Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clock Collectors

Default Clock Collectors

Can you please tell me anything about this clock? Its marked "Endura", "Made in France". Its a wind up alarm clock. I found it in a box of junk in my basement. I remember it being around when I was a kid. Yes its very dirty.
    Stop by and browse around. New items added to all stores almost daily.

View playtowin's Feedback (+704)
    All-About playtowin
    View playtowin's Listings
    Forum Posts

theres one on eb4y item no 120325518966
    doesnt give any real info though

Thank-you, I looked there, but nothing came up. I'll go look.

http://www.antiqueclockspriceguide.com/ perhaps they can be of help.. or anyone know anybody with a login there?
    Many changes yet again, started a new venture, and you can watch my store grow here: Really Rural Woodworks

View playtowin's Feedback (+704)
    All-About playtowin
    View playtowin's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by patticakebbq View Post
    Thank-you, I looked there, but nothing came up. I'll go look.
    you're welcome

Hi patticake,
    Your little clock is typical of its type and was almost certainly produced in the 60s
    I would image the front glass is actually plastic and by the looks of it is quite badly scratched.
    The name Endura is that of the retailer and not of the maker.
    Retailers would often import movements from places like France and Germany and fit them to cases of their own design.
    The case on yours could loosely be described as a strut clock case, and is probably made of brass, spelter or some other base metal.
    I might be able to give you a better idea of the type of movement fitted, if I could see a good close up photo of the rear of the clock.
    But to be honest I'm sorry to say your little clock is of no real value, Maybe five or six pounds if it is in working order
    If someone was to offer you a tenner I would snatch their hand off and leg it before they changed their minds

PS. Just thought Id show you a French spelter clock from my own collection
    Made around Circa 1880. (Movement by Jappy Freres)
    It strikes the hours and the half hours on a pretty little bell, and sounds really nice

Thanks Clockmaid. Its actually very dirty (ok filthy) in that picture, I cleaned the outside of the glass and there are a few scratches, nothing I would consider major. The inside of the glass is dirty also. So being that isn't worth anything, opening it up isn't going to hurt anything. How do I tell if its plastic? It feels like glass.

Here is a picture of the back.

From the side.

Ok
    Looking at the rear of the clock I would say it is probably a 30 hour movement, so would have to be wound every day. Although I cant be completely sure without seeing the clock first hand
    The better ones are 8 day movements.
    If you do open it up DONT whatever you do be tempted to spray the movement with anything like WD40.
    Many people do this and all it does is make things worse
    To be honest the only correct way of doing it is to completely dismantle the movement and clean all the parts chemically in an ultrasonic bath.
    That's assuming there is no actual damage or serious wear to the movement, escapement or balance staff.
    If you don't know what your doing I really would leave well alone.

If the front is glass it will feel much harder and smoother to the touch of your finger nail.

I have to ask. Have you actually tried winding it up to see if anything happens

Yup, I've wound it up and it ticks and then I wound the alarm and moved the time to where the alarm was set and it works. Not very loudly at first, but its been sitting for at least 20 years in a box.

Thread Information