. If the coins being cross-listed in paper money were quality items, I would say there's no problem with them. Quality items bring strong interest from serious buyers, and wouldn't we all like more buyers? But C-R-A-P appeals to nobody, whether it is a coin or a note and it doesn't matter if it's in the right category or the wrong one. Unfortunately, the feeBay site has the same problem which becomes quite acute around cheap listing days. On those days, not only do the people with low-grade common notes come out of the forest to list, but they also insist their notes are rare and valuable, asking $20 for notes worth $2, etc.

I think a solution would be to cap the length of time that fixed-price listings have for remaining active. If sellers have to constantly re-post lousy items that nobody wants, it might make them think twice about what they are doing.

Cheers,
    Mark
    ================

The biggest truths are always left unsaid.

The biggest lies are repeated endlessly.

Forum Master
    View poppa501's Feedback (+642)
    All-About poppa501
    View poppa501's Listings
    Forum Posts

Mark--Welcome to the nut house! Although I don't agree 100% with all you stated, I do wholeheartedly agree about limiting the list until sold items. I have mentioned this before elsewhere as have others. I feel that 60-90 days would be a God's plenty. If you can't sell it within that time frame, then something is wrong and you need to change it or move on. Hopefully this is something that Mark and Gazza will consider for 2009. Oh btw--Happy New Year!
    Poppa

View ttelyob's Feedback (+1495)
    All-About ttelyob
    View ttelyob's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by poppa501 View Post
    Mark--Welcome to the nut house! Although I don't agree 100% with all you stated, I do wholeheartedly agree about limiting the list until sold items. I have mentioned this before elsewhere as have others. I feel that 60-90 days would be a God's plenty. If you can't sell it within that time frame, then something is wrong and you need to change it or move on. Hopefully this is something that Mark and Gazza will consider for 2009. Oh btw--Happy New Year!
    Poppa
    I sell postcards and First Day Covers, both areas where you can have cards or covers sitting around for months with no interest shown, then suddenly the person who has been looking for that item comes along and it sells.
    I am quite happy for cards and covers to be listed for months waiting for the right person to come along {especially here where it is not costing an arm and a leg in listing fees}.
    But, I do not like to see so many 'Run Till Sold' items.
    As I have said on other threads, I have only used that for a couple of items, where I have several copies of the same postcard.
    The main thing with 'Run Till Sold' is that they will always be at the bottom of the searches.
    I find the best way is to list for 10 days, with 10 auto reposts, that way they all regularly come to the top of the searches, when they come to the end of the 10 reposts they can simply be reset for another 10.

Happy New Year

Thread Information