My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Need Advice re LP Album Covers only

Default Need Advice re LP Album Covers only

We have boxes full of inherited 78 and 33 records that we are listing here.

I don't have time to listen to all of them, so I'm doing that with the ones that appear to be older or more valuable. I examine the rest of them, play if there are any visible marks on the record, otherwise play the first track or two. I describe exactly how much I listened to in my description. So far, so good.

The problem is with the records that actually have a skip or heavy noise. I was going to discard them, but my daughter actually knows people who bought albums just for the cover and framed them.

So, should I list these with the records, mention the problem, or should I discard the records and sell the empty covers? Has anyone ever sold a damaged record with a good cover?

Quote Originally Posted by TiasTreasures View Post
    So, should I list these with the records, mention the problem, or should I discard the records and sell the empty covers? Has anyone ever sold a damaged record with a good cover?
    Don't discard the records. Different turntables will handle the skips differently. Linear-tracking turntables are great at playing scratched records without skipping. And as for surface noise, you'd be surprised how much noise is removed with a quick wash with some warm water and a bit of mild dish detergent (just remember to try and keep the label dry while washing).

Records, VideoDiscs, Tapes, Books, Puzzles, Gifts

Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View Huddylion's Feedback (+4843)
    All-About Huddylion
    View Huddylion's Listings
    Forum Posts

All very good advice from the Bear, yes list them , i sold a record a while ago and it jumped when i replayed it before posting out so told my buyer and they said it's not a problem as its not going to be played , just framed. so yes great advice from the bear, but please make sure that you do list the fault clearly so that people can see it ,hope you have many sales, i will be popping in for a lookskie
    Last edited by Huddylion; 18th October 2008 at 06:51 AM.
    My feedback of
    is 100% positive and has all been earnt here on Ebid

Oh Oh. That means I should dig out all the ones that had hissing and wash them. Then listen again. Something to do in my spare time.

Should have asked a long time ago. Thanks for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by TiasTreasures View Post
    Oh Oh. That means I should dig out all the ones that had hissing and wash them. Then listen again. Something to do in my spare time.
    If the records have a constant backround "hiss", then the culprit was probably a worn needle or a tonearm that was set for too much weight, resulting in the record grooves being damaged and unfortunately there really is no getting rid of the hiss.

If the records have serious "crackle and pop", but the scratches look minimal (you can see them, but can't really feel them with a fingernail), then the culprit is most likely imbedded dust and dirt in the grooves, and this is where a good cleaning can make a world of difference.

Now, this is how I clean mine (most record collectors are going to have their own methods for cleaning, and some collectors will only clean their records using professional cleaning machines)... using warm tap water, I rinse my record under the kitchen faucet and get it good and wet (making sure to keep the label as dry as possible). I then put one drop of liquid dishwashing soap on the wet grooves on one side and using a circular motion, wash the record with my hand, going all the way around the record. Get the whole side good and soapy, and pay attention to any areas that "feel funny" while you are washing the record side. Those funny feeling places will need to be investigated later as they may turn out to be cracks in the vinyl that you couldn't see earlier). Now rinse the record under the warm tap water again, using your hand to help remove all the soap. Flip the record over and repeat the above to wash and rinse the other side. When finished, give both sides a thorough rinsing, and place in the dish rack to let air dry. Use a soft towel to blot any water that is dripping onto the label. Before the record dries completely (just a few drops left), use a soft towel to wipe (in a circular motion) the record dry on both sides. This will prevent water drop stains from appearing on the vinyl. Place back in the dish rack and allow another 30 minutes of drying time. This helps to dry the water that may still be inside the grooves.

Now, the first time you play the record after washing, you may still hear some crackle and pop, but hopefully not as much. There may still be some imbedded dirt in the grooves. However, this dirt should be much looser now, so playing the record several times will usually get this "washed" dirt out of the grooves. I usually turn the volume down and allow the record to play while I do something else. I then let it repeat and play a second or third time. Afterwards, I listen to the record, and am usually amazed at how much quieter it is...sometimes almost sounding like new.

However, like I said, all collectors (and sellers) have their own way for cleaning their stuff. And there will be some records that will have clicks and pops that you just can't get rid of... no matter how much cleaning you do, or how scratch-free the record looks. I've bought records "brand-new" that had clicks and pops because the pressing plant allowed dust to be pressed into the vinyl (poor quality control).

Anyway, hope this helps. Have fun.

Bob - "The Windsor Bear"
    Last edited by WindsorBear; 18th October 2008 at 12:13 PM.

Records, VideoDiscs, Tapes, Books, Puzzles, Gifts

I am amazed at the info thats in the lions & bears head re-vinyls.

I took advice a few days ago - re playing them before listing, and when they "jumped" I decided to bin them. Shock horror.

Now know to wash in mild detergent,

Don't bin them!! Lots of dealers buy up records with good sleeves/faulty discs and vice versa. They then take the good disc from one purchase and put it with the good sleeve from another. They can ask sky high prices for rare records sometimes if both cover and disc are in good condition.
    It's really difficult to come across Elvis Presley's first LP with both a good condition cover and good condition disc but dealers will buy a faulty album if the cover is in good nick. It's well worth their while waiting months to get another with a good album but throwaway sleeve.

Thread Information