Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got lucky!

Forum Master
    View poppa501's Feedback (+642)
    All-About poppa501
    View poppa501's Listings
    Forum Posts

Smile I got lucky!

I got lucky--sold some Indian Head cents to a fellow in Australia before I discovered that I couldn't send coins there. I sent them anyway figuring I would get them back and have to refund the chap, but to my surprise he received them and left a + feedback. I have since removed Australia from my auctions. Wonder why they made it? I put on the customs label that they were Indian Head Pennies--Collectibles. Or do they just not enforce that ban or what?
    Poppa

View FBNeNotes's Feedback (+1108)
    All-About FBNeNotes
    View FBNeNotes's Listings
    Forum Posts

Dont believe everything you read... use your own knowledge along with common sense(cents). Why were you affraid???

Who did you follow? There are ""Million Dollar Auctions"" every Month with coins and banknotes sent to all but about 6 Countries.. Cuba-N.Korea and their like.

You read.. Coin World??? Coin Values?? Numismatic News??
    LOOK at all the HUGE auctions Monthly.
    Never panic and never believe "all" that you read.
    Good Luck and Good for you.

Forum Master
    View poppa501's Feedback (+642)
    All-About poppa501
    View poppa501's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FBNeNotes View Post
    Dont believe everything you read... use your own knowledge along with common sense(cents). Why were you affraid???

Who did you follow? There are ""Million Dollar Auctions"" every Month with coins and banknotes sent to all but about 6 Countries.. Cuba-N.Korea and their like.

You read.. Coin World??? Coin Values?? Numismatic News??
    LOOK at all the HUGE auctions Monthly.
    Never panic and never believe "all" that you read.
    Good Luck and Good for you.
    So you're telling me that the US postal regs are wrong or not being upheld? When I went to ship, I was asked what was in the pkg. When I told them, they said that it was against regs to ship coins to Australia. That's what bothered me! Do I just not worry about this? I'm a little confused.
    Poppa

could be the people at the post office confused it with "Austria"- an european country , as opposed to "the land down under" I suggest reviewing the USPS regulations at usps.com (in fact, you can set up an account and print your OWN postage and labels there.. even for international postage)

Here's some stuff I got from a quick search at usps.com :

There also may be restrictions depending on the class of mail you use. For instance, coins, jewelry, watches and other valuables are prohibited in Express Mail International shipments.
    Beyond these, here are just a few of the items not accepted by certain countries:
    * Australia: Goods bearing the name “Anzac.”
    * Costa Rica: Blank invoices.
    * Ireland: Hay, straw, including articles made of straw.
    * Latvia: Live animals except bees and leeches.
    * Russia: Color copiers.
    * Switzerland: Mini-spies (miniature wireless transmitters).
    * Tunisia: Playing cards.
    The International Mail Manual Index of Countries and Localities lists major prohibited items at http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/immctry.htm#ep809632. A complete list of restricted and prohibited items by nations is published by the Universal Postal Union at upu.int.
    Customers who have items that are not listed or are questionable should contact the embassy of the destination country prior to mailing.

by my OWN experience at local post office branch, employees do NOT know everything, and often have incorrect or outdated information..

Ive been trying for a WEEK to get the Global Business Connect Kit from USPS, and they have NO clue about it at all. I finally (after 5 hours of phone calls and being transferred and referred and transferred again) I finally got a phone number of person to contact that definitively knows about it- at the USPS office of Small Business Development... but they are away at training at the moment LOL! (just my luck, innit?)

But- if I ever have any questions about stuff to be shipped in the mail, just go to USPS.com and find out. - much more reliable than asking an employee who may or may not even have any idea WHERE Australia even IS, much less what can or cannot be shipped there
    Many changes yet again, started a new venture, and you can watch my store grow here: Really Rural Woodworks

Hmm. yep - it IS prohibited.. http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/ab_012.htm#ep1572941 it is right up there at the top. I'd say you definitely got lucky.

and the other site they mention: http://www.upu.int/ Maybe we should put this stuff somewhere in a sticky where everyone can find it and refer to it?
    Last edited by idealadultsales; 16th October 2008 at 03:40 AM. Reason: Added info
    Many changes yet again, started a new venture, and you can watch my store grow here: Really Rural Woodworks

I tore my hair out over this. Finally came up with a list of countries where it is legal to ship coins, silverplate, and gold items. However, some of the restrictions are prohibitive:

Canada (cannot be insured, can be first-class registered)
    Denmark
    France (except no gold coins)
    Germany
    Ireland (coins only if gold or silver)
    Italy (must be insured Priority Mail regardless of value)
    Netherlands
    Norway (no Norwegian coins)
    South Africa (only first-class registered)
    Spain (must be insured Priority Mail regardless of value)
    Sweden (value must be less than 100 Swedish crowns (15.00 US October 2008) )
    United Kingdom (must be first-class registered or insured Priority Mail regardless of value)

I'm only listing lower-priced coins where I'm not including insurance for the countries in bold. Not very many. And I have to be careful about Ireland. I'm sure no one will pay the enormous cost of registered first-class or insured priority mail for a low-priced coin. When I get to listing the valuable items, and will include insurance, I can add a few more but will then have to remove Sweden.

I got this information from the USPS website, country by country. I added a paragraph in my "All About the Seller" warning international buyers that they must make sure an item is legal in their country before buying.

Impressive- Very smart move I shall have to do the same once I can get HOLD of someone that has a clue about the Global Business Kit from USPS that can maybe GET me one!? geesh.. anyone from USA that might happen to have one, or with a post office or postmaster that has a clue? Maybe I could get one of those post offices to send me a kit.. LOL!

What a PAIN in the butt!

I've never heard of the Global Business Kit. Have you checked the USPS website? It's a pain in the neck to use, partly because it's so big and partly because their search brings up a lot of technical junk, but it might be worth a try. If you can get one, let me know. Are the kits free? A lot of their stuff is if you can just find the right page.

Yes- it is *from* the USPS website that I located the Global Business Connect Kit - it's sort of a "starter kit" with everything you need, info, charts, etc to get started shipping stuff internationally.

Local P.O. didnt have a clue about it- I had to call around a couple dozen places before I finally got handed the number of the USPS Business Development office .. and so far, have not been able to get a hold of anyone there yet

Thread Information