Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: To bin, or not to bin?

Thumbs up To bin, or not to bin?

Hi there peeps,

First, many thanks to thefunstore for telling me about using the gimp, a wonderful ‘freeware’ programme that has just enabled me to get my mug shot down to150x150 pixel size so that I can be my own avatar and frighten you all. Yes! That’s me, the hair dyed, silver surfer from the dark side; who started his computer education some 50 years ago, still types cobal with one finger, and can’t programme his microwave. If, of course, the picture is really there.

I was wondering about this Google listing that some people talk about on these forums, thinking it was likely to be so much hot air. So, I typed one of my eBid store categories into Google - ‘deutsche buch’. In 0.26 seconds I had 498,000 results, but ON THE FIRST PAGE, the very last item it is true, appeared 'Shopping Results for deutsche buch’, and the very first item was ‘DU UND DIE NATURE Physik… £1 – eBid Online Auctions'. When I clicked that, up CAME IMMEDIATELY MY eBid AUCTION. Wow! What do you say to that?

I then punched in Cadfael, a book I listed yesterday, and got the usual Google mixture of results, so I added the word book and lo and behold: first page, fourth item is Shopping Results, the first item is an eBid seller of a Cadfael book – well, at least it was an eBid seller and I only put my book on yesterday. It takes a few days, I guess.

So I punched in the title of one of the German books that have been on for longer, and got the usual Google mixture. So I added ‘book’, not even the German ‘buch’ and there, on the first page, fourth result, only item is my book listed with a link straight back to my eBid auction. Well?

So! I guess I will continue putting BIN prices on my items, and will keep them on auction, so that they keep coming round again – just like I have been told. Also, I guess I should be thankful to the very kind business consultant who led me through the intricacies of the dark side when I first started over there. He told me time and time again to always put book in the title line, because many people search for something book.

I’ll go away now, and think about what to ask next. You wonderful people on eBid lead me to some breathtaking vistas of knowledge every time I ask a question. Truly, you really do. Steven

Press and check me out?

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alsoldbooks View Post
    well, at least it was an eBid seller and I only put my book on yesterday. It takes a few days, I guess.
    Just to address that bit, I checked this recently, and have the latest categoric answer on my unofficial FAQ. Let me dig that out...

begin-->
    How do I get my stuff uploaded to Googlebase?

Several times a month all listings with a "buy now" price and sufficient time to run are uploaded by eBid to Google's shopping database "Googlebase", so that searches for matching items will produce hits on their shopping search site. The description for items taken will be constructed from the auction title and will show the category in which it's listed.
    eBid has confirmed that uploading is done as follows:
    Listings are uploaded on the 3rd 8th 12th 18th 23rd and 28th days of the month.
    As long as they have 24hrs left when uploaded
    This means that to ensure your item appears you should always have it run for at least a week, then even if you list just after one upload, it will be caught on the next and have a day or two to run. Obviously, running for a few more days beyond that will give greater exposure and increase your chances of picking up a bidder via Google. Remember to balance your need to reach Google against likley buyer patience though - four weeks will give you greatest exposure, for example, but who's going to bid and wait four weeks? However, if you've a sensible Buy Now price too, they can use that to make an immediate purchase. There's no right and wrong solution, you've got the facts, now make your choice.
    <--end

Hi Kimbo, had no idea ebid did regular uploads to googlebase.... many thanks for that info.

Hi Steven, it does sound too obvious to add "book" to all your listing titles doesn't it, I was given the same advise very early on to always put "bead necklace" in my all titles no matter what else I had room for..... and it works!

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

I'm another fan of "book", but must admit I only tend to do it when there's spare space... I think it's mostly embarrassment. I think I'll get a bit tougher on that.

Many people fail to properly title their auctions because they assume that people will know what the item is by looking at the category it is listed in. However, this idea fails when the auctions a viewed in search results or any other list which is created from multiple categories.

Properly titled auctions are likely to attract more viewers who are actually looking for that item, rather than people just trying to work out what the auction is actually for.

So the lesson here to to be really idiotproof I guess! Never assume that someone looking for your product will know they're looking for it! You list a book about cats, you could catch book lovers, cat-ladies, or people who just like the cover.

Stix N String - providing 100% of your recommended daily yarn allowance

PROUD supporters of Ebid - no fees = more yarn for your money

Hi Ruth
    Hi Kimbo
    Hi Damian

OK! Some people search categories, some look in stores, but lots just put in the words, like into a search engine.

Yes! I have suspected, and this little 'test' with google convinces me, that you absolutely MUST put the words that buyers will use.

I try to think of words a buyer might use. Lets face it, if someone wants a book there is a good chance THEY will say book!

Hi 'Littletasteofhome', Ask the knowledgeable, like Kimbo, how to get yourself a signature, so we can all view your piemans' wares.

All the best with you selling, Steven

Press and check me out?

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

I read so many wonderful and helpful tips here on the eBid forums and here I found another one. I've just updated all my book listings with the word 'book' in the header

~Jan~

Thread Information