Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Northern soul

View CrazyJay's Feedback (+149)
    All-About CrazyJay
    View CrazyJay's Listings
    Forum Posts

I really need to get busy listing a few more records (maybe some less rare ones, with lower price tags.) To bring in enough money to buy.........More records !

One day I should replace my old DJ decks too - (Problem is, I have nowhere to store a DJ'ing kit at the moment.)

For those who aren't fussy about filtering what I sell - Take a look at ALL my stuff above. - But for more specific listings, take a peek in the stores below.

TOY-PALLOI - For all sorts of traditional playthings!

THE PAPERBOYS PLEASURE - For Books & Magazines

OUT ON THE FLOOR - For Records - (mainly 1950's - 60's)

VIEWPOINT - Photographic Equipment

THE SCRAPYARD - Spare parts for old cars and bikes

What you guys call Northern Soul is basically our Soul music. The big difference is you guys dance differently than us.
    Other than that it's cool.
    Friend of mine just transferred his vinyl to cds and gave me over 30 of the best and somewhat obscure stuff from the 50s and the 60s ( my time ).

" Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't. "
    Ben Franklin

http://us.ebid.net/stores/JerseyDevi...-and-Militaria

http://us.ebid.net/stores/JerseyDevil-COMICS

http://us.ebid.net/stores/JerseyDevi...CTCs-and-Games

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil View Post
    What you guys call Northern Soul is basically our Soul music. The big difference is you guys dance differently than us.
    For me, Northern Soul has always been hard to distinguish from regular soul, so I RARELY list anything as Northern Soul. I will just usually list it as SOUL or R&B. According to everything I have read, Northern Soul, here in the US, is defined as a musical style that has a pulsing Motown-like beat, with the horns and lyrics of a Chicago blues club or a Memphis roadhouse Apparently, one of the rarest Northern Soul titles ther is, is "Do I Love You (Indeed I Do)" by Frank Wilson on the "Soul" label from 1965. In Near Mint condition, it goes for about $20,000 USD. I look for it whenever I hit the thrift stores or garage sales.

Records, VideoDiscs, Tapes, Books, Puzzles, Gifts

Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View Huddylion's Feedback (+4843)
    All-About Huddylion
    View Huddylion's Listings
    Forum Posts

Rare record guide 2010 ISSUE
    Frank Wilson
    DO I LOVE YOU/SWEETER AS THE DAYS GO BY...Tamla motown label TMG1170 Mint £50
    My feedback of
    is 100% positive and has all been earnt here on Ebid

Default That will be the more recent re-issue.

Rare record guide 2010 ISSUE
    Frank Wilson
    DO I LOVE YOU/SWEETER AS THE DAYS GO BY...Tamla motown label TMG1170 Mint £50

That will be the more recent re-issue. The original if I remember right never got officially released over here, and only a few copies exist.

Cheers Mel

Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View Huddylion's Feedback (+4843)
    All-About Huddylion
    View Huddylion's Listings
    Forum Posts

Your right Mel as the book only deals with UK issues
    My feedback of
    is 100% positive and has all been earnt here on Ebid

View CrazyJay's Feedback (+149)
    All-About CrazyJay
    View CrazyJay's Listings
    Forum Posts

I think Frank Wilson's Do I Love You has been released on 45 a couple of times hasn't it? - should be able to pick a reasonably priced copy up from somewhere. It's only the original on that super rare SOUL label that warrants the really big money.

Mind you I still don't have a copy of it on vinyl at all, just a couple on CD. I've actually only got a handful of Motown 45's

For those who aren't fussy about filtering what I sell - Take a look at ALL my stuff above. - But for more specific listings, take a peek in the stores below.

TOY-PALLOI - For all sorts of traditional playthings!

THE PAPERBOYS PLEASURE - For Books & Magazines

OUT ON THE FLOOR - For Records - (mainly 1950's - 60's)

VIEWPOINT - Photographic Equipment

THE SCRAPYARD - Spare parts for old cars and bikes

Quote Originally Posted by booksntings View Post
    That will be the more recent re-issue. The original if I remember right never got officially released over here, and only a few copies exist.

Here's what my book says about the "Soul" label pressing...

"The rarest Northern Soul record, in fact one of the rarest records of all time, is Frank Wilson's "Do I Love You (Indeed I Do)" / "Sweeter as the Days Go By." Promotional test copies [on Motown's "Soul" label subsidiary] of this uptempo song were pressed, but at the last minute Motown president Berry Gordy pulled the record off the market - and then re-issued "Do I Love You" with Wilson's voice replaced by a female singer on the Motown roster, Chris Clark. the test copies stayed locked in the Motown vault until the early 1970s, when Northern Soul collector/DJ Simon Soussan acquired one of the promotional pressings. Soussan brought the record back to England and played it in his dance club, where it became a heavily-requested hit. To add to the demand for the song, bootleg copies of "Do I Love You" started appearing in stores, with a phony label [In Records] and performing credits awarded to singer Eddie Foster. A second pressing of "Do I Love You" was auctioned in 1999, selling for over $15,000 to another Northern Soul collector, Kenny Burrell - legend says that after he bought the record, he took it to a club and actually played it! As many as 7 copies may exist of this record, but only two have surfaced to this day."

Records, VideoDiscs, Tapes, Books, Puzzles, Gifts

Smile Spot on Windsor

Hi Windsor, spot on.

There was also a Canadian label that put out some very dodgy pressings with both versions on it. The Chris Clark version is pretty damn good as well. Can't get the old grey cells to remember the label. It will come to me some time.

Mel

Smile Stardust

Sussed it,

the label was Stardust.

Found these details,

Label:Stardust Records Catalog#:URS 113 Format:Vinyl, 7", Single
    Country:USA & CanadaReleased:Genre:Funk / Soul Style:Soul Notes:Frank Wilson originally issued On Soul S-35019 in 1966 (only 3 copies known to exist) The rarest soul record ever issued. Was used By KFC Soul Food TV Advert in UK.
    Chris Clark's version was originally available only as a V. I. P. (Motown) test pressing from 1966.

Sold loads of these in my shop when we could get them.

Mel

Thread Information