My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: I need help finding a value for this ring

Default I need help finding a value for this ring

I've spent far too much time trying to figure out on my own how much this ring is worth! So, I decided to ask all of you for your opinions. I'm not at all an expert on jewelry.

I have a man's ring, sterling silver with a black hematite Intaglio carved with a Roman soldier's head. It was found with some of my grandmother's jewelry after she died; she was born in 1886. My research indicates these rings were popular during the Victorian era, which fits,so it seems likely this is an authentic antique ring.

My problem is that I haven't found anything like this for sale anywhere. Some companies are making new ones, their prices start at $150 and go up.

I would assume an antique is worth more, but this one has a rather badly worn band. The stone, the setting and the cross-hatch design on either side is all in very good condition. The wear is all on the bottom half of the band. Most of the word "Sterling" is still clear on the inside.

I'm attaching a picture, which is not very good. The stone is so shiny I had trouble getting a clear picture.

Help please?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

This is what I would do... go to a jeweler and pretend you want to sell it. Whatever price they offer, multiply that by 3 or 4, or get it appraised.

Leslie

Forum Lurker
    View sovereignman's Feedback (+16)
    All-About sovereignman
    View sovereignman's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TiasTreasures View Post
    I've spent far too much time trying to figure out on my own how much this ring is worth! So, I decided to ask all of you for your opinions. I'm not at all an expert on jewelry.

I have a man's ring, sterling silver with a black hematite Intaglio carved with a Roman soldier's head. It was found with some of my grandmother's jewelry after she died; she was born in 1886. My research indicates these rings were popular during the Victorian era, which fits,so it seems likely this is an authentic antique ring.

My problem is that I haven't found anything like this for sale anywhere. Some companies are making new ones, their prices start at $150 and go up.

I would assume an antique is worth more, but this one has a rather badly worn band. The stone, the setting and the cross-hatch design on either side is all in very good condition. The wear is all on the bottom half of the band. Most of the word "Sterling" is still clear on the inside.

I'm attaching a picture, which is not very good. The stone is so shiny I had trouble getting a clear picture.

Help please?
    It would depend on what you want to do with the ring. Sell it fast or sit on it for the right customer. this style ring was popular during WWII and many were brought back from Italy and were 10kt gold. Mens Hematite Intaglio Cameo Rings were also popular in the victorian era. Average price on sterling silver in fair condition $75.00 for a quicker sale more if you want to sit on it. JMO.

Thank you! All I needed was a ballpark value.

We don't know who it belonged to, so there's no sentimental value. I'll try to get some decent pictures and list it.

As soon as I remember where I put it . . .

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi TiasTreasures,

I probably shouldn't mention another site here, as I'm likely to get flamed, but anywho, if I get stuck pricing a vintage item, I can usually find similar/comparable jewelry items at Ruby Lane and Trocadero, not that I shop there myself, both sites are too rich for my blood, but the sellers do have quite a bit of high end vintage jewelry listed, even if, as I said before, most of it is way out of my price range.

Good luck and best wishes for many sales,

Thread Information