eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Learn Before Listing?

View pearlygirl555's Feedback (+203)
    All-About pearlygirl555
    View pearlygirl555's Listings
    Forum Posts

Question Learn Before Listing?

Hello!
    I have a $20 bill that I got while bartending some years ago. The front of it is normal, and on the back you can see the ink from the bill that was below it in the stack.
    I don't know anything about currency and I wonder if it behooves me to learn enough so that I can better describe this bill, or should I just list it and trust that the people viewing the listing will know what they are looking at?
    I'm not so concerned that someone will pay a moderate price for it and end up with something really neat. I'm more concerned that someone may pay a moderate price for it, and feel like I misled them somehow by not describing something that the cognoscenti would have mentioned.
    It was listed on the other site for about 2 days. I got a lot of very specific questions from lookers who seemed frustrated with my replies to their questions, but it was like we didn't have a language in common. When I posted it there I thought the photos would be self-explanatory but that didn't turn out to be the case, so I closed the auction before I got any bids on it. There is no one within a 2-hour drive of my home who could appraise it in person.
    Thanks in advance for your time and suggestions.
    "You're a guest of nature.....so behave!"

View FBNeNotes's Feedback (+1108)
    All-About FBNeNotes
    View FBNeNotes's Listings
    Forum Posts

Describe it... look at it for wrinkles, bends, tears and any other deficits. Then it MUST be scanned face and back at 150dpi.
    You can also go to a Local Barnes&Noble or Borders etc. in their Magazine rack.. look for coin mags, then look for a Mag titled Paper Money Values.

As a stab in the dark... the Grade will Most likely be "Fine".. and most likely not worth more than face value... unless it is an Error Note. Still not talking more than $60.00
    The rest is up to you.

Agree. I've found that with serious collectors, a bill is seldom worth more than face value (I had a 1953 issue ( I think it was.. my memory's foggy on that) $2 bill - US Dollars) unless it is crisp and uncreased - the $2 bill I had, appraised at multiple shops.. and it was worth - 2 bucks .. cause it had been folded, was worn and creased..

also had a silver certificate- same deal - face value.. since then, Ive just never bothered with collecting either paper money or coins.. unless I just happened to have a particular liking for them for whatever reason I.E. "just something to have"
    Many changes yet again, started a new venture, and you can watch my store grow here: Really Rural Woodworks

View pearlygirl555's Feedback (+203)
    All-About pearlygirl555
    View pearlygirl555's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thanks for the replies! I don't have a scanner and I suspect the photos will always be disappointing, so perhaps I'll just hang onto it. I'll remember the coin magazine suggestion for the next time we are in a city that has a Barnes & Noble; otherwise it is just us and the dogs, surrounded by cows.
    "You're a guest of nature.....so behave!"

Check with eBid to make sure you are permitted to sell it on here before doing anything.
    Don't walk in front of me..I may not follow-don't walk behind me..I may not lead-just walk beside me and be my friend.
    Albert Camus

PERSONAL RECORD SET
    27hours 30minutes without sleep

View FBNeNotes's Feedback (+1108)
    All-About FBNeNotes
    View FBNeNotes's Listings
    Forum Posts

Geeshhh why?? reply now, post is 7 Months old... always look at OP's posting date.
    To bad this thread cannot vanish now

Thread Information