eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Offer more sub catagories for model trains

View VandTnut's Feedback (+7)
    All-About VandTnut
    View VandTnut's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedo View Post
    I'd prefer a section for tinplate in Collectables, i.e. Collectables > Toys and Games > Tinplate Toys. I've been selling vintage tinplate pretty well in this section for the last two years. That's where buyers will expect to find this type of item. Personally I'd rather list Hornby O gauge, in that section, alongside other 'toys'.
    Any need for a cutoff year or are you OK with modern/recent production items in that category?
    Also, what about the items that are produced to be collected such as the Hawthorne Village and etc. items?

All-About VandTnut
    View VandTnut's Listings
    Forum Posts

Ok boys and girls.
    The way this works is we *discuss* things and come to agreement.
    Gazza reads the thread and acts upon what we collectively agree to.
    I've been waiting for everybody to make some input, seeing the numbers going up steadily on the thread being read but no additional comments being posted.
    The earlier we get the categories sorted out the less it will look like the mess that it is on GreedBay and the more attractive it will be for your customers so PLEASE everybody pitch in and help sort this out.
    I know what I want certain areas to look like and I feel positive that those of you with interests in other related areas feel equally strongly about how you would like things organized.
    You may have noticed that one of the other recent threads on model railroad categories disappeared. Admin will do that from time to time if they feel that a thread is not going anywhere. So loosen up those fingers and lets get to work.
    ED

View bh18088's Feedback (+2158)
    All-About bh18088
    View bh18088's Listings
    Forum Posts

A BETTER WAY MAY BE TO DO THE FOLLOWING AS I DID IN MY STORE:
    TOYS & HOBBIES>TRAINS>SCALES>HO(U.S. PROTOTYPES)> xxxx
    AND xxxx WOULD BE THE FOLLOWING SUB-CATS: STEAM LOCOMOTIVES, DIESEL LOCOMOTIVES, ELECTRIC LOCOMOTIVES, TRACTION & TROLLEYS, STRUCTURES, ROLLING STOCK - FREIGHT, ROLLING STOCK - PASSENGER, ETC. WITH SOME OF THESE BREAKING DOWN FARTHER AS TO NARROW GAUGES AND IF IT IS MASS PRODUCED PLASTIC OR CRAFTSMAN KITS. pLEASE FEEL FREE TO VISIT MY STORE TO CHECK IT OUT MY CUSTOMERS WHO HAVE STOPED BY SAID IT IS EASY TO FIND THINGS UN-LIKE EBAG-IT.COM HERE IS THE LINK TO MY #1 STORE; http://us.nine.ebid.net/stores/BOLEZ-HOBBIES Also note that it startas with ebids current sub-cats with my subs below each scale and I include things like scenery items, glues, paints etc. under scales other as these items are suitable for any scale no matter which they are marketed for(all scales) same with tools.

All-About VandTnut
    View VandTnut's Listings
    Forum Posts

Yes, your store is very well laid out. Like browsing through a hobby shop What I had in mind when I started suggesting this discussion.

I do feel that it is a very good idea to separate the tinplate and mass market items out into separate categories from the limited run and craftsman grade items.
    I would like to be able to filter to eliminate at the first level of search for example: Marx, Lionel, Bachman, Tyco, American Flyer so I'm not looking at anything from them when I am looking for items that are similar to popular items from them but only from the limited production manufacturers.
    I'm sure the opposite holds true from the tinplate collectors perspective.
    The bargain hunters or those looking for a train set for childrens play will find it a lot easier and less confusing if the majority of the Bachmann (not Spectrum) and Tyco class items are rounded up in a popular priced/mass marketed section.
    ED

Forum Lurker
    View jayl1's Feedback (+3376)
    All-About jayl1
    View jayl1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Ed,
    There are actually many Tyco collectors. I am usually asked for Tyco at shows I do.

Lionel (Pre-war/Post-war) , American Flyer, & maybe Marx - or other tinplate - (how many selllers would carry them?) should have separate catagories.

I think a catagory for "cheapie" trains isn't necessary. Include them in the same catagory as the brand - maybe Bachmann/Spectrum could be a catagory. Perhaps a buyer would buy a better quality item instead of a Bachmann "white box" junker. Then there is also the Lifelike/Proto 1000/2000 series to be considered. We can get too strict in catagories. Not everyone is as train crazy as we are.

Thanks - Jay
    We specialize in North American model railroading as well as North American railroad books & postcards.

Railroad Books (under construction!) - http://us.ebid.net/stores/Jays-Books and
    Model Trains - http://us.ebid.net/stores/Take-the-JTrain and
    Railroad Post Cards (under construction!! - hundreds to come!) -http://us.ebid.net/stores/Js-Railroad-Post-Cards and
    Railroad photos - http://us.ebid.net/stores/JTrain-Photos

All-About VandTnut
    View VandTnut's Listings
    Forum Posts

I do feel that there needs to be an area that the mass market items can be steered into.
    While I realize that many of the Tyco items are becoming collectable due to age/ scarcity in good condition there are a lot of just plain toy grade items out there.
    The category separations need to be as clear cut as early as possible to avoid confusion later on. Do you want to try to explain to a non-train person why we need to separate out High Dollar Spectrum Locomotives from $20 Bachmann "junkers" when the categories have been built or wouldn't it be easier to build the structure to take it into account in the beginning?
    There are only 1200 train items listed right now, give or take 50. I'm looking at the time when there will be 10 times that many to manage with an eye to maximizing the sales visibility for everyone.
    On greedbay the collectable grade tinplate doesn't really have a showcase.
    Meanwhile all the toy grade listings are swamping the mid-range listings where a lot of people are going to be spending the majority of their $$$$.
    The high-end merchandise will always float to the top if you do a search for highest prices first. It is the stuff in the middle I am most concerned about.
    Thanks for your input.
    ED

Forum Newbie
    View LTDS's Feedback (+1924)
    All-About LTDS
    View LTDS's Listings
    Forum Posts

Looks like you pretty well nailed it! What do you think about a category for custom painted, decaled, graffiti, tagged, and super detailed rolling stock?
    I'm preparing to start listing some of mine here after January 1st or?
    Will also do very limited ones on eBay to troll for more buyers to bring here! I've got several hundred of my buyers on my lists that I'm working with email promos, so far not many have signed up here yet tho! Might be they're getting a little confused with the way the categories are set up.

Forum Newbie
    View LTDS's Feedback (+1924)
    All-About LTDS
    View LTDS's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Use your store sub-categories for 'cheapie' items!

Quote Originally Posted by jayl1 View Post
    Ed,
    There are actually many Tyco collectors. I am usually asked for Tyco at shows I do.

Lionel (Pre-war/Post-war) , American Flyer, & maybe Marx - or other tinplate - (how many selllers would carry them?) should have separate catagories.

I think a catagory for "cheapie" trains isn't necessary. Include them in the same catagory as the brand - maybe Bachmann/Spectrum could be a catagory. Perhaps a buyer would buy a better quality item instead of a Bachmann "white box" junker. Then there is also the Lifelike/Proto 1000/2000 series to be considered. We can get too strict in catagories. Not everyone is as train crazy as we are.

Thanks - Jay
    I've had great success with listing many less expensive and 'for parts or repair' items in my previous greedbay store by using sub-categories under the scales as '99 cent bargains', '99 cent HO Scale bargains', 'Bargain Box', and 'Grab Bag deals'! Was doing great until I began to see the fees outpacing the sales!
    By using these kind of sub-categories in my own store it seemed to generate a lot of multiple item and repeat customer sales, some buying as many as 15 items at a time!
    Might save the programers a lot of work!
    Have a look at my store category layout. Not done yet, will be adding more as they develop!
    http://us.ebid.net/stores/Larrys-Trains-and-Detail-Shop
    Last edited by LTDS; 6th December 2008 at 03:52 AM. Reason: added store link

View gazza's Feedback (+2)
    All-About gazza
    View gazza's Listings
    Forum Posts

We've revamped the Trains category now to base it around Scale type.

Gazza
    eBid.net
    Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy
    GBP and USD Affiliate Program Re-Launched .. Promote eBid and earn
    Got a problem? Record it for us using http://screencast-o-matic.com/

Thread Information