Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coin Photos

Forum Master
    View poppa501's Feedback (+642)
    All-About poppa501
    View poppa501's Listings
    Forum Posts

Unhappy Coin Photos

The latest batch of coins I listed are ugly!! I'm using a Kodak Z650 digital with 6.1MP. It has a macro setting that I've been using. I use a tripod and the lens is about 4-6" from coin. I try to get the closest I can to fill up the viewfinder, but these turned out terrible. Check out my store and look at the Kennedy Halves. Every one of those coins are beautiful in hand, but they look like junk in the pics. I even put in a disclaimer in hopes that that would help. I also put a similar thread in the photography forum to see what they say. Any ideas-suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks--Poppa

See my post in the photo section
    Ken

For low cost Prints and Affordable Originals just Click the Logo

http://tinyurl.com/39bkpc/images/affordablelogo.jpg
    and check out my other stores

Ken's Cave

Fantastic Fotos Store

I invested in a magnifying glass set on a clear plastic riser, and two lamps with flexible necks so I can angle the light. I put the magnifying glass over the coin, focus the light from two sides, put my Kodak camera right on the glass, and click away. Sometimes I have to play with the light until I get a clear picture.

The only problem I have is (sometimes) the color tint changes when I move the lamps. A good example is my 1904 Indian penny. Both sides were taken on the same brown background! When the light got too close, it looked green, but the coin was the right color and clear.

Scanning the coins should work well.

Forum Master
    All-About poppa501
    View poppa501's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thefunstore View Post
    Scanning the coins should work well.
    I may have to go back to scanning. I wasn't really happy with them either, but would be better than what I've got now. Gonna try some manual settings on my camera and see if that does better. As soon as I figure out what f-stop, iso,etc, is!
    Last edited by poppa501; 8th October 2008 at 08:13 PM. Reason: spelling

I found out digital using close up dont zoom in close or you wll get terrible out of focus, light plays big part in showing great coin , most sites give you enlarge shot.. Opessssss sorry for my caps about blind lol

Forum Master
    All-About poppa501
    View poppa501's Listings
    Forum Posts

Latest batch better,but---- Maybe the prob is I'm taking the pics with the coins in the 2X2 holders. Seems to pick up a lot of scratches, lint, etc. Wish I could focus through that to the coin. Don't want to take em all out then put em back in. Too much hassle! will keep on tryin
    Poppa

yes the plastic on 2x2 will show scratches and give to much shine, like i said dont try to much close up hat was my biggest mistake

Forum Newbie
    View olddiecast's Feedback (+126)
    All-About olddiecast
    View olddiecast's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Coins

Hi,

I find a dark background helps take the glare off silver coins. Zinc is awful to try and take shots of, I have never managed them properly. Any coin, just when I think I have the right set up I try it again and it fails!! So now I usually take several shots of a group, mixing the order of them, and cut the best shots out. At the moment I am using generic pics but will change them in the near future to actual shots of the coin listed.
    The pen may be mightier than the sword but I'd still rather have a cutlass than a parker in a fight

Amazing Triops!!!, Magic t-shirts, Toys and more

Forum Master
    All-About poppa501
    View poppa501's Listings
    Forum Posts

Been readin'--no really! Lots of stuff on the web about coin photography. Everyone seems to have a different solution. Am trying some different settings on the camera and some different lighting. Pics much better, but still not completely satisfied. Read one article about using a milk jug to diffuse the light. Its cheap, might try it. Thanks for all the replies and tips folks.
    Poppa

Thread Information